Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monty Python Turns 40, Plans Reunion and DVD Series

Monty Python Turns 40, Plans Reunion and DVD Series

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/new...dvd-series.php

It seems fitting that I was just spending the afternoon the other day watching several hours of behind the scenes features on my Blu-ray copy of Monty Python’s Life of Brian, as news from the Python camp today is that the gang is getting back together to celebrate their 40th Anniversary later this year.

According to The Independent, four of the main six stars — Michael Palin, Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Terry Gilliam — will get together for the first time in over a decade to take part in the musical adaptation of Life of Brian, called Not the Messiah (He’s a Very Naughty Boy). John Cleese will be unable to attend due to a previous engagement and as you probably know, Graham Chapman died in 1989.

Idle, who stars in the production which he co-wrote with composer John Du Prez, said: “It is rare you get to be silly on a mass scale. It ranges in reference from Handel, through a naughty Mozart duet, to the Festival of Nine Carols, Bob Dylan
    , and the classic finale Always Look On The Bright Side of Life.”

Not The Messiah features guest appearances from Palin together with other original Pythons Terry Jones and film director Terry Gilliam. Carol Cleveland, another regular from the TV series, is also to appear, together with songwriter Neil Innes. There will also be a six-part documentary series, Monty Python: Almost the Truth (The Lawyer’s Cut, which is being created to celebrate the 40th anniversary. That will be screened later this year (date unknown) in the United States and released later on DVD.

For Monty Python fans, this is fabulous news. And even though the show will make its run at Royal Albert Hall in Westminster, London, here in the states we can always hold out for the DVD. As a rabid Python fan — it is a common lunchtime event at Reject HQ for us to watch an episode or two — I can say that this is something worth being excited about. Especially when you consider what Terry Jones said of the doc series: “This is a documentary I always hoped that would be made – something so complete and so faithful to the truth that I don’t need to watch it.”

Yeah, color me excited.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Monty Python Turns 40, Plans Reunion and DVD Series

.......Clapping through my shackles..........

When I was a student at the University of Florida in the late 1980s, I saw Graham Chapman in the O'Connell Center when he came to campus on some sort of speaking tour. There were only maybe 500-600 in attendance that night and it ended up evolving more into an hour of Q&A with the audience.

He told absolutely hysterical behind-the-scene stories about working with the other chaps. Some of the most entertaining stories centered around his excesses with drinking vodka while filming "The Holy Grail." At the end, it was a bit sad. It appeared that he was struggling on what to do with his life after the Python years.

Of course, the whole Python troupe has seen a sort of renaissance since then (Spamalot, etc..); but this was a different kind of time for Chapman, who was still fighting substance abuse. I believe that he died about 1 year or so after his performance. I was so thrilled that I got to see him when I did.

Did anyone catch the Monty Python guys on Jimmy Fallon last night? Honestly, I wasn't expecting them to still have it, but they were as funny as ever. In fact, they were hilarious.

(On a side note, Fallon's show seems to be hitting its stride. I didn't think I was going to like it at all, but I'm really starting to like it.)

The Independent Film Channel will be running Monty Python stuff starting this Sunday night and running through the following Friday. They will showing the new documentary in six parts, as well as some of the episodes of their shows and some of their most popular movies. I've already got all of this stuff set up on the DVR.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

I heard yesterday that for 10 straight days Sirius/XM will broadcast Python bits, songs, movie clips, etc starting tomorrow Friday October 16th. Sirius Channel 105, don't remember XM station, maybe 147?

Here's to hoping I don't start singing out loud to the Lumberjack Song at an intersection next week.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Quote Originally Posted by PedroBourbon View Post
    Here's to hoping I don't start singing out loud to the Lumberjack Song at an intersection next week.
    There are worse songs you could sing, such as Every _____ Is Sacred, or Isn't It Awfully Nice To Have A _____
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PedroBourbon View Post
    I heard yesterday that for 10 straight days Sirius/XM will broadcast Python bits, songs, movie clips, etc starting tomorrow Friday October 16th. Sirius Channel 105, don't remember XM station, maybe 147?

XM 151, Laugh USA.

I caught a few episodes of a documentary on the Crusades hosted by Terry Jones. It was not only fairly informative, but downright funny as well. Worth looking into.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    The Independent Film Channel will be running Monty Python stuff starting this Sunday night and running through the following Friday. They will showing the new documentary in six parts, as well as some of the episodes of their shows and some of their most popular movies. I've already got all of this stuff set up on the DVR.
    Thanks for the heads-up about this. I would have been sick if I had found out about it after the fact.

I'd like Egg, bacon, sausage, and spam please.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

I am going to catapult some cows tomorrow!
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    XM 151, Laugh USA.

I caught a few episodes of a documentary on the Crusades hosted by Terry Jones. It was not only fairly informative, but downright funny as well. Worth looking into.
    Thanks for the correction ORH. I listened this weekend. It was awesome. Great radio.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

I wonder if there's not enough money for the Ministry of Silly Walks.

There IS defence you know.....
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

This week, the Independent Film Channel has gone hog wild with Python programming.

Great behind the scenes stuff if you dig that sort of thing as much as I....

The first two episodes of the new Doc have been great. Lots of new interviews with everyone and old interviews with Graham Chapman.

Really good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    The first two episodes of the new Doc have been great. Lots of new interviews with everyone and old interviews with Graham Chapman.

It'd be quite a coup if there were new interviews with Graham.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?