Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Jays are also taking offers for outfielder Alex Rios & third baseman Scott Rolen

Re: Blue Jays are also taking offers for outfielder Alex Rios & third baseman Scott R

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    How long is Rolen signed for?
    Through 2010.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Blue Jays are also taking offers for outfielder Alex Rios & third baseman Scott R

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I suspect that a Rolen deal would be accompanied by an Encarnacion & prospects deal somewhere else for another player as well as a trade of Harang or Arroyo.
    Disagree with the second part at least.

Arroyo is pretty much untradeable right now. The Rolen acquisition would be meaningless if the club dealt Harang. The whole point of getting Scott Rolen would be to go for it in these next two years. Trading Harang (for prospects) would make that goal pretty difficult and would negate any benefit of a Rolen acquisition.
    Go BLUE!!!

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Disagree with the second part at least.

Arroyo is pretty much untradeable right now. The Rolen acquisition would be meaningless if the club dealt Harang. The whole point of getting Scott Rolen would be to go for it in these next two years. Trading Harang (for prospects) would make that goal pretty difficult and would negate any benefit of a Rolen acquisition.
    Yeah.

They do have to do something about the bread though. Rolen doesn't make peanuts.

I would be looking to upgrade the 2010 Reds because this years team isn't going anywhere. Count me in favor of Scott Rolen since he could potentially help the Reds next season. I wouldn't give up the farm to get him though.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 07-10-2009 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    The only thing about the Rolen deal is that the Reds would really have to be looking at some seriously creative banking to make the numbers work. I do imagine that Rolen would drive up ticket sales a bit as he's a name that casual fans probably know.
    The only thing we know about the financials is that the Reds cut their spending once the economy tanked. Whether or not that was a prudent move or a move of necessity is only known by the Reds brass. IMO Jocketty always seemed like a guy who was able to judge both the trade and FA market pretty aptly and maybe he told Cast to hold off on spending because players will be coming cheap at the trade deadline.

I will be very interested to see if the Reds do make a move, and if Wood and Frazier are involved in any trade. If they are it may say a little about the value that Jocketty placed on both prospects. If the Reds move Frazier there may be questions about him being able to stick at 3B or hit for enough power to play LF. If they are dangling Wood as trade bait then that may be the reasons behind him staying down in AA and putting up good numbers. A dominant Wood in AA ball carries much more trade value than a mediocre Wood at AAA.

At this point if they're going to go for it, that probably means at least two trades. But it also means there are no untouchables in a trade.

Wood, Frazier, Stubbs, Alonso. Everyone's on the table.

Has anyone seen any sign that Castellini is willing to increase payroll?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    If they are dangling Wood as trade bait then that may be the reasons behind him staying down in AA and putting up good numbers. A dominant Wood in AA ball carries much more trade value than a mediocre Wood at AAA.
    I said as much on the Minor League thread last night, and the same could possibly apply to Frazier as well. If the Reds acquire Rolen and EE is not in the deal, these are the two prospects most likely to go IMO.
    Go BLUE!!!

When is the press conference? I don't know if trading for Rolen is the answer, but this team needs to do something if it has a chance to compete this year and to get people to show up at the stadium after the break. (I think DFA'ing a certain CF would do as much)

As with any deal involving a big contract, the prospects involved would depend on how much money Toronto is sending with Rolen. If the Reds take the entire hit, the prospects aren't going to be as good. If Toronto absorbs some of the costs, they get better prospects.

Frazier - Wood seems steep if the Reds are footing the bill for the contract.

I doubt the Jay ares interested in sending cash ... they just ate $15M when they released Ryan.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    The signals have been mixed, and that's probably wise. For that matter, the question may not have a fixed answer, depending on the player(s) involved, Jocketty's persuasiveness and the team's cash flow.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Have we seen anything to the contrary?

I know we saw the Reds reign in the spending in this past off season but right now that looks like the prudent move. In a down economy there just weren't guys out there who fit the Reds needs, as well as the Reds switch towards pitching and defense.

I'm not sure the Blue Jays asking price for Rolen would be all that high for Rolen. They might look at this as more of a salary dump.

Blogging about Rolen from aboard the Keystone
    Posted by JohnFay at 7/10/2009 11:16 AM EDT on Cincinnati.com

This is a first. This blog missive comes from a moving train. I'm on my way from Philly to New York. The train is only way to go. Walk up buy your ticket for $64, 10 minutes later you're rolling. Lots of room. A plug for you laptop.

I saw the Scott Rolen thing from the Toronto Sun. Here's a link. I don't think the Reds have the money to pull it off. Rolen's health is an issue, although the Reds should have all the reports on him. Dr. Tim Kremchek did his surgery.

The Reds have to win two of three this weekend to even think about being buyers in my estimation. You don't add a 34-year-old making a lot of money (almost $6 million for the rest of the year), unless you think he gets you over the top. The Reds are in fifth place right now -- albeit 4 1/2 games back.

Rolen is Bob Castellini's kind of guy. He may be one of the players Castellini would bend the budget for. Rolen will make $11 million next year.

This could be nothing. The Reds have had internal discussions about a lot of players and they have scouts at a lot of games. But it's an interesting one to consider.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

Turn Off Ads?