Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds Top Prospects- Midseason Edition

Re: Reds Top Prospects- Midseason Edition

This year, it was clear that the Reds had several relievers ready to help in the big leagues.

In 2011, a number of the listed guys should be ready to help.

Next year, however, 2010, I'm not sure the Reds have much in the minors to help the big club. Maybe one of Stubbs/Heisey. Maybe if one of the AA guys blossom very quickly at AAA -- perhaps Stewart or Frazier or even Alonso. But mostly these guys seem on a 2011 track.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    This year, it was clear that the Reds had several relievers ready to help in the big leagues.

Next year, however, 2010, I'm not sure the Reds have much in the minors to help the big club. Maybe one of Stubbs/Heisey. Maybe if one of the AA guys blossom very quickly at AAA -- perhaps Stewart or Frazier or even Alonso. But mostly these guys seem on a 2011 track.
    IMO here are a list of players I see making their big league debut in 2010 baring injury.
    Stubbs
    Heisey
    Alonso
    Frazier
    Valakia
    Cozart

I don't see Stewart or Wood doing anything except for a late season call up.

Stewart should be ready halfway through the year. So, too, Frazier (at the latest), wherever he may play. Both Heisey and Stubbs should be ready, as should Dorn, Valaika, Sutton, Viola, and possibly Rosales. And, while most (all?) won't be stars, some (Hesey/Stubbs, Frazier, perhaps Valaika and Dorn) will start and all should help with depth at the least.

In short, that's a lot of depth.

Behind them, in 2011, Wood, Alonso, Francisco, and perhaps Horst should be ready, assuming none are dealt. There's also more depth available at that level, in Cumberland and Henry.

The Cincinnati pipeline is pretty stacked at this point, with solid depth. There aren't any stars, but there's enough stuff to help out the main club, certainly, at least over the next few years.

I think these views on 2010 are optimistic. Yes, if injuries occur there could be some callups as fill-ins, but other than the two centerfielders I don't see any likely significant 2010 contributions.

September of 2010 I see a number of arrivals, some of whom could help in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Mostly agree.

However, there are several guys who could easily stick next year and contribute in the bigs, in the following order of likelihood:

(I should have included the ETA for each player on my initial list, something I have done in the past)

READY TO CONTRIBUTE OPENING DAY 2010

Drew Stubbs/Chris Heisey- Enough has been said about these guys, but one of them should be at least platooning with Dickerson if not starting everyday in CF beginning on Opening Day. Obviously what happens with Willy T remains to be seen.

Chris Valaika/Drew Sutton- Sutton already debuted last month, but at least one of these guys if not both should be the utilityman on the big club. You could add Adam Rosales to this category as well.

Pedro Viola/Bill Bray- Much like Roenicke and Fisher this year, both of these guys will be ready to step in and provide yet another lefty arm out of the pen should Herrera stumble or Rhodes be injured/traded, and should be ready to do so on Opening Day.

Danny Dorn- Assuming he continues to mash in Louisville, the Reds could probably afford to let Nix leave and let Dorn be the go-to left-handed bat off the bench for 2010.

Matt Maloney/Sam LeCure/Ramon Ramirez- While I expect at least one of these guys to be moved before next season in order to make room in Louisville for Stewart, Wood, and Smith/Avery, the one(s) that remain will be ready to handle spot starting duties all season long should the big club require it. They are even ready to do so right now.

SOME CONTRIBUTION IN 2010

Todd Frazier- I honestly believe he should be playing everyday next year, either at 3B or LF. He may not start Opening Day, but should be up contributing on a regular basis by mid-summer. ETA: April-June 2010

Zack Cozart- His glove is ready now, and his stick has been impressive this year in Carolina. He should get a taste of Louisville before the end of this season, and with a very strong ST could be in the mix for a roster spot (and potentially the starting SS job next season.) More likely, however, he'll begin 2010 in Louisville but should get plenty of reps in the big leagues by midseason, especially if the Reds don't acquire a SS this offseason. ETA: June 2010

Zach Stewart- While he will certainly begin the year in Louisville (presumably in the rotation), I wouldn't be shocked to see him take on a bullpen/swingman role for the big club by the All-Star Break. Much like he did this year with starting in AA then relieving in AAA, he could do the same next year starting in AAA then relieving in the bigs. If ever there was a pitcher to be eased into the bigs via the bullpen, Stewart is the guy. ETA: July 2010

