Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Something noticed last night

Something noticed last night

A small thing but I was curious if anyone noticed this last night.

Both when Duncan came in to talk to Franklin in the Votto AB and when Molina came to talk to him in the Phillips AB, everyone completely blew the umpire off when he came to break up the meeting.

During the Votto AB, I saw the umpire say something like 3 seperate times and they kept ignoring him. I'd never seen anyone blow off the umpire quite so obviously.

Is there anything an umpire can do?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Something noticed last night

Completely agree. It was ticking me off... ump needs to assert himself there. Looked like he was listening to the conversation, waiting for it to end instead of making it end.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

After the third time, I'd hope the umpire say, "The next pitch is a ball and I don't care where you throw it."

Haunted by walks

More likely, "Wrap it up or someone gets tossed."

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    More likely, "Wrap it up or someone gets tossed."
    LOL that's exactly what I said when a coach tried to big time me like that at an all-star game I was umping one time. You don't see it as much in the big leagues, b/c I guess most managers/players already know you can't mess around with major league umps like that. I see that sort of disrespect all the time with other "amateur" umps however who don't assert themselves as being the "boss" of the situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

I noticed it as well but since the Cardinals are all great and powerful..... They themselves will tell the umpire when they are done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post

Is there anything an umpire can do?
    I had a similar incident this past spring in the IHSAA tournament where I went out to break up a conference. The coach kept talking while I was telling him we needed to play. So I kept interrupting him till he left the mound.

The situation last night was interesting because the HP umpire has been in MLB for 12 years, so it's not like the Cards were taking advantage of a rookie umpire.http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info...io.jsp?id=2366
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?