Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Position Review: Shortstop

Re: Position Review: Shortstop

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    So that's what- 10-11 hours a day? So what? That's what most Americans work. It's a cushy job, there is no doubt about it.
    My point is that it strikes me as gratuitous to suggest that Baker doesn't put in the hours and is slacking. But that's typical for RZ where the disdain for Baker runs constant and deep. Oh well, par for the course around these environs.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

It's actually 12-15 hours a day, if you assume he's at the ballpark when the players arrive. Not to mention the hourse spent talking outside of the park.

It's a high stress job, too, with every idiot with a keyboard and a working knowledge of the infield fly rule thinking he could do better.

Yeah, cushy.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    It's actually 12-15 hours a day, if you assume he's at the ballpark when the players arrive. Not to mention the hourse spent talking outside of the park.

It's a high stress job, too, with every idiot with a keyboard and a working knowledge of the infield fly rule thinking he could do better.

Yeah, cushy.
    I'd gladly take it. You wouldn't?

I don't know about you, but I've had some high-stress jobs in my day. I'd hardly call managing a baseball game a high-stress activity.
    Go BLUE!!!

Well, let's see. You have to be a priest, a psychologist, a general, a babysitter, a cheerleader, a philosopher, a speech writer, a teacher, among others. And every decision you make is dissected and torn apart by thousands. Not only that, five or six guys each night write an article that praises or tears you apart. And, when you happen to step out of the dugout, you hear boos. Lots of them.

And, if any of those people happen to hear you being negative or perhaps you don't communicate what you want, you hear it double the next day.

I'd say being an mlb manager is among the highest stress jobs in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Well, let's see. You have to be a priest, a psychologist, a general, a babysitter, a cheerleader, a philosopher, a speech writer, a teacher, among others. And every decision you make is dissected and torn apart by thousands. Not only that, five or six guys each night write an article that praises or tears you apart. And, when you happen to step out of the dugout, you hear boos. Lots of them.

And, if any of those people happen to hear you being negative or perhaps you don't communicate what you want, you hear it double the next day.

I'd say being an mlb manager is among the highest stress jobs in the country.
    Like I said, I'd gladly take it. You wouldn't?
    Go BLUE!!!

Sure, I would. But I'd also like to be a surgeon and President. And those jobs are also far from "cushy".

I doubt most americans work 11-12 hours a day. I don't know what the average would be, but its gotta be less than 8. Of course most working americans don't get a 5 month break over the winter months.

none the less, I think its gotta be a much more stressful job than you're giving it credit for benihana. Sure it could be a fun job, an extremely rewarding job if your winning, and of course most are paid pretty well, but that doesn't mean there isn't stress involved. A manager isn't going to cure cancer to create world peace, but I garuntee you more people will have an opinion of Dusty's 3 hour performance during tonight's game than will have an opinion of what President Obama does today, baring a major new event/press conference.

Most people don't think themselves fully capable of leading this county, though each has ideas of how to do things "better". I'm guessing many at tonight's game think they could fill out the Phillies lineup tonight just as easily as their manager does, while making just as good of decisions, if not better on when to pull the pitcher, put in a pinch hitter, etc... Most people don't think about all the behind the scene stuff that goes on with a baseball team. Its a fun job, its an exciting job, heck alot of the day to day functions are not all that hard to even execute, but its also a stressful job for which most are well rewarded.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Seems to be on a fast track for a utility guy.

You are some one who seems to have first hand knowledge. Do you think Valiaka can stick at SS and be at least average defensively? My rule of thumb in the MI is if there are questions whether a guy has the defensive skills, then I really don't want him on a daily basis. SS is important enough that it should be a "no question" type IMO. Vailaika also has a history of batting average driven on base skills.His stint in the Hawaiin league a couple years ago flashed a big red warning sign and despite his contact skill, nothing has really addressed that weakness.