Yonder Alonso- I am more conservative than most when it comes to Alonso. I'd like to see him finish 2009 in Carolina once he returns from injury, and barring a sensational ST and a volunteer from Votto to move to LF (quite unlikely), I'd like to see him spend at least a half season in Louisville next year before making his debut. ETA: Late summer 2010
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Yonder Alonso- I am more conservative than most when it comes to Alonso. I'd like to see him finish 2009 in Carolina once he returns from injury, and barring a sensational ST and a volunteer from Votto to move to LF (quite unlikely), I'd like to see him spend at least a half season in Louisville next year before making his debut. ETA: Late summer 2010
    This is a sentiment that I just don't understand. I don't see that in Votto's nature, on the one hand, and on the other hand, where is it written that he has any say anyway? But if Alonso's ready there, I can't imagine why Votto wouldn't be ready and willing to move out there. He wouldn't be the first to make a position move and I can't imagine that he'd make a fuss about it.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    This is a sentiment that I just don't understand. I don't see that in Votto's nature, on the one hand, and on the other hand, where is it written that he has any say anyway? But if Alonso's ready there, I can't imagine why Votto wouldn't be ready and willing to move out there. He wouldn't be the first to make a position move and I can't imagine that he'd make a fuss about it.
    Word is he's already expressed hesitation at such a move. I'm not saying he wouldn't do it, but that is the word. Generally, I don't think veterans who have proven themselves like moving positions for an unproven (and some would say spoiled) rookie. Realistically, Alonso could put up Votto-like numbers in a best-case scenario only. It's gotta be frustrating if you're JV to give up your beloved position for a greener guy that probably can't match your production (at least in the first couple years.)

But you're right, he doesn't have the choice. I wish the Reds would've persuaded/forced Dunn to play 1B years ago. The Reds could force Votto to LF if they so desired, but would you do that to a guy that's having the kind of year Votto is at age 26? Granted he's a 0-2 guy so he's under team control for a while, but would you want to risk alienating him before he's locked up to a long term deal?

Hopefully, he volunteers to make the move in the best interest of the franchise. That would be ideal, assuming Alonso continues to progress. It would also be another notch in his resume for future team captain.

But what if he doesn't? What if he resists? What do you do then?
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-08-2009 at 03:09 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

I think that Votto has earned the right to stick at 1B if he doesnt want to transition to the LF. It would be bad form for the Reds to insist on him moving to make room for Alonso.

What if the Reds gave him extra cash without adding extra years to compensate him for moving to LF?

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
    What if the Reds gave him extra cash without adding extra years to compensate him for moving to LF?
    I don't neccessarily think extra cash without adding extra years would be the best move, but I do think there are a couple of interesting levers you might be able to pull in order to give him a little extra motivation to move (if he needs it):

1. Offer him the official Team Captain position. Sure it might tick off Phillips a little, but is there really a better candidate than Votto? If it provides an extra incentive for him to move to LF, why not offer it to him upfront? Might also help later in extension discussions...

OR

2. Start extension discussions for a HanRam/Longoria-type contract. The only thing I'd worry about when discussing such an extension for Votto would be his extended absence earlier this year, but I'm sure certain insurance policies would guard against such circumstances should they arise in the future.

When the time comes, hopefully he does the captain-esque thing and volunteers to move. However, if he needs a little extra convincing, these two might be interesting "motivating tools" to help usher Votto's move to LF, of course, if/when Alonso proves he's ready.

Meanwhile in addition to Votto volunteering to move, a lot of things could happen between now and then that would make all of this moot, such as:

1. They decide Frazier is a LF, and he flourishes in the position next year, making Alonso expendable.
    2. Alonso does not progress as hoped, and he is not ready to take over 1B in 2011.
    3. Alonso is traded to fill another need.
    4. A "LF of the future" is brought in via trade (eg Matt Kemp, Michael Taylor, etc.)
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-08-2009 at 03:28 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
    I think that Votto has earned the right to stick at 1B if he doesnt want to transition to the LF. It would be bad form for the Reds to insist on him moving to make room for Alonso.
    I don't believe any player can earn the right to have their own wishes come ahead of the team's best interest. But this is nothing that needs to be addressed now. Yonder isn't knocking on the door and won't be for a while.

Alonso is destined to be traded. He's left-handed, he plays only one position--the one occupied by our best player--and he's on a major league contract. The writing is on the wall--the move of Frazier to LF being just further indication. Alonso is Matt LaPorta. I think we need to start wrapping our minds around this reality.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    Alonso is destined to be traded. He's left-handed, he plays only one position--the one occupied by our best player--and he's on a major league contract. The writing is on the wall--the move of Frazier to LF being just further indication. Alonso is Matt LaPorta. I think we need to start wrapping our minds around this reality.
    Actually, because of what you just wrote (yeah, just that little piece) I've been thinking the same thing for the first time... Seeing to what we could/or at least should get in return for Yonder I'd be all for it if we could get something to help the club.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    He may be, but he may not be. The question is, if the Brewers weren't in the position as they were last year, is LaPorta still a Brewer? If the Reds aren't in contention next year are they going to trade Alonso?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He may be, but he may not be. The question is, if the Brewers weren't in the position as they were last year, is LaPorta still a Brewer? If the Reds aren't in contention next year are they going to trade Alonso?
    The answer is, if they can trade him for a similar prospect at a position of need, probably yes.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    The answer is, if they can trade him for a similar prospect at a position of need, probably yes.
    When was the last time two big prospects were traded for each other?

Turn Off Ads?