Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: RUMOR: DODGERS and REDS talking trade?????

RUMOR: DODGERS and REDS talking trade?????

This is a really weak rumor so take it for what it is worth. My son-in-law lifelong Dodger fan says his fellow fans are telling him that a rumor has a Aaron Harang for Matt Kemp trade is the works.

The Dodgers are looking for an innings eater, I know that, and the guys on the Fox telecast just affirmed that with a passing comment. With Manny back, the Dodgers want to work Juan Pierre into their line up. The only problem is they cannot play 4 outfielders.

Too me, if they did this trade, they would have the worst centerfielder (and the worst outfield) maybe in baseball history.

Anyway, this is the weakest rumor I have ever posted....so take it with a grain of salt.
    "Is there a problem officers?"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RUMOR: DODGERS and REDS talking trade?????

Who would have the worst CF and OF in history, the Reds or the Dodgers? I assume the Dodgers, but you never know.

You know, I'd rather do it for Arroyo, but I'd still discuss it.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

I actually kind of love that deal. Kemp is a great player and would fit into the lineup really nicely. I would think such an acquisition would also free up Heisey/Stubbs for other deals. It would hurt to let Aaron go, but I have to think a top young CF is a pretty good return.

Anyway, if nothing else, this should be an interesting trade deadline with Arroyo and Harang likely on the block.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    Anyway, this is the weakest rumor I have ever posted....so take it with a grain of salt.
    Ya never know.

That's an interesting idea.

Then a platoon of Taveras and Dickerson in LF?
    Last edited by reds44; 07-04-2009 at 06:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

I would pull the trigger on that one. It would be a tough one to swallow but Kemp is exactly the kind of target you want for Aaron Harang. Young, locked up for a few years still and quite good.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Not that I don't believe you Red in LA but I don't buy it if that's the deal. If there is more to it perhaps. #1 reason being dollars of which the Dodgers alledgedly aren't taking on salary or much anyway. #2 If it did happen it wouldn't likely occur until Volquez got back (in a few weeks) and looked fine after an outing or 2. And #3 the Reds would be helping a team that they may end up facing assuming they were to make the playoffs.

If there is more to the deal I might be able to see it otherwise I just don't. And I'd still rather have Scott Hairston (OPS of .904) at a much cheaper price (in terms of return). Then again maybe they are talking potential deal in August. With the economy the way it is less teams will risk claiming a player on waivers with a sizable contract so Harang might be able to slip thru, but I doubt it.

Oh yeah and I'd rather have martin or Ethier but Kemp for Harang just talent wise I'd be willing to consider at this point.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 07-04-2009 at 06:15 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Geez, I like Harang a lot. But for Matt Kemp? Sign me up.
    Good hitter. Young. Good fielder. Added bonus: according to baseball reference, one batter he is similar to is Bruce Campbell - so we wouldn't have to worry about the armies of the undead, either!

I'd take Kemp over JHJ any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Who would have the worst CF and OF in history, the Reds or the Dodgers? I assume the Dodgers, but you never know.

You know, I'd rather do it for Arroyo, but I'd still discuss it.
    The Dodgers, sorry I didn't make that clear. The dodgers would have to play Manny in LF and Juan Pierre in CF. Pierre is narely adequate as a LF, and as a CF he would be plain awful.

But the Dodgers love having Furcal and Pierre in their order and I think they would put up with the defense.

Harang is exactly the kind of stallworth the Dodgers need. As the Fox boys pointed out, the only Dodger pitcher who regularly goes past 5 innings is Billingsly.
    "Is there a problem officers?"

Pretty easy decision if I'm the Reds GM.

31 year old pitcher, with $25.25M left on a two year contract (or $14.5 on a one year), who probably will be the #3 at best pitcher on the staff, during those years,

for a

24 year old CF, who hasn't even hit arbitration yet, who would be the Reds cleanup hitter for the next three years, at least, easily projecting to have an .850+ OPS playing in GABP.

Even if the Reds didn't need offense in the worst way, and had enough starting pitching both at the MLb level and in the minors that Harang would not be missed that much, I would still do this trade as fast as I could, before the Dodgers came to their senses.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Harang at Dodger stadium? He'd be one of the top three pitcher in that division.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Harang at Dodger stadium? He'd be one of the top three pitcher in that division.
    But he'd go from no offense to no defense, poor dude.

Harang isn't as defense dependent as some. Fly balls are a lot easier to catch than GB's
    Suck it up cupcake.

I'd do that trade but not with the idea that we're competing in 2009--I just don't see us doing that without Harang.

Turn Off Ads?