Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: This Date In Reds History (7/7/09): Past Lineups

  1. #1
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    18,429

    This Date In Reds History (7/7/09): Past Lineups

    55 years ago (1954), a 5-4 11-inning loss at Sportsman's Park in St. Louis.

    Cincinnati
    Chuck Harmon 3b
    Roy McMillan ss
    Gus Bell cf
    Ted Kluszewski 1b
    Jim Greengrass lf
    Johnny Temple 2b
    Wally Post rf
    Hobie Landrith c
    Fred Baczewski p

    St. Louis
    Wally Moon cf
    Red Schoendienst 2b
    Stan Musial rf
    Ray Jablonski 3b
    Rip Repulski lf
    Joe Cunningham 1b
    Bill Sarni c
    Alex Grammas ss
    Brooks Lawrence p


    WP: Al Brazle (3-1)
    LP: Art Fowler (6-5)
    HR: None.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    18,429

    Re: This Date In Reds History (7/7/09): Past Lineups

    40 years ago (1969), a 5-3 win at San Diego Stadium.

    Cincinnati
    Pete Rose rf
    Jimmy Stewart lf
    Bobby Tolan cf
    Tony Perez 3b
    Lee May 1b
    Johnny Bench c
    Tommy Helms 2b
    Chico Ruiz ss
    George Culver p

    San Diego
    John Sipin 2b
    Larry Stahl lf
    Ollie Brown rf
    Nate Colbert 1b
    Van Kelly 3b
    Ivan Murrell cf
    Chris Cannizzaro c
    Tommy Dean ss
    Joe Niekro p


    WP: Pedro Ramos (2-2)
    LP: Tommie Sisk (0-6)
    Sv: Wayne Granger (11)
    HR: CIN - Pete Rose (8). SD - Van Kelly (2).
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  4. #3
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    18,429

    Re: This Date In Reds History (7/7/09): Past Lineups

    35 years ago (1974), the Reds swept a doubleheader at Riverfront Stadium vs. the Cardinals--winning the opener 2-1, and the nightcap 11-2.

    First Game
    St. Louis
    Lou Brock lf
    Tom Heintzelman 2b
    Reggie Smith rf
    Ted Simmons 1b
    Bake McBride cf
    Tim McCarver c
    Ken Reitz 3b
    Mike Tyson ss
    Bob Forsch p

    Cincinnati
    Pete Rose lf
    Ken Griffey rf
    Joe Morgan 2b
    Tony Perez 1b
    Johnny Bench c
    Dan Driessen 3b
    Cesar Geronimo cf
    Darrel Chaney ss
    Tom Carroll p


    WP: Tom Carroll (1-0)
    LP: Bob Forsch (0-1)
    Sv: Will McEnaney (1)
    HR: STL - Ted Simmons (11). CIN - Cesar Geronimo (3).

    In Game 1, Tom Carroll and Will McEnaney combined on a three-hitter for the Reds, as Carroll earned the win in his major-league debut, and McEnaney recorded his first major-league save. The only hits for the Cardinals were a leadoff homer by Ted Simmons in the second inning, a leadoff single by Tom Heintzelman in the sixth, and a two-out single by Reggie Smith in the eighth. Bob Forsch and Rich Folkers combined on a five-hitter in a losing effort for the Cardinals, as Forsch suffered the loss in his major-league debut.



    Second Game
    St. Louis
    Bake McBride cf
    Tom Heintzelman 2b
    Reggie Smith rf
    Joe Torre 1b
    Ted Simmons c
    Luis Melendez lf
    Ken Reitz 3b
    Mike Tyson ss
    Mike Thompson p

    Cincinnati
    Pete Rose lf
    Ken Griffey rf
    Johnny Bench 3b
    Dan Driessen 1b
    Dave Concepcion ss
    Cesar Geronimo cf
    Bill Plummer c
    Darrel Chaney 2b
    Don Gullett p


    WP: Don Gullett (9-6)
    LP: Mike Thompson (0-3)
    HR: CIN - Darrel Chaney (1).

    In Game 2, Don Gullett pitched a complete-game eight-hitter with 6 K's to get the win for the Reds. In the second inning, Darrel Chaney hit a grand slam off Cardinals reliever Rich Folkers after starter Mike Thompson walked Dave Concepcion, Cesar Geronimo, and Bill Plummer to begin the inning.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  5. #4
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    18,429

    Re: This Date In Reds History (7/7/09): Past Lineups

    30 years ago (1979), a 6-2 win at Riverfront vs. the Pirates.

    Pittsburgh
    Omar Moreno cf
    Tim Foli ss
    Dave Parker rf
    Willie Stargell 1b
    Bill Robinson lf
    Bill Madlock 3b
    Ed Ott c
    Phil Garner 2b
    Don Robinson p

    Cincinnati
    Ken Griffey rf
    Junior Kennedy ss
    Joe Morgan 2b
    Dan Driessen 1b
    Ray Knight 3b
    Cesar Geronimo cf
    Hector Cruz lf
    Vic Correll c
    Paul Moskau p


    WP: Paul Moskau (5-3)
    LP: Don Robinson (5-5)
    HR: PIT - Omar Moreno (5).

