Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you watch women's sports?

Re: Do you watch women's sports?

I usually don't watch women's sports. Its not something I consciously avoid, its more that I don't have all that much time to watch sports and when I do (weekends mostly), there is a men's sports event on that I'd rather watch. I'll very occasionally watch women's tennis or maybe volleyball. I've got to be pretty desperate to turn on the WNBA.

Now, I also have watched a few thousand hours worth of soccer, volleyball, and softball practices and games that my daughters have played in. When my kids are involved in the game, I'll get very engaged. But if my girls hadn't been playing, I wouldn't give it the time of day.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

San Antonio has a WNBA team. I try to get my family to one or two of their games every year. Not many of their games are televised, but I watch at least part of them when they are.

Before moving to SA, I lived in Madison. Back there, we used to go to one or two Univ of Wisconsin women's games each year. We saw them play basketball, volleyball and hockey.

When we had little kids, it was a better option than the equivalent mens' events, because the tickets were cheaper and it was less crowded. With no one sitting near us, we could spread out. Also, the kids had more room to entertain themselves when they were tired of watching the game, the scoreboard or the mascots.

I don't seek them out on TV, but I will watch them.

It's probably worth mentioning that my kids are male and Mrs. U used to be a slick-fielding shortstop and a high-scoring point guard back in high school and college. I also graduated from a high school that supported its girls teams and rooted them on to several state championships during the decade I graduated from high school. Without the high school experience and Mrs. U's athletic experience, I'd probably go less frequently.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 07-09-2009 at 02:49 PM.
    /r/reds

Absolutely not.

Not really. I used to watch the occasional Chris Evert tennis match 30 years ago, and I usually watch the Olympics figure skating, but that's about it.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

only if they are shown on sportscenter in the last 2 minutes of the program. even then i might change the channel until they are done talking about women's sports

The Olympics are about it and I wouldn't have even remember that if others hadn't mentioned it.Although during the Olympics I also watch sports that make no since to me,seem pretty stupid for the most part and pretty much just suck in general.

I just love watching sports. Outside of golf and soccer, I'll watch just about any sporting event.

You won't watch soccer but you WILL watch women's basketball?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    You won't watch soccer but you WILL watch women's basketball?
    I'd rather watch 3rd graders play hoops than watch soccer.

I'd rather watch 3rd grade women's ping pong than any form of soccer

I feel sort of sorry for you guys... it would really suck to go through your entire life without ever getting to watch and enjoy the spectacle, competition, culture and world-class play that accompanies a World Cup.

I understand, however, that if you weren't raised to understand and appreciate the sport or didn't play it extensively as you were growing up it can seem foreign, boring, and hard to follow.

Not since Anna Kournikova "retired"
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

A few Olympic women's sports I really enjoy, but no professional or college at all.

I've really started to enjoy watching soccer more and more (men's soccer). I actually find it very similar to baseball where there are many small situations and plays that can make an otherwise boring sport really very exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I feel sort of sorry for you guys... it would really suck to go through your entire life without ever getting to watch and enjoy the spectacle, competition, culture and world-class play that accompanies a World Cup.

I understand, however, that if you weren't raised to understand and appreciate the sport or didn't play it extensively as you were growing up it can seem foreign, boring, and hard to follow.
    Agreed. My European friends don't get baseball or American football at all. Personally, I don't understand the disdain for soccer, but then I don't understand the interest in fantasy sports or UFC either. To each his or her own, I suppose.

As for watching the women- I like to watch the LPGA. They hit the ball more like normal humans and I can relate better to their game than to the men. Driving a ball 330 yards and gouging it from the rough is not my game.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?