Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Jays are also taking offers for outfielder Alex Rios & third baseman Scott Rolen

High five!

Re: Blue Jays are also taking offers for outfielder Alex Rios & third baseman Scott R

Yeah, I don't know how solid a rumor it was. Just something going around during last night's game chat.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Blue Jays are also taking offers for outfielder Alex Rios & third baseman Scott R

Junior - Rolen - Dunn - Kearns made sense back in the day. A ton of sense.

But that day was looooong ago.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Yeah, I don't know how solid a rumor it was. Just something going around during last night's game chat.
    About as "solid" as ice cream in the microwave...
    Go BLUE!!!

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Shocking that the Blue Jays are trying to get rid of the No. 7 hitter in their lineup who has a contract that doesn't match his production.

JP Ricciardi should just stop talking for a while. Take a few plays off. He doesn't need to inform everyone of the obvious. I still think Adam Dunn is going to beat him up at some point. Nah, Adam is too nice a guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Shocking that the Blue Jays are trying to get rid of the No. 7 hitter in their lineup who has a contract that doesn't match his production.

JP Ricciardi should just stop talking for a while. Take a few plays off. He doesn't need to inform everyone of the obvious. I still think Adam Dunn is going to beat him up at some point. Nah, Adam is too nice a guy.
    "Do you know that Dunn doesn't really like beating people up that much? Do you know the guy doesn't have the passion to beat people up? How much do you know about Dunn?"
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Rolen is an intriging option.

He would bridge the gap to 2011, when presumably one of our minor league thirdbaseman can take over.

I no longer believe that EE is the future at third. He's here only until someone better comes along or his contract runs out at the end of the 2010 season.

As long as the propsect was not elite, and some of Rolen's salary gets paid, this would be a good deal.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Since Edwin has been handed the full time starting job he will play over 140 games just once, last year.

IMO 130 games of Rolen > than whatever Edwin can give you.
    So you want to pay more for a guy who misses as many games as EE? If I'm paying $10mil more for a 3B, I want him in the lineup more than EE or Rolen seem to be.

I'm not saying Rolen isn't better than EE when healthy, but I don't think that risk is worth $10mil to find out.

The rumor was started by a first-time poster on the Sun Deck, and wasn't corroborated.

In other words, it's a phantom.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    So you want to pay more for a guy who misses as many games as EE? If I'm paying $10mil more for a 3B, I want him in the lineup more than EE or Rolen seem to be.

I'm not saying Rolen isn't better than EE when healthy, but I don't think that risk is worth $10mil to find out.
    So far this season Rolen has played in 74 games. His line so far this season is .330/.390/.486. The Reds aren't a game under .500 with that kind of production coming from the 3b spot. Throw in that he is a good defensive 3b and you have an improved team.

As I said above I have given up on Edwin. His footwork in the field just hasn't improved. He hardly every squares himself to the base he is throwing to, hence the large number of off line throws. IMO his swing is too long to be effective over a long period of time and is susceptible to prolonged slumps.

The Reds are fading away from contention as we speak. They can't continue to lose games in which their starting pitchers give quality innings. The need a reliable bat in order to help this team out. IMO trading Edwin for Rolen would make this team better now and also into next season. IMO 130 games of Rolen + whoever else plays is far better than 140+ games of Edwin. Sure it comes at a price, but what is the value of winning?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I think there are plenty of teams that wish they had Rios for that contract...
    The problem with the Reds is that I envision a scenario where the Rios trade for Rios, and then 2012 or 2013 run him out of town b/c they can't afford him due to other bad contracts.

His contract might be a bad one for the Reds, in the long run.

Take it for what you think it's worth but Jim Kelch has reported that Jocketty has been with the Bats for the past couple of days. That in itself doesn't mean anything but if you consider it in light of this rumor, it might make sense that he is deciding which AAA pitcher is going to be dealt.

Or not.

I don't see any way the Blue Jays would make this deal. Unless Cincinnati would be taking on almost all of his contract.

I would love to have Scott Rolen. Love it.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    I don't see any way the Blue Jays would make this deal. Unless Cincinnati would be taking on almost all of his contract.

I would love to have Scott Rolen. Love it.
    And there you have your answer. Scott Rolen is definately $6M better than EE, but it just matters if we can pay it.
    A Ferarri is definately worth the $250K more than my beat up car, but I can't pay for it so it's not a wise purchase.

If the Reds and Jays are close on the player package and the Reds don't pull the trigger on this deal it's time to give up wasting time on this team.

If they can't afford a major contract that ends in a year and a half, then they are hopeless. And if they think keeping EE over Rolen makes sense, they are also hopeless.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If the Reds and Jays are close on the player package and the Reds don't pull the trigger on this deal it's time to give up wasting time on this team.

If they can't afford a major contract that ends in a year and a half, then they are hopeless. And if they think keeping EE over Rolen makes sense, they are also hopeless.
    Absolutely correct.

Turn Off Ads?