Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Tour De France

2009 Tour De France

One of the best parts of being a teacher is getting to watch the Tour live in the morning with a ht cup of coffee. Say what you want about VS., but they do a fantastic job covering the tour.

As for the race itself, there are a ton of stories in this years Tour. Who will end up leading Team Astana, Lance or Contador, the defending Tour champ? Can Cadel Evans recover from last years disappointment? How will the Schleck boys do (Andy is going to be a beast)? This is going to be an exciting month.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2009 Tour De France

I think one of the best things about being a teacher is being able to sleep through the tour coverage every morning and then have my hot cup of coffee. Makes up for having to be at work at 6:30 every morning the rest of the year.

Actually, I really enjoy the tour. My college roommate got me hooked and I've always taken an interest since. I would love to see Lance do well again.

I was just wondering about when this started.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I just looked at the tour map. There's only three summit finishes in this year's tour. It's not necessarily a climber's race. Instead I think it's built for a racer who can pile up small time gains when the opportunities present themselves - e.g. someone like Lance Armstrong.

Already today we saw the field splinter due to some crosswinds and Armstrong found himself in the lead group that put 41 seconds on the rest of the race. I think you're going to see a lot of incremental gains like that and the key will be consistency more than single moments of excellence (though a breakaway in a relatively flat stage could enable a rider to pull off a surprise like Oscar Pereiro in 2006).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Anyone but Lance Armstrong, please.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Anyone but Lance Armstrong, please.
    Why?
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

I should clarify that last statement. Any but Lance Armstrong, as long as they are clean.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I should clarify that last statement. Any but Lance Armstrong, as long as they are clean.
    And you call yourself a Texan.

Lance is up to 3rd now. Jumped up from 10th. Go Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by sivman17 View Post
    Lance is up to 3rd now. Jumped up from 10th. Go Lance!
    He's now in 2nd overall and less than one second out of first place after 4 stages.

Great Phil Liggett line (in reference to some spectators in superhero tunics running alongside the bikers) "They look like ... well, they must be Australians I'm sure."

Lance is 3rd right now, BEHIND his teammate Contador by two seconds. Now that's not a huge number, but Contador made up 22 seconds on Lance in the most recent stage.

Personally, I think Lance would enhance his legacy if he backed off, announced they were all going to help Contador win, and played a good teammate.
    Everything I know about Lance tells me he won't do that though.

I want Armstrong to ride his best and let's see how good that is.

Ideally we'll see a few riders swashbuckling for the victory on the slopes of Mont
    Ventoux on the next-to-last day of the race and it would be high drama if Armstong was one of them.

There's also some young riders who might emerge in this race - Andy Schleck, Tony Martin, Vincenzo Nibali. I don't think any serious contender should be giving up the ghost to play domestique this early in the race, and that includes Leipheimer and Kloden.

Evil day in the mountains tomorrow. The Brothers Schleck are going to try to break Contador. Armstrong seemed to find a bit of the old Lance on the final climb today. Is he ready to step up if Contador cracks? Or will Kloden be the secret weapon on the Astana team? Defending champ Carlos Sastre continues to lurk, getting dropped and then climbing back to the field in every mountain stage. And Brad Wiggins, Christophe Le Mevel and Vincenzo Nibali are lurking close enough to pull a surprise if they succeed with a bold tactic or find some magic in their legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post

Personally, I think Lance would enhance his legacy if he backed off, announced they were all going to help Contador win, and played a good teammate.
    Everything I know about Lance tells me he won't do that though.
    I guess there's another side to Lance?
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?