Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Jays are also taking offers for outfielder Alex Rios & third baseman Scott Rolen

Re: Blue Jays are also taking offers for outfielder Alex Rios & third baseman Scott R

Rumors, rumors, rumors - all false
    By Hal McCoy | Thursday, July 9, 2009, 06:52 PM

RUMOR OFF-CENTRAL:

No, the Cincinnati Reds are NOT going to sign pitcher Pedro Martinez, as one scout suggested. Martinez will undergo a physical, probably on Saturday, and if he passes the Philadelphia Phillies will announce he belongs to them.

The Reds have a better chance of signing Pedro Serrano from the movie Major League, but they already had him in the personage of Wily Mo Pena.

No, the Cincinnati Reds are NOT acquiring third baseman Scott Rolen from Toronto for Edwin Encarnacion and a top pitching prospect, as was “reported” on a web-site. The web-site said the trade was reported on the Toronto radio network that carries the Blue Jays, but if that’s true, nobody heard it.

Rolen makes $11 milllion this year and $11 million next year, way over the heads of the Reds. The report also said the deal would be announced this weekend after GM Walt Jocketty was finished re-negotiating Rolen’s contract. That’s called tampering and is against the rules and Jocketty wouldn’t do it

Rolen, an Indiana guy, loves Cincinnati and may eventually play for the Reds. But not now and not next year.

No, the Cincinnati Reds are not acquiring Garret Atkins from the Rockies for pitchers David Weathers and Nick Masset. Atkins is making $7.05 million and is having a terrible year. The bullpen has been the best part of the Reds this year (until the last week).

As a Reds official said, “We already have a third baseman, so where would Atkins play? There are only a couple of teams that can take on $18 million in salary.” And the Reds ain’t one of ‘em.

Any more rumors need discounted?

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/con...incinnatireds/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Blue Jays are also taking offers for outfielder Alex Rios & third baseman Scott R

I am going on record to say that Rolen will be a Red after the All-Star break.

I was convinced as soon as Hal McCoy said it would never happen.

(Just to be clear, I love Hal, think he's by far the best writer covering the Reds and we should be thankful we have a Hall of Famer covering the Reds. He just has a terrible record on things like this.)
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Rumors, rumors, rumors - all false
    By Hal McCoy | Thursday, July 9, 2009, 06:52 PM

RUMOR OFF-CENTRAL:

No, the Cincinnati Reds are NOT going to sign pitcher Pedro Martinez, as one scout suggested. Martinez will undergo a physical, probably on Saturday, and if he passes the Philadelphia Phillies will announce he belongs to them.

The Reds have a better chance of signing Pedro Serrano from the movie Major League, but they already had him in the personage of Wily Mo Pena.

No, the Cincinnati Reds are NOT acquiring third baseman Scott Rolen from Toronto for Edwin Encarnacion and a top pitching prospect, as was “reported” on a web-site. The web-site said the trade was reported on the Toronto radio network that carries the Blue Jays, but if that’s true, nobody heard it.

Rolen makes $11 milllion this year and $11 million next year, way over the heads of the Reds. The report also said the deal would be announced this weekend after GM Walt Jocketty was finished re-negotiating Rolen’s contract. That’s called tampering and is against the rules and Jocketty wouldn’t do it

Rolen, an Indiana guy, loves Cincinnati and may eventually play for the Reds. But not now and not next year.

No, the Cincinnati Reds are not acquiring Garret Atkins from the Rockies for pitchers David Weathers and Nick Masset. Atkins is making $7.05 million and is having a terrible year. The bullpen has been the best part of the Reds this year (until the last week).

As a Reds official said, “We already have a third baseman, so where would Atkins play? There are only a couple of teams that can take on $18 million in salary.” And the Reds ain’t one of ‘em.

Any more rumors need discounted?

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/con...incinnatireds/
    I don't have any problem with Hal never have. That said I don't buy this from him, he is out of the loop IMO. I don't really care if it happens or not, and don't know if it will actually happen. However this is the kind of trade that makes some degree of sense too me and believe it has some legs. Rolen makes quite a bit of money however the Jays just ate like 15 million dumping Ryan so they don't strike me as a team currently opposed to eating some cash if they can also save some cash and add some talent. Enter the chemistry & cost conscious Reds F.O. who have a need for a "big RH bat", and in their mind I can see them viewing Rolen as a big RH bat.

He's a guy who doesn't K a lot, plays good defense and is seemingly a good fit from a chemistry standpoint. If Toronto eats half of his remaining dollars over what EE makes totaling about 9 million and saving them about the same I can see it happening. I can see it as a good fit for everyone including Rolen who probably wouldn't mind being so close to home at this point.

That said if he can't stay healthy he's worthless to us, I hope if he gets dealt here he can stay fairly healthy at least the rest of this year and the 1st half of next year. Then we should have a guy like Frazier who should be ready to take over.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 07-09-2009 at 08:18 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Nothing against Hal, but has he ever had inside sources for any trade that's ever come down? Seems like he's reported that the Reds aren't going to make any trades for the last 30 years.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by REDSEER View Post
    As much as I'm not sure about trying to listen to George Grande drool over Scott Rolen for the rest of this season and next like he did in Toronto, Rolen would provide a good veteran presence and work ethic for the younger players on our team.

