Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Blue Jays are also taking offers for outfielder Alex Rios & third baseman Scott Rolen

Re: Blue Jays are also taking offers for outfielder Alex Rios & third baseman Scott R

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Has anyone seen any sign that Castellini is willing to increase payroll?
    I can't find the actual article, but around a month ago, both Jocketty and Castellini were directly quoted as saying that the Reds had payroll flexibility.

I also remember both saying when they announced before the season that they were not adding any more payroll at that point, that one reason was to give them payroll flexibility at the trading deadline.

I don't think that the Reds budget has changed, but I do think that the Reds currently are operating below their budget ceiling.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Blue Jays are also taking offers for outfielder Alex Rios & third baseman Scott R

I don't think Rolen helps them much more, if any, than a healthy EE the rest of the year.

Would rather have another good BP arm, or a CF & SS who can hit, and I guess you're stuck praying Bruce turns it around in the 2nd half.

The Reds payroll is now at almost exactly $70M.

Most experts reported that the budget would be around $80M this year. Let's say the budget was set at $75M to be conservative.

That means over the first three month, the Reds saved $2.5M by being under budget. That means that they now should have $40M budgeted for the second half, since they had $37.5 originally. They currently are at $35M, which means they can add $5M without going over budget, assuming that they were below budget at the start of the season.

If their actual budget was $80M, then they would have an additional $10M to add. Basically, if it was true that they were operating below their budget from the beginning of the season to give themselves payroll flexibility now, they should have somewhere between $5-10M to spend.

Rolen easily fits that, as he is due $5.5M for the rest of this season. I am not sure how he fits into next year's budget, but then again, I think no one, not even Castellini knows that.

One side note, Rolen makes $11M next year, not $15M. The $4M bonus has already been paid by the Cardinals. It was part of the Glaus deal.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Most experts reported that the budget would be around $80M this year.
    Was this before or after the stock market fell 40% in three months?
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-10-2009 at 02:14 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Was this before or after the stock market fell 40% in three months?
    The stock market is back up 15%. Not saying that is great or anything but BobC is a smart man. He is probably bouncing back. He also knows that if he doesn't do something, people are not going to spend money on his team, especially in a down economy. Announced attendance in August and September will be around 13,000, actual attendance will compete with the Dayton Dragons. This team needs a shot in the arm. NOW.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

The Reds payroll is now at almost exactly $70M.

Most experts reported that the budget would be around $80M this year. Let's say the budget was set at $75M to be conservative.

That means over the first three month, the Reds saved $2.5M by being under budget. That means that they now should have $40M budgeted for the second half, since they had $37.5 originally. They currently are at $35M, which means they can add $5M without going over budget, assuming that they were below budget at the start of the season.

If their actual budget was $80M, then they would have an additional $10M to add. Basically, if it was true that they were operating below their budget from the beginning of the season to give themselves payroll flexibility now, they should have somewhere between $5-10M to spend.

Rolen easily fits that, as he is due $5.5M for the rest of this season. I am not sure how he fits into next year's budget, but then again, I think no one, not even Castellini knows that.

One side note, Rolen makes $11M next year, not $15M. The $4M bonus has already been paid by the Cardinals. It was part of the Glaus deal.
    The budget was also based on more ticket sales than what the Reds have seen this year. Advance ticket sales have been paltry. So player payroll would likely also be adjusted down.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

So I'm watching Baseball Tonight last night and Buster Olney is reporting that Blue Jays GM, J.P. Ricciardi is demanding multiple top prospects for ace Roy Halladay. Now that's an obvious statement when dealing with one of the best pitchers in baseball, but after thinking about it I came to the conclusion that the Blue Jays are weak on leverage. Say for example that the Blue Jays are not able to get what they'd like for all the guys they are trying to deal and end up keeping all of them. They would still have a pretty good team but they probably could only hope to finish 3rd in the division, at best. Right now I'd take the Blue Jays system (majors and minors) last out of all the teams in that division. Realistically the Blue Jays probably wont outspend the Yankees and Red Sox (who also have good young talent) they don't have near the talent the Rays do and they could be on the verge of being passed over by the Orioles who have quietly assembled an interesting roster with some nice young arms in the pipeline.

I think the best thing the Jays can do now is to try to get out from under those contracts and begin to rebuild, but they also are hoping that the rest of MLB will bail them out at the same time and retool their system with better talent. Halladay will net a good return, but I think it would probably be on par with the C.C. Sabathia deal from last season. I guess I just think its unreasonable to assume that teams are going to be willing to unload multiple top prospects for expensive players. Personally I'm hoping the Blue Jays end up continuing to pay top dollar for 4th place.

Quoting the man from the flea market "it's not worth what you think its worth, it's only worth what you can get for it."

IMO Halladay will demand more in return than CC. The biggest difference is that Halladay has another year on his contract where CC was headed for NY once the Brewers season was over.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    IMO Halladay will demand more in return than CC. The biggest difference is that Halladay has another year on his contract where CC was headed for NY once the Brewers season was over.
    Yes, but I guess my main point is that I'm not exactly sure that the Blue Jays want to keep Halladay. To me it's clear they are in rebuilding mode. They have alot of money tied up into Rolen, Rios, Wells, Halladay, and they just ate B.J. Ryan's contract and they aren't a contender in that division so if I was an opposing GM, J.P. Ricciardi wouldn't be dictating the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Orenda View Post
    after thinking about it I came to the conclusion that the Blue Jays are weak on leverage.

you think too much, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    EdE is young.. however, he's being paid to produce now, but isn't.
    His OPS since returning is .890.

just sayin'.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    His OPS since returning is .890.

just sayin'.
    Small Sample Size Express eh.

Going into last night it was .530.

Just saying.

EE will hit fine, around 800 OPS, but he has already shown that his fielding has not improved. Not just throwing error, but mental ones as well.

I just don't think that there is anyway a team can contend with a glove that bad at 3B, unless he as putting up Pujols type numbers offensively. And remember, the Cards did move Pujols to 1B from 3B, so they thought even his bat did not justify a bad glove at third.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Small Sample Size Express eh.

Going into last night it was .530.

Just saying.
    His entire season has been a small sample. To say he is not producing is unfair. We don't know yet.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

EE will hit fine, around 800 OPS, but he has already shown that his fielding has not improved. Not just throwing error, but mental ones as well.

I just don't think that there is anyway a team can contend with a glove that bad at 3B, unless he as putting up Pujols type numbers offensively. And remember, the Cards did move Pujols to 1B from 3B, so they thought even his bat did not justify a bad glove at third.
    Expecting anyone to be Albert Pujols is a little much. I believe some people have unrealistic expectations.

Turn Off Ads?