    Paul Moskau pitched a complete-game seven-hitter with 7 K's to get the win for the Reds. Cesar Geronimo was ejected from the dugout in the bottom of the eighth inning.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  6. #5
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,012

    Re: This Date In Reds History (7/7/09): Past Lineups

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    35 years ago (1974), the Reds swept a doubleheader at Riverfront Stadium vs. the Cardinals--winning the opener 2-1, and the nightcap 11-2.

    First Game
    St. Louis
    Lou Brock lf
    Tom Heintzelman 2b
    Reggie Smith rf
    Ted Simmons 1b
    Bake McBride cf
    Tim McCarver c
    Ken Reitz 3b
    Mike Tyson ss
    Bob Forsch p

    Cincinnati
    Pete Rose lf
    Ken Griffey rf
    Joe Morgan 2b
    Tony Perez 1b
    Johnny Bench c
    Dan Driessen 3b
    Cesar Geronimo cf
    Darrel Chaney ss
    Tom Carroll p


    WP: Tom Carroll (1-0)
    LP: Bob Forsch (0-1)
    Sv: Will McEnaney (1)
    HR: STL - Ted Simmons (11). CIN - Cesar Geronimo (3).

    In Game 1, Tom Carroll and Will McEnaney combined on a three-hitter for the Reds, as Carroll earned the win in his major-league debut, and McEnaney recorded his first major-league save. The only hits for the Cardinals were a leadoff homer by Ted Simmons in the second inning, a leadoff single by Tom Heintzelman in the sixth, and a two-out single by Reggie Smith in the eighth. Bob Forsch and Rich Folkers combined on a five-hitter in a losing effort for the Cardinals, as Forsch suffered the loss in his major-league debut.



    Second Game
    St. Louis
    Bake McBride cf
    Tom Heintzelman 2b
    Reggie Smith rf
    Joe Torre 1b
    Ted Simmons c
    Luis Melendez lf
    Ken Reitz 3b
    Mike Tyson ss
    Mike Thompson p

    Cincinnati
    Pete Rose lf
    Ken Griffey rf
    Johnny Bench 3b
    Dan Driessen 1b
    Dave Concepcion ss
    Cesar Geronimo cf
    Bill Plummer c
    Darrel Chaney 2b
    Don Gullett p


    WP: Don Gullett (9-6)
    LP: Mike Thompson (0-3)
    HR: CIN - Darrel Chaney (1).

    In Game 2, Don Gullett pitched a complete-game eight-hitter with 6 K's to get the win for the Reds. In the second inning, Darrel Chaney hit a grand slam off Cardinals reliever Rich Folkers after starter Mike Thompson walked Dave Concepcion, Cesar Geronimo, and Bill Plummer to begin the inning.
    I think I remember listening when Chaney hit that grand slam. But one shouldn't forget something as rare as a grand slam by Darrel Chaney.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  7. #6
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,012

    Re: This Date In Reds History (7/7/09): Past Lineups

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    40 years ago (1969), a 5-3 win at San Diego Stadium.

    Cincinnati
    Pete Rose rf
    Jimmy Stewart lf
    Bobby Tolan cf
    Tony Perez 3b
    Lee May 1b
    Johnny Bench c
    Tommy Helms 2b
    Chico Ruiz ss
    George Culver p

    San Diego
    John Sipin 2b
    Larry Stahl lf
    Ollie Brown rf
    Nate Colbert 1b
    Van Kelly 3b
    Ivan Murrell cf
    Chris Cannizzaro c
    Tommy Dean ss
    Joe Niekro p


    WP: Pedro Ramos (2-2)
    LP: Tommie Sisk (0-6)
    Sv: Wayne Granger (11)
    HR: CIN - Pete Rose (8). SD - Van Kelly (2).
    John Sipin and Van Kelly must have never had their picture on a baseball card since I have no recollection of those two at all. Expansion teams can bring out some names that were easily forgotten.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  8. #7
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,726

    Re: This Date In Reds History (7/7/09): Past Lineups

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Cesar Geronimo was ejected from the dugout in the bottom of the eighth inning.
    That is suprising.......of all the BRM I kinda thought Cesar was the most easy going.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

  9. #8
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    11,991

    Re: This Date In Reds History (7/7/09): Past Lineups

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    30 years ago (1979), a 6-2 win at Riverfront vs. the Pirates.

    Pittsburgh
    Ed Ott c
    Shortest name in MLB history.

    Pay attention to the open sky

  10. #9
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    18,429

    Re: This Date In Reds History (7/7/09): Past Lineups

    25 years ago (1984), a 14-4 loss at Shea Stadium in Queens.