George would be over his Rolen fixation, because he only drools over players for opposing clubs, not Reds players.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I am going on record to say that Rolen will be a Red after the All-Star break.

I was convinced as soon as Hal McCoy said it would never happen.

(Just to be clear, I love Hal, think he's by far the best writer covering the Reds and we should be thankful we have a Hall of Famer covering the Reds. He just has a terrible record on things like this.)
    McCoy aside, of all the trade rumors I have heard, the Rolen one makes the most sense to me. Money is always an issue, but remember, EE is scheduled to make $4.75M next year. If my math is correct, that means Rolen will cost $6.25M extra next year plus around $4.5M extra for the balance of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    McCoy aside, of all the trade rumors I have heard, the Rolen one makes the most sense to me. Money is always an issue, but remember, EE is scheduled to make $4.75M next year. If my math is correct, that means Rolen will cost $6.25M extra next year plus around $4.5M extra for the balance of this year.
    According to Cots he is making 11 mill both this year and next plus he has a 4 million dollar bonus coming next year and it didn't specify why so I assume it's not performance related. But again if the Jays eat some dough I bet they work something out. I'd guess the only holdup if any would be getting Rolen to agree to be dealt and I doubt that would be an issue given all the circumstances. But I presume like was stated in a rumor about it that Rolen/agent need to speak with Walt to measure the Reds seriousness in competing for the playoffs.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    A little more than that, Rolen will make 15 million next year. Toronto would have to take on a lot of money to make this trade happen.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Nothing against Hal, but has he ever had inside sources for any trade that's ever come down? Seems like he's reported that the Reds aren't going to make any trades for the last 30 years.
    Didn't McCoy report that his boy Bailey had been traded to the White Sox for Dye earlier this year?

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    A little more than that, Rolen will make 15 million next year. Toronto would have to take on a lot of money to make this trade happen.
    My bad. I didn't read far enough at Cot's.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If the Reds and Jays are close on the player package and the Reds don't pull the trigger on this deal it's time to give up wasting time on this team.

If they can't afford a major contract that ends in a year and a half, then they are hopeless. And if they think keeping EE over Rolen makes sense, they are also hopeless.
    Yep, if the Jays are willing to do EdE + minor prospect for Rolen, you jump on it.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    EE is far from perfect- especially on defense, but he is 8 years younger and makes almost $10MM/year less than Rolen. Maybe I'd consider a straight-up swap, but I wouldn't be excited giving up much more than that.
    EdE is young.. however, he's being paid to produce now, but isn't.
    I question whether he'll ever learn defense. Sure, age is on his side, but I question whether EdE will be kept beyond his current contract anyhow (end of 2010).

When you think of 1.5 years of Rolen (is that what is left on his deal) vs 1.5 or 2.5 years of EdE, it becomes a lot easier for me.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Let's say EE gets 250 more PA's the rest of the season. He would have to OPS 1.046 for the rest of the season to get his OPS over .800. If he can do that over the 2nd half, the Reds may just win the division. However, I'd be willing to bet my entire estate he does not OPS 1.046 for the rest of the season.
    I don't understand what you are getting at. What EE and Rolen have done thus far this season is water under the bridge. All we care about is what they will do for us over the next two and a half months. So I don't care what EE would have to do to get his OPS over 800 or how high of a BA Rolen has right now. What is their true skill level? Perhaps more importantly, what is the difference in talent between the two players? Will the addition outweigh the burned resources?

BTW, if BaseClogger doesn't think Matt Holliday puts the Reds over the top he surely doesn't think Scott Rolen puts them over the top. Besides, like Hal said, the Reds have a 3B...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I don't understand what you are getting at. What EE and Rolen have done thus far this season is water under the bridge. All we care about is what they will do for us over the next two and a half months. So I don't care what EE would have to do to get his OPS over 800 or how high of a BA Rolen has right now. What is their true skill level? Perhaps more importantly, what is the difference in talent between the two players? Will the addition outweigh the burned resources?

BTW, if BaseClogger doesn't think Matt Holliday puts the Reds over the top he surely doesn't think Scott Rolen puts them over the top. Besides, like Hal said, the Reds have a 3B...
    You're taking this post out of context. It was made in regards to Benihana saying that we don't know if EE is going to finish the season with an .800 OPS.

I agree that what has happened, happened, and all that we care about is what happens from here on out.

Hal added this to his previous blog:

Just to cover the bases, though, a knowledgeable person close to the Blue Jays said that the Jays and Reds HAVE talked. The Jays are NOT interested in Encarnacion. They are most interested in minor league prospects.

When the Reds were in Toronto, GM Walt Jocketty chatted for a long time with Rolen near the batting cage, “Just to say hello.” Rolen played in St. Louis when Jocketty was there. There was no tampering involved, just chit-chat, but I’d be willing to bet all my Tommy Bahama shirts that Rolen mentioned, you know, just in passing, that he sure loves the midwest, being an Indiana boy and all.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...he_cincin.html

Turn Off Ads?