Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arroyo= Batting Practice

Arroyo= Batting Practice

This guy gets lit up at an alarming rate. The Reds should bump him to the first team that agrees to pick up the majority of his contract. As I type this, he's given up 11 hits in 5 innings and his ERA is 5.85. I'd rather see Maloney get hammered for the league minimum than Arroyo get slaughtered for 13 million.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Arroyo= Batting Practice

Arroyo's stats are worse than 2 of the 3 seasons the Reds got from Eric Milton. Eric Milton.

Eric Milton.

I don't know. Usually during Batting Practice you get to sit about anywhere you want. Of course if Bronson keeps trending this way that may soon extend into the regular game as well.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

With his recent struggles and the news that he'll need CTS surgery, would there be any takers?
    Rounding third and heading for home...

At least pull him as a starter, and assign him to long-relief duty. We can't afford to be behind 5-0 in the 2nd inning of every game he pitches.

Too bad a reds fan can't win a Tundra if an opposing player hits the sign, because someone is going to off Arroyo

Put him on the 60 day DL and get the CTS surgery out of the way now. Use the spot to develop Homer and Maloney.

You have to wonder how long you deal with him throwing the way he has. He's not right. Arroyo isnt a world beater but even on his bad days he isnt as bad as he has been the last month or so.

something is wrong with him just from watching him. I dont think its a stretch to think his hands are messed up because of the CTS.

Starters in the majors who post OPS' Against over .820 don't continue to be given the ball every 5th day because they suck so bad, they are replaced by someone else. The exceptions are those players on bad teams or small markets who have big contracts.

Bronson's OPS Against month-by-month:

2009:

July: Don't know what today's game was, but I have a feeling it was over 1.000
    June: .946
    May: .754
    Apr: .914

2008:

Sep/Oct: .747
    Aug: .660
    July: .737
    Jun: 1.072
    May: .712
    Apr: .967

He pitched really well for most of last season. It's probably his tendinitis/Carpal Tunnel that's killing him this year.

2007:

Sep/Oct: .794
    Aug: .908
    July: .693
    Jun: .878
    May: .828
    Apr: .599

Again, a better 2nd half, generally than the 1st half. Don't know if he can overcome that this season, though.

Think he needs a 30-day DL stint.

Hopefully this was his last start for a while.

From ORG:

Arroyo just said:

"I have been worse than this before"
    "I am having trouble controlling certain pitches."
    "I am fine physically"
    "I need to get ready to go face Johan Santana"

Not from ORG:

So, you're saying Bronson, that you've just sucked all season and the reason you suck is because you just suck, not that you're sick.

Someone needs to tell Bronson that every other pitcher that's played as poorly as he has all season has had the ball removed from his hands a long time ago and had been replaced by anyone else who could do a better job.

It's only the $11M salary that allows him to be given the ball every night.

5-3 the last 8 games with 2 of those losses to Bronson and the other the Weathers/Baker fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    From ORG:

Arroyo just said:

"I have been worse than this before"
    "I am having trouble controlling certain pitches."
    "I am fine physically"
    "I need to get ready to go face Johan Santana"

Not from ORG:

So, you're saying Bronson, that you've just sucked all season and the reason you suck is because you just suck, not that you're sick.

Someone needs to tell Bronson that every other pitcher that's played as poorly as he has all season has had the ball removed from his hands a long time ago and had been replaced by anyone else who could do a better job.

It's only the $11M salary that allows him to be given the ball every night.

5-3 the last 8 games with 2 of those losses to Bronson and the other the Weathers/Baker fiasco.
    Bronson went through a similar stretch last season, and ended up having a very solid second half. I also remember hearing that same type bashing last season, as I'm hearing now. He'll figure it out, and I think he'll end up being an important piece of the puzzle down the stretch.....if he is still a Red.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Bronson went through a similar stretch last season, and ended up having a very solid second half. I also remember hearing that same type bashing last season, as I'm hearing now. He'll figure it out, and I think he'll end up being an important piece of the puzzle down the stretch.....if he is still a Red.
    I certainly hope he does reprise his 2008 second half. If he does Bronson would be another player I would hope to move over the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Agreed,
    Last year pre all-star break he was 7-7 with a 5.97 era, 1.66whip, and a 300+BAA

Last year post break he was 8-4 with a 3.47 era, 1.19whip, and a .246 BAA

In '07 his era was about 1.39 lower post break

Hopefully this season turns out in a similar fashion and its really not the CTS causing this.

skip his next start and give him a 2 week rest.

Last season C.T.S. wasnt a issuewith Arroyo right ? Seems like this is the main source of his problem this season right ? what's the Problem then with Him getting surgery to fix the problem not like it's doing much good sending him out there on his turn in the rotation to get shelled ?

Turn Off Ads?