Re: Position Review: Shortstop

Well there are 4 vice presidents.

Code:
    Bob Miller      Vice President and Assistant General Manager
    Bill Bavasi      VP of Scouting, Player Dev. and International Ops
    Jerry Walker   Vice President and Special Assistant to the GM
    Dick Williams   Vice President of Baseball Operations

sorry to bring up any politics, its just my belief that there are very few people that care what the president does day to day, they only care when we buy GM, go to war, or give health care, etc; most days nothing happens that specific day that affects our individual lifes. Besides, that's not really the point I was trying to make, only that Dusty's job has much more pressure than some realize or are willing to admit. And no, its not more pressure than the president's job.

anyhoo, back to SS, I like the direction they've taken this position in the last season +. Outside of Cozart, most of its in the low minors, but there's a base forming that could turn it into a position of strength in a few seasons. Good pitching and SS depth can easily be flipped to get strong at other positions on the major league club.

I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    My point is that it strikes me as gratuitous to suggest that Baker doesn't put in the hours and is slacking. But that's typical for RZ where the disdain for Baker runs constant and deep. Oh well, par for the course around these environs.
    Dusty's exact quote as to what he was going to do with Drew Sutton: "I haven't seen him. So, he'll sit for a few days."

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Well, let's see. You have to be a priest, a psychologist, a general, a babysitter, a cheerleader, a philosopher, a speech writer, a teacher, among others. And every decision you make is dissected and torn apart by thousands. Not only that, five or six guys each night write an article that praises or tears you apart. And, when you happen to step out of the dugout, you hear boos. Lots of them.

And, if any of those people happen to hear you being negative or perhaps you don't communicate what you want, you hear it double the next day.

I'd say being an mlb manager is among the highest stress jobs in the country.
    In Dusty's case all you have to do is be stubborn.

No, it's not even in the top 33% of high-stress jobs in the country. Not the way Dusty does it.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    I doubt most americans work 11-12 hours a day. I don't know what the average would be, but its gotta be less than 8.
    It's 7.6.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/atus.nr0.htm

Turn Off Ads?