Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Enquirer Layoffs: The Tally So Far

Enquirer Layoffs: The Tally So Far

http://www.citybeat.com/cincinnati/b...ly-so-far.html

Posted By: Kevin Osborne

People in the media industry have been dreading it for awhile and now it's finally here: "Black Wednesday."

Mass layoffs began today at newspapers owned by The Gannett Co., which includes The Cincinnati Enquirer. As with past layoffs at the paper, details of which staffers were affected are leaking in spurts and fits, but here's what we know so far.

The entire staff of CiN Weekly, a free weekly entertainment newspaper published by The Enquirer, was let go. That number totals around 10 people including Michael Perry, managing editor for non-daily publications and new initiatives. It's unlikely that The Enquirer will leave the weekly publication market entirely: Some staffers have been placing Metromix stickers on news boxes. Gannett already has made that change in the Indianapolis and Nashville markets, replacing local publications with one standard weekly that uses copy produced from various corporate sites nationwide.

Another casualty of the layoffs is David Wells, editorial page editor, as well as an unidentified number in the newpaper's digital division.

Also, some reporters for the daily newspaper are packing up their desks, although we haven't been able to verify names. There are unconfirmed rumors that a high-profile columnist is one of the victims of the downsizing.

Like most newspapers, Gannett's profits have dropped as readers migrate to free content on the Internet, and the loss has lead to declining advertising revenues. Earlier this year Gannett required most of its workers to take two separate, five-day unpaid furloughs. Further, Gannett had a round of layoffs in December, and offered several employees a voluntary severance package last fall to reduce its payroll.

At least 28 people have left The Enquirer's newsroom since last fall.

Unconnected to the layoffs, business reporter John Eckberg is leaving The Enquirer after 29 years to accept a job as publicist for a medical supplies firm based in Bloomington, Ind.

CityBeat will update the layoff news as we confirm it.

UPDATE: As predicted, Metromix is here to stay, at least for now. Enquirer Editor Tom Callinan just posted this on his Twitter account: "Need to clarify: CiN in print and online will continue with Metromix as dominant brand. That does not lessen the sadness of layoffs."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Enquirer Layoffs: The Tally So Far

How long before newspapers are gone altogether?

Will anyone care?

I say that not to be crass or mean, but in reality most of us do use the internet for information. We can get multiple versions of the same story within minutes of it happening, instead of waiting until tomorrow for it.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I have recently been getting the Indianapolis Star after canceling my subscription and not reading it for a few months and must say there is nothing to it. I can go through the Star in like 3 minutes, I think part of the reason they are going away is that they are giving up. The local paper is like 25 pages now, whats the point?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I have recently been getting the Indianapolis Star after canceling my subscription and not reading it for a few months and must say there is nothing to it. I can go through the Star in like 3 minutes, I think part of the reason they are going away is that they are giving up. The local paper is like 25 pages now, whats the point?
    Its just a matter of time until they are all online newspapers. Magazines will still have their place because they do stories on non current events that draw interest. Newspapers continue to try and bring us 'news' but between the internet and tv, its 12 hours old by the time it gets to your doorstep.

The last time I picked up a news paper was to use it to start a fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    How long before newspapers are gone altogether?

Will anyone care?

I say that not to be crass or mean, but in reality most of us do use the internet for information. We can get multiple versions of the same story within minutes of it happening, instead of waiting until tomorrow for it.
    Yes, many will care, I know I will....and no print media is not an internet only medium, to frame it as that is a broad brush look at the business, but a look like that will get print media to revamp their approach, it's not going to vanish like the dodo bird.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Its just a matter of time until they are all online newspapers. Magazines will still have their place because they do stories on non current events that draw interest. Newspapers continue to try and bring us 'news' but between the internet and tv, its 12 hours old by the time it gets to your doorstep.
    So how does new get to the world that doesn't use the internet or can't afford to?

They exist, don't kid yourself that they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    The last time I picked up a news paper was to use it to start a fire.
    I bought the NY Times today and USA yesterday I work on computers all freaking day, the USA today on tuesday has one page with all the stats in MLB, I carry it around for days and pour over it.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Good luck to all those involved in yet another round.....I know what they're feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    So how does new get to the world that doesn't use the internet or can't afford to?

They exist, don't kid yourself that they don't.
    Sadly in this country, that 10-15% of the population isn't enough to keep newspapers alive.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Sadly in this country, that 10-15% of the population isn't enough to keep newspapers alive.
    Where did you get that figure?

Seems kinda low, the country is full of people who don't read the news online daily, some folks can't afford access, or equipment, plus that approach also leaves a huge market open, disdaining them seems somewhat short sighted.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Where did you get that figure?

Seems kinda low, the country is full of people who don't read the news online daily, some folks can't afford access, or equipment, plus that approach also leaves a huge market open, disdaining them seems somewhat short sighted.
    I figured the same 10-15% of the population who still uses over the air TV is about the same amount of people who don't use the internet.

Still, where do newspapers make their money? From the advertising. I hate to say this, but if only the poor are still getting their 'news' in a paper, advertisers are going to quit advertising in them and the papers are going to dry up even more than they have.

The dumbing down of America continues.

Pretty soon we'll all have a wall sized screen with the White Clown telling us everything we need to know.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I can read the Indy Star now in probally less than ten minutes its so small.

Just yesterday I wondered if I should renew, which is something I couldn't fathom thinking just 2 years ago
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    The dumbing down of America continues.

Pretty soon we'll all have a wall sized screen with the White Clown telling us everything we need to know.
    Hey, that's me!
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Turn Off Ads?