Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Report from Citi Field

Report from Citi Field

I went to the Saturday and Sunday games at Citi Field, and besides the disappointment in watching the Reds play like ... well, the Reds ... I thought I'd summarize the experience.

The ballpark:

- While anything is an improvement over Shea. This stadium is "nice," but lacks character and you can tell from the $18 parking to the fact that you can't walk 2 feet without some huge ad in your face that it's there to generate revenue. Honestly, you'd be hard pressed to guess that you were in the Mets stadium ... you don't see the team colors or logo or very much Mets' historical stuff anywhere. GABP, Pittsburgh and San Francisco are much nicer "new" stadiums.

- It's an absolute cavern, the anti-Yankee stadium. The Mets will need a CF-level defensive player to cover all of the ground in RF.

Saturday's game:

- Cueto had good velocity, but was really struggling with control early. The two hits were bloops, not hit very well. He settled down, surprisingly, and wasn't too bad after that.

- Ramon Hernandez hit a bomb to CF in the top of the first that would've given the Reds a 3-0 lead in most parks.

- Gomes hit a flyout in the 4th or 5th that would've been a 2-run homer in GABP.

- Bruce probably doesn't have to slide for that fly ball in GABP (the play where he hurt his wrist). But there's so much space in RF, he was stationed 15-20 feet deeper than he'd have to play in GABP.

Sunday's game:

- Harang, according to the Citi Field gun, was in the mid-to-high 80s. He had nothing. I don't think he touched 90.

- Votto was the first of many Reds to get mad at Welke's strike zone. But what the heck took Dusty so long to get out there to keep Votto from getting tossed?

- Tavares must get the worst jump on the ball than any OF in the majors. And if he's not going to steal when he gets on, what good is he. Speed is his only positive.

- Manuel was throwing mid-70s to low-80s according to the gun. I thought he threw harder for some reason.

- Weathers was apparently on vacation already, as he threw batting practice fastballs over the heart of the plate.

- I don't know any ballplayer that looks like he enjoys playing the game as much as Brandon Phillips.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Report from Citi Field

I like CitiField. Of the ones I've seen, it's probably my favorite "new" stadium. Tremendous amenities, eateries, shops, fan-friendly areas, not a bad seat in the house, just a terrific stadium IMO.

I was there Friday. When Arroyo's fastball is popping, like Friday, he's excellent. When his fastball is subpar hitters just wait for his junk and slam it. On Friday, he had his good fastball.

The only other comment about Friday is that Taveras made just a great play in centerfield in the first inning. He covers a tremendous amount of ground out there. Yes, he doesn't always take the best route, he may not be instinctively a great outfielder, but he covers lots of ground.

I've seen the Reds live now several times this year and I like the team. They play hard. They seem to have more fight than in past years. Now they need to add some more talent.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-13-2009 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    The ballpark:

- While anything is an improvement over Shea. This stadium is "nice," but lacks character and you can tell from the $18 parking to the fact that you can't walk 2 feet without some huge ad in your face that it's there to generate revenue. Honestly, you'd be hard pressed to guess that you were in the Mets stadium ... you don't see the team colors or logo or very much Mets' historical stuff anywhere. GABP, Pittsburgh and San Francisco are much nicer "new" stadiums. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I like CitiField. It's probably my favorite "new" stadium. Tremendous amenities, eateries, shops, not a bad seat in the house, just terrific stadium IMO. ...
    Two different people, two different opinions. It's kinda interesting that the two newest parks (both in NY) are complete opposites in one respect at least. One looks to be very much a pitchers park, the other a hitters park.

The only other comment about Friday is that Taveras made just a great play in centerfield in the first inning. He covers a tremendous amount of ground out there. Yes, he doesn't always take the best route, he may not be instinctively a great outfielder, but he covers lots of ground.
    He jogged after that the ball and then finally kicked it into gear. A better CFer doesn't have the dive for that ball, IMO. I've seen him play live four times now and I'm just not impressed with his defense. He takes such horrible routes to the ball. Not to pile on the guy, but I find it amazing that a major league CFer can be that bad at judging flyballs.

Thanks for the reports, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    He jogged after that the ball and then finally kicked it into gear. A better CFer doesn't have the dive for that ball, IMO. I've seen him play live four times now and I'm just not impressed with his defense. He takes such horrible routes to the ball. Not to pile on the guy, but I find it amazing that a major league CFer can be that bad at judging flyballs.
    He should've caught Wright's double. He waited on it and then didn't run full speed after it. After the screwup in Philly, maybe he was afraid of the wall?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Two different people, two different opinions. It's kinda interesting that the two newest parks (both in NY) are complete opposites in one respect at least. One looks to be very much a pitchers park, the other a hitters park.
    The amenities are standard in most new parks. The exiting is horrible (narrow staircases).

I don't think it's a bad ballpark, but of the new ones, it's my least favorite. I'm not a Mets fan, but I've heard a lot of complaints from Mets fans that it doesn't capture much of the Mets history. When you walk around GABP, there's no mistaking where you are.

Thanks for the reports, guys.

From where I sat, it didn't look like Taveras jogged after that ball. It was an outstanding play. He covered a ton of ground in the huge expanse of the Citi outfield.

Taveras isn't a great instinctual outfielder but he gets to a lot of balls. I'd rather have him than a guy who has better "routes" but doesn't get there.

Haunted by walks

It seems to me that CitiField is not necessarily a pitcher's park, but a different kind of hitter's park. A doubles, triples and bloop singles hitters' park.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    It seems to me that CitiField is not necessarily a pitcher's park, but a different kind of hitter's park. A doubles, triples and bloop singles hitters' park.
    it has a huge OF. Those double and triples come at the expense of HRs. BP hit 3 HRs in Philly ... none of them would have been a HR in NY. Some of those would HRs do not turn into doubles and triples, they turn into outs.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    After watching these last two games, I don't think I've ever seen so many bloop hits fall in in one series. It seems like every blooper the Mets hit fell in while the Reds were hitting deep flyballs that stayed in the park.

After watching these last two games, I don't think I've ever seen so many bloop hits fall in in one series. It seems like every blooper the Mets hit fell in while the Reds were hitting deep flyballs that stayed in the park.
    seeing as the Mets hadn't hit a HR in Citi in 80+ innings it is probably fair to say the OF should have been playing shallower.

Thanks for the review, NJReds. Good job.

That's an accurate statement. The Mets had a ton of bloop hits.

By the way, I never saw a replay of the Dickerson dive that was called a trap. From my view, I thought he caught it.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    That's an accurate statement. The Mets had a ton of bloop hits.

By the way, I never saw a replay of the Dickerson dive that was called a trap. From my view, I thought he caught it.
    It was a trap. Clearly. They showed the replay numerous times.

Until the Reds learn to hit in cavernous stadiums they are going to lose a ton of road games. They haven't hit in big parks in several years. They need more line drive hitters.

It was a trap. Clearly. They showed the replay numerous times.
    Thanks. They didn't show the replay on the big screen at the stadium and I was in the upper deck. It was hard to tell from there. Dusty came out to argue and Dickerson looked upset with the call.

Turn Off Ads?