Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wednesday 7/8/09 Minor League Updates

Re: Wednesday 7/8/09 Minor League Updates

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    By my count, Wiley is now 10 for his last 17, with 4 homers, 2 doubles and 7 walks.
    Votto did the kid a whole lotta good, from the looks of it!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Coddington is 2 for 4 with a season avg at an even .300

I hope they both move to Sarasota and piss that Dayton writer off some more.

SOo what's the deal with Wiley? He's supposed to be one of the those "toolsy" guys isn't he? The OBP is "Tonys Gutierrez-esque" and he's starting to show some pop lately.

Kevin Barker 9 for his last 14 with 3 doubles and a HR.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

I was at the Bats game tonight. Not much to report. Drew Stubbs had a bad night in the field. Chris Heisey is a professional hitter. Wes Bankston can't play defense at third base. Chris Valaika wasn't very impressive. Ben Jukich had better stuff than I expected--he worked 87-89 mph on his fastball and hit 90 mph, but he only threw a couple of good breaking balls. Pedro Viola has great stuff--he worked 93-95 mph and hit 96 mph a couple of times, while throwing a wild but nasty breaking ball. Zach Stewart was effective. It seemed like he was sneeking his fastball by everybody because he wasn't throwing all that hard--working about 90-92 mph. I don't remember any great offspeed pitchers or anything, but like I said he was effective. The biggest observation of the night for me was the disappointing state of Jared Burton. He just isn't the same pitcher the Reds acquired a couple of years ago. He can't change speeds or get any movement on his pitches, and his fastball has lost a ton of velocity. He was only throwing 88-90 mph while occasionally touching 91 mph. He really didn't look all that different from any of the other pitchers I saw in the game...
    Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 07-09-2009 at 02:28 AM.
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    SOo what's the deal with Wiley? He's supposed to be one of the those "toolsy" guys isn't he? The OBP is "Tonys Gutierrez-esque" and he's starting to show some pop lately.
    in the games Ive seen Wiley play he looks like a pretty good athlete, some think differently. When he was drafted I thought him, Sappelt, Means were similar big strong CFs
    Last edited by icehole3; 07-09-2009 at 06:48 AM.

Zach Stewart was effective. It seemed like he was sneeking his fastball by everybody because he wasn't throwing all that hard--working about 90-92 mph.
    That's two reports like that. The Reds must have told him to slow things down a bit the rest of the season to rest his arm or something. Most people don't lose 3-4 MPH off their fastball after they move to the bullpen.

That's two reports like that. The Reds must have told him to slow things down a bit the rest of the season to rest his arm or something. Most people don't lose 3-4 MPH off their fastball after they move to the bullpen.
    He's supposed to have great movement.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    When he was drafted I thought him, Sappelt, Means were similar big strong CFs
    Sappelt is 5'9"
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Sappelt is 5'9"
    I guess I meant big like in built like Running backs and Linebackers big

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    I guess I meant big like in built like Running backs and Linebackers big
    I don't know- 5'9" 195 lbs. Still not buying it with Sappelt. I see what you mean with the others (Means and Wiley) though.
    Go BLUE!!!

Trust me Sapplet has some guns and he's built like a little fireplug, I dont have any video and these photos are hard to make anything out, when I saw him he reminded me of Billy Hatcher.

Last edited by icehole3; 07-09-2009 at 06:28 PM.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Sappelt is 5'9"
    Yeah, he doesn't appear to be that tall, more like 5'6".
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?