Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another interesting story about Votto

Haunted by walks

Another interesting story about Votto

About the family in Dayton that provides his support. To quote from it wouldn't do it justice.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayto...xtype=rss_reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Another interesting story about Votto

I just finished reading that article and was coming here to post it. That's an amazing read. I highly recommend reading it. Tom Archdeacon is an awesome writer.

What a nice family.

I'm dying to know which Dragon's player fooled around with the family's daughter(s). Sure are some pretty gals, they look good with Joey. Glad to see he has extra support in the area.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

What's great to hear about this, beyond that he's a wonderful guy with a great support system is that he has very deep-rooted interest now in the area and the organization. In a time where not many players stay their entire careers with one team, perhaps Votto will be around Cincinnati for a long while. The odds may be stacked against it, but it sure is nice to see a great player, great individual be synonymous with one team.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Wow, what a fantastic article. I'm so glad Joey has a good support system here in Ohio and they sound like an really amazing family.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Great read. This was a bit of a neat look into the life of Joey Votto the person -- he sounds like a really grounded guy, something you don't always see from young athletes.

The mental image of him retiring to his hotel room after a road win to play online Scrabble with his former minor-league "host mother" is beyond amusing.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Is Joey allowed to smoke Cubans because he is Canadian?

Very cool article.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

It wouldn't have been well received here if it had been known that this was what he was doing while he was away from the team for those weeks. Joey was wise to keep his recovery approach to himself while he was in the middle of it.

We rake Bob Castellini over the coals a lot around here, but the column shows that he was right on target this time. Some things are more important than winning baseball games.
    /r/reds

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

I like the "don't mess with the daughters" rule. After seeing what they look like, talk about setting one up to fail. Dang.

Nice article. Votto's lucky to have this family in the neighborhood, and he's smart to realize that they're good for him. As Castellini says, it's a people business.

Very good article. The more I read about Joey Votto, the more I hope the Reds figure out a way to make sure he never plays in another uniform.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

A wonderful article about the man who is quickly becoming my all-time favorite Red. As someone from a former host family (though not for the Dragons), I completely relate with this article and some of the relationships that can develop--good and bad.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    I like the "don't mess with the daughters" rule. After seeing what they look like, talk about setting one up to fail. Dang.
    I like that rule, too.

But if I'm Mr. Trebnick, and I know Joey as well as he does, then I change the rules for him!
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Very good article. The more I read about Joey Votto, the more I hope the Reds figure out a way to make sure he never plays in another uniform.
    Absolutely. Impossible not to root for this guy.

I also liked the part where the mother said Joey watched every Bonds PA for one year. No wonder he is so good, Bonds approach was maybe the best ever in his later years.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?