    Cincinnati
    Gary Redus lf
    Duane Walker cf
    Dan Driessen 1b
    Dave Parker rf
    Wayne Krenchicki 3b
    Brad Gulden c
    Ron Oester 2b
    Tom Foley ss
    Mario Soto p

    New York Mets
    Wally Backman 2b
    Mookie Wilson cf
    Keith Hernandez 1b
    Darryl Strawberry rf
    Hubie Brooks 3b
    Danny Heep lf
    Mike Fitzgerald c
    Ron Gardenhire ss
    Dwight Gooden p


    WP: Dwight Gooden (8-5)
    LP: Mario Soto (9-2)
    Sv: Ed Lynch (1)
    HR: CIN - Dan Driessen (4). NY - Mookie Wilson (6), Darryl Strawberry (11).
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  11. #10
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    18,429

    Re: This Date In Reds History (7/7/09): Past Lineups

    20 years ago (1989), a 7-1 loss at Shea Stadium in Queens.

    Cincinnati
    Luis Quiñones 2b
    Todd Benzinger 1b
    Barry Larkin ss
    Eric Davis cf
    Rolando Roomes rf
    Joel Youngblood lf
    Marty Brown 3b
    Jeff Reed c
    Scott Scudder p

    New York Mets
    Juan Samuel cf
    Keith Miller ss
    Howard Johnson 3b
    Darryl Strawberry rf
    Kevin McReynolds lf
    Gregg Jefferies 2b
    Tim Teufel 1b
    Mackey Sasser c
    Sid Fernandez p


    WP: Sid Fernandez (7-2)
    LP: Scott Scudder (2-3)
    HR: CIN - Luis Quiñones (6).

    Sid Fernandez pitched a complete-game three-hitter to get the win for the Mets. The only hits for the Reds were a leadoff homer by Luis Quiñones in the sixth inning, a one-out pinch-hit bunt single by Herm Winningham in the eighth, and a two-out single by Rolando Roomes in the ninth.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  12. #11
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    18,429

    Re: This Date In Reds History (7/7/09): Past Lineups

    15 years ago (1994), an 8-7 11-inning win at Riverfront vs. the Pirates.

    Pittsburgh
    Carlos Garcia 2b
    Jay Bell ss
    Andy Van Slyke cf
    Brian R. Hunter 1b
    Orlando Merced rf
    Jeff King 3b
    Al Martin lf
    Don Slaught c
    Steve Cooke p

    Cincinnati
    Deion Sanders cf
    Tony Fernandez 3b
    Barry Larkin ss
    Kevin Mitchell lf
    Reggie Sanders rf
    Hal Morris 1b
    Bret Boone 2b
    Brian Dorsett c
    Erik Hanson p


    WP: Johnny Ruffin (4-0)
    LP: Blas Minor (0-1)
    HR: CIN - Jacob Brumfield (1), Hal Morris (7).
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  13. #12
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    18,429

    Re: This Date In Reds History (7/7/09): Past Lineups

    10 years ago (1999), a 2-1 loss at Busch Stadium in St. Louis.

    Cincinnati
    Pokey Reese 2b
    Jeffrey Hammonds rf
    Sean Casey 1b
    Greg Vaughn lf
    Barry Larkin ss
    Aaron Boone 3b
    Mike Cameron cf
    Jason LaRue c
    Steve Parris p

    St. Louis
    Darren Bragg lf
    J.D. Drew cf
    Mark McGwire 1b
    Thomas Howard rf
    Fernando Tatis 3b
    Edgar Renteria ss
    Alberto Castillo c
    David Howard 2b
    Darren Oliver p


    WP: Rick Croushore (2-2)
    LP: Scott Williamson (7-3)
    HR: STL - Darren Bragg (4).

    Darren Bragg hit a game-winning two-run homer with no outs in the bottom of the ninth inning to win the game for the Cardinals.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  14. #13
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    18,429

    Re: This Date In Reds History (7/7/09): Past Lineups

    Five years ago (2004), a 4-2 loss at Busch Stadium in St. Louis.

    Cincinnati
    Ryan Freel rf
    Barry Larkin ss
    D'Angelo Jimenez 2b
    Ken Griffey Jr. cf
    Adam Dunn lf
    Jason LaRue c
    Juan Castro 1b
    Brandon Larson 3b
    Jesus Sanchez p

    St. Louis
    Tony Womack 2b
    Edgar Renteria ss
    Albert Pujols 1b
    Scott Rolen 3b
    Reggie Sanders rf
    Jim Edmonds cf
    Mike Matheny c
    So Taguchi lf
    Woody Williams p


    WP: Ray King (2-0)
    LP: John Riedling (4-2)
    Sv: Jason Isringhausen (20)
    HR: CIN - Brandon Larson (3). STL - Jim Edmonds (18).

    Woody Williams, Ray King, Julian Tavarez, and Jason Isringhausen combined on a four-hitter for the Cardinals. The only hits for the Reds were a leadoff double by Ryan Freel in the first inning, a two-out solo homer by Brandon Larson in the fourth, a leadoff infield single by Freel in the fifth, and a two-out RBI single by Adam Dunn in the fifth. The home run by Larson was the final homer of his major-league career. Freel left the game in the bottom of the sixth inning with an injured knee, and was replaced in RF by Wily Mo Peña.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25