Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Jays are also taking offers for outfielder Alex Rios & third baseman Scott Rolen

Blue Jays are also taking offers for outfielder Alex Rios & third baseman Scott Rolen

per mlb traderumors:

"Along with ace Roy Halladay, the Blue Jays are also taking offers for outfielder Alex Rios and third baseman Scott Rolen. They both carry hefty contracts, however, so deals could be tricky."

Can you see Rolen playing 3rd?? I wish he was 5 years younger sigh!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Blue Jays are also taking offers for outfielder Alex Rios & third baseman Scott R

Rolen has been past his prime for awhile now.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Re: Blue Jays are also taking offers for outfielder Alex Rios & third baseman Scott R

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Rolen has been past his prime for awhile now.
    He's still good, and probably still has another 2-3 quality years. I'd take him if the price was right.

I bet they are

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    He's still good, and probably still has another 2-3 quality years. I'd take him if the price was right.
    He makes over $11 million per year, and you can bet they are wanting to dump a hefty part of that salary.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Now is the time for Bob C to put up or shut up (about the 'win now').

The Reds could conceivably get Halladay, Rios & Rolen in one fell swoop. How? Simply by taking the big contracts of Rolen (OPS+ 128) and Rios (having an off year, hoping a change of scenery will help).

Halladay by himself would cost a King's ransom. But by taking on the big contracts (especially Rios's contract) the cost goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post

The Reds could conceivably get Halladay, Rios & Rolen in one fell swoop. How? Simply by taking the big contracts of Rolen (OPS+ 128) and Rios (having an off year, hoping a change of scenery will help).

Halladay by himself would cost a King's ransom. But by taking on the big contracts (especially Rios's contract) the cost goes down.
    Don't hold your breath
    Go BLUE!!!

High five!

Just heard a rumor that I posted in tonight's GT. The Reds get Rolen, the Jays get EE and a minor leaguer.

Just a rumor, don't know how credible.

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

I'm intrigued. Rolen hitting between Votto and Bruce opens up more than a few possibilities.

This is just patently wrong. Scott Rolen is currently OPSing .867 with GG defense. He can be moved for plenty of value.

Rios is somewhat arguable, but I'd reckon that there would be more than a few teams willing to give up something of pretty high value for him. It wasn't that long ago that he was bandied about being dealt straight up for Lincecum or Cain, and he hasn't been that bad to fall that far to decreasing Halladay's value.

Halladay will only be moved if the Jays are going to get a real haul for him. Guys like that don't get traded to dump salary, they get moved to alter the franchise. If you want those 3 players, prepare to suffer through a really really bad farm system, and a bunch of slary dumps at the ML level to make it happen.

I love the idea of Rolen, but not at his age and lack of power, especially for EE + anything more. I realize EE drives me (and many of us, here) crazy - but is his value so low that this is the best he can bring in? If they were including a minors player back to us, instead of us adding on, then ... I might be able to handle this trade.
    Yes we need help - but what if rolen's age catches up with him? We have this awful contract that is untradeable. So.. I vote "no" for EE unless THEY give us something back.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    This is just patently wrong. Scott Rolen is currently OPSing .867 with GG defense. He can be moved for plenty of value.

Rios is somewhat arguable, but I'd reckon that there would be more than a few teams willing to give up something of pretty high value for him. It wasn't that long ago that he was bandied about being dealt straight up for Lincecum or Cain, and he hasn't been that bad to fall that far to decreasing Halladay's value.

Halladay will only be moved if the Jays are going to get a real haul for him. Guys like that don't get traded to dump salary, they get moved to alter the franchise. If you want those 3 players, prepare to suffer through a really really bad farm system, and a bunch of slary dumps at the ML level to make it happen.

Rolen likely has value despite his contract. However he is owed $15M for 2010.

Rios is owed $69M from 2010 through 2014. He is OPS+ing ~92. With that massive contract he has negative trade value.

Rolen has a 25 game hitting streak right now.. hmm so thats a rumour? Edwin and a minor leauger for Rolen? maybe they could expand it to get Rios..hmmmm

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    Rolen has a 25 game hitting streak right now.. hmm so thats a rumour? Edwin and a minor leauger for Rolen? maybe they could expand it to get Rios..hmmmm
    The Jays would have to pay most of Rios salary if the Reds went after him.

Rios is owed $69M from 2010 through 2014. He is OPS+ing ~92. With that massive contract he has negative trade value.
    That would be true if he had no track record to fall back on, and if he were 33.

However, he does, and he isn't.

Turn Off Ads?