That is why Cozart has to be the man or its some one from outside IMO. Cozart seems to have requirement number 1 mastered (ability to field at the Major League level at least at league average). Requirement number two is the ability to contribute on offense (say .725 or better OPS). Cozart has some pop and his on base skills have been much better in 2009 than they were last year. You never really know about a guy's bat until he plays in the big leagues, but he seems to be the leading candidate IMO. If Cozart can hit seventh or eighth while being more than an automatic out, he's a perfectly fine SS while he's young and cheap. As he gets more expensive, I'd probably want more, but by then hopefully some one else (Rojas, Hamilton, Arias, Valor, etc.) may be on the horizon.
    I thought I'd pull forward the last post that specifically addressed the question of shortstops, etc. I hadn't intended to pull the thread away from the original topic.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Bookstore

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    but I garuntee you more people will have an opinion of Dusty's 3 hour performance during tonight's game than will have an opinion of what President Obama does today, baring a major new event/press conference.
    Um, seriously?

I think you may be suffering from too much exposure to RedsZone.

Sorry, I'm done hijacking this thread. On to shortstops!
    Go BLUE!!!

If we're getting back to shortstops, we might want to point out that our precocious Amsterdammer, 19-year-old Mariekson Gregorius, is now hitting .529 for Billings. Of course, it's only 17 ABs, but you know--get 'em while they're hot. (We won't mention last year's .155 in the GCL.) 6-1, 160, bats left. Apparently fields pretty well, considering the wooden shoes and all.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    If we're getting back to shortstops, we might want to point out that our precocious Amsterdammer, 19-year-old Mariekson Gregorius, is now hitting .529 for Billings. Of course, it's only 17 ABs, but you know--get 'em while they're hot. (We won't mention last year's .155 in the GCL.) 6-1, 160, bats left. Apparently fields pretty well, considering the wooden shoes and all.
    At 19, is he young for that level? Did he play in Holland or is he out of Curcao?

The Baseball Bookstore

Seems on the youngish side to me. I believe he's the second youngest guy on the team (after Daniel Corcino). It says he's from Amsterdam, so I'm assuming he's not a Curacaoian, if there is such a thing; or is it a Curiosity?

(In the interest of full disclosure, I stole the wooden shoes line from one of your posts a while back.)

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Seems on the youngish side to me. I believe he's the second youngest guy on the team (after Daniel Corcino). It says he's from Amsterdam, so I'm assuming he's not a Curacaoian, if there is such a thing; or is it a Curiosity?

(In the interest of full disclosure, I stole the wooden shoes line from one of your posts a while back.)
    Yes, yes. I recognized it. I'll waive the royalty though.

I wonder if there might not be a good thread in analysizing how our European players are progressing.

BTW, I thought 19 was probably young, so that number could be a bit more impressive, although he's been playing pro ball for a year and I'm guessing the Pioneer League is a mix of newbies and FSL and DSL players.

The Baseball Bookstore

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Um, seriously?

I think you may be suffering from too much exposure to RedsZone.

Sorry, I'm done hijacking this thread. On to shortstops!
    Not to hijack this thread, but yes I'm serious.

There will be 30k+ at the stadium to watch the reds/phils, plus another how many thousands watching on TV. I'm guessing very few people have any clue what Obama is doing today, good or bad, therefor, more people will specifically worry about what dusty does b/w 7 & 10 than what Obama does specifically today.

Now if we're talking overall body of work, if you will, then obviously more care about Obama, but far less than it should be. Heck, many americans couldn't even tell you the current VP or previous VP, there are far more ignorant people out there than you realize.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Not to hijack this thread, but yes I'm serious.

There will be 30k+ at the stadium to watch the reds/phils, plus another how many thousands watching on TV. I'm guessing very few people have any clue what Obama is doing today, good or bad, therefor, more people will specifically worry about what dusty does b/w 7 & 10 than what Obama does specifically today.

Now if we're talking overall body of work, if you will, then obviously more care about Obama, but far less than it should be. Heck, many americans couldn't even tell you the current VP or previous VP, there are far more ignorant people out there than you realize.
    I'm sorry, I cannot dignify this with a response.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?