Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Enquirer Layoffs: The Tally So Far

Re: Enquirer Layoffs: The Tally So Far

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    The dumbing down of America continues.

Pretty soon we'll all have a wall sized screen with the White Clown telling us everything we need to know.
    Except the people that can't afford it.. but from what I understand that
    s SOL situation..yipee!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Its just a matter of time until they are all online newspapers. Magazines will still have their place because they do stories on non current events that draw interest. Newspapers continue to try and bring us 'news' but between the internet and tv, its 12 hours old by the time it gets to your doorstep.
    Though, really, most of the 12 hours is spent by TV repeating the same 3 facts over and over again -- possibly having those 3 facts debated by a couple talking heads.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Though, really, most of the 12 hours is spent by TV repeating the same 3 facts over and over again -- possibly having those 3 facts debated by a couple talking heads.
    A format which I've personally gotten quite tired of, yet it seems most still eat it up. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a market for what, four twenty-four hour news stations?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    A format which I've personally gotten quite tired of, yet it seems most still eat it up. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a market for what, four twenty-four hour news stations?
    There really isn't a market for 24-hour news stations -- which is why all the major cable news outlets (CNN, MSNBC, FNC) do very little hard news programming and spend the majority of the time on host-centric pundit shows, slanted talk, and yammering talking-head segments (which they pass off as "balanced" by having two people shout at one another until it's time for commercial).

Cable news is to news what MTV is to music.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

What I don't get is why most papers do not charge to access their on line version. how do they make money on line? I know there's a little advertising but really, how can on line stuff really be profitable? If they charged for on line access then readers might think twice about cancelling their print subscriptions

As to the original story, it's 100 layoffs between yesterday and today. From what I understand, they are sending e-mails out to summon the victims downtown if they aren't there already (terrible way to handle this IMHO). It's a tense week for people at the Enquirer. They are in my thoughts and prayers.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Where did you get that figure?

Seems kinda low, the country is full of people who don't read the news online daily, some folks can't afford access, or equipment, plus that approach also leaves a huge market open, disdaining them seems somewhat short sighted.
    FYI-

An April 2009 survey by the Pew Research Center’s Internet & American Life Project shows 63% of adult Americans now have broadband internet connections at home, a 15% increases from a year earlier. April’s level of high-speed adoption represents a significant jump from figures gathered by the Project since the end of 2007 (54%).
    Source: Pew Internet & American Life Project: Home Broadband Adoption 2009
    This is a figure on Broadband access. I've seen a number of about 74% for internet connectivity in general.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    What I don't get is why most papers do not charge to access their on line version. how do they make money on line? I know there's a little advertising but really, how can on line stuff really be profitable? If they charged for on line access then readers might think twice about cancelling their print subscriptions
    Since it's developed over the years, papers have never quite found the model for enhancing the revenue. The NY Times tried for a few years to charge for older info and access to certain columnist, but dropped that part. Some do require that you register and that gives some demographic info which, presumably allows for target ads, but I have no idea how much more (if any) that generates in the revenue stream. But I'm doubtful they can get the cat back in the bag.

I still love reading a physical newspaper. I'll try to grab the Times at lunch since it's more substantial than the Enquirer. I bemoaned the Post not being on newstands by lunch time since I subscribed to the Enquirer and I would like something newer there. But that was a problem from the Enquirer since they distributed both papers, but it was almost always not in the boxes until past noon. Go figure, huh?

As for employees, my cousin's son-in-law works there and his wife told me he wasn't cut yesterday, but still faces today. It is a stinking way to drop the axe.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The Columbus Dispatch also did that when I was in school. I believe it is free now. I just think the papers figured it was easier to give free access to on line articles and sell advertisements on the sites.

My wife works at the Enquirer. Apparently she is safe but said the layoffs may continue into next week. It is apparent to us that she will need to find another company to work for as the newspaper industry isn't the best to be in right now. But just having a job in his down economy is a plus.

Haunted by walks

It seems like there's a tendency to see these as separate issues, as in: newspapers are going away but that's OK because I get my news online, as if the same staff isn't producing both. It's possible that hobbyists will be able to fill the need to the extent it needs to be, but that's a lot to expect. We know that some of the best baseball information comes from hobbyists and fellow fans, but certainly not all of it.

It's just a huge challenge to figure out what to do with a newspaper the size and shape of the Enquirer. How would you restructure it for these times? If you started from scratch, what kind of newspaper would you decide you need? How big, what would it cover?

Except the place most people get their online news is from the web sites of the Media Companies. FOX News, MSNBC, CNN.

A handful of papers will survive, but this is a business model that is dead. If they can't charge for online content, they are gone.

Newspapers as a business model is not dead in the water... say like Casey Stengals brothers profession was in the early 1900's... which was driving a wagon that sprayed water on the dirt roads to keep the dust down. But it is one that needs revamping, and if 36% of the country doesn't have broadband then you can bet they don't hit faux news sites like CNN and Fox that bombard the user with rich multimedia, some folks just want news, not glitz.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    There really isn't a market for 24-hour news stations -- which is why all the major cable news outlets (CNN, MSNBC, FNC) do very little hard news programming and spend the majority of the time on host-centric pundit shows, slanted talk, and yammering talking-head segments (which they pass off as "balanced" by having two people shout at one another until it's time for commercial).

Cable news is to news what MTV is to music.
    My feelings about the news media put to music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q2EPKKVrqI

Theres no way for the newspapers to make the money needed from advertising when theres 1000s of places people can go for the same information. Newspapers were a cash cow for years now its drying up.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

It's not exactly easy reading, but this article:

http://www.shirky.com/weblog/2009/03...e-unthinkable/

will give you a while lot to chew on relating to this subject.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

It doesn't help that newspaper holding companies, like Gannett (US Today), McClatchy, NYTimes and of course the Tribune Co, have leveraged themselves up so much that they have left no room for error or a downturn.

Some of these newspapers are still cash flow positive and could be downsized slowly to match a (slowly) shrinking demand. However, the need for cash is driving the industry transformation at a very fast clip.
    This kind of disruption is painful, from an economic and a human standpoint. Resources don't get re-deployed quickly.

What were these guys thinking? That they could milk these cows forever?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?