Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jeremy Hermida?

Jeremy Hermida?

FOXSports.com's Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Marlins remain in contact with the Pirates about closer Matt Capps.
    The two sides are reportedly at a standstill because the Pirates have little interest in outfielder Jeremy Hermida. Their salaries are a wash while both players aren't eligible for free agency until after the 2011 season. The Marlins are in search of a closer with Matt Lindstrom on the shelf.
    If you were WJ would you swoop in and dangle Weathers and see if the Marlins will bite?

Weathers plus a some cash for Hermida?

He is left handed and that would make things still a lil rough in LF, but whats the odds of Nix and J. Gomes being back next year, and who would be our starting LF?
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jeremy Hermida?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsMan3203 View Post
    If you were WJ would you swoop in and dangle Weathers and see if the Marlins will bite?

Weathers plus a some cash for Hermida?

He is left handed and that would make things still a lil rough in LF, but whats the odds of Nix and J. Gomes being back next year, and who would be our starting LF?
    I don't know...

Danny Dorn may be able to provide some left-handed pop next year for much cheaper, although I certainly don't expect him to be the starting LF.

That said, I certainly don't mind shedding Weathers at this point, especially if he's not going to be a Type A/B FA again. Even if he is, will the Reds risk offering arb again?
    Go BLUE!!!

Weathers for Hermida? Absolutely. I still like him a lot despite his struggles. He's still only 25 years old and has plenty of time to figure things out.

Florida would be daft to do that deal.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I don't see anyway they'd take Weathers if they're trying to get Capps for Hermida. Roenicke could probably get the deal done though.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I don't see anyway they'd take Weathers if they're trying to get Capps for Hermida. Roenicke could probably get the deal done though.
    Agreed

Despite his bad ERA, Capps has converted 19 of 21 save opps. This gives him a kind of reliability as a closer that neither Weathers nor Roenicke is likely to match right now. I doubt the Marlins would offer Hermida for either.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Despite his bad ERA, Capps has converted 19 of 21 save opps. This gives him a kind of reliability as a closer that neither Weathers nor Roenicke is likely to match right now. I doubt the Marlins would offer Hermida for either.
    No it shows that save percentage is near worthless in evaluating a pitcher. Danny Graves, even at the bottom of his barrel could save 80% of his games. It's just not a difficult "skill".

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Maybe the Reds picked up some good karma with that Cody Ross for nothing deal.

Just about any of our relievers for Hermida is a great deal for us, just go look at the guys road #'s (previous to this year), he'd kill the ball in this park.

Career .803 OPS on the road (remember he's 25)
    Career .733 OPS at home
    Career 1.202 OPS at GABP (.750 Slg%)

Somewhere around 37-38% of his balls in play are flyballs which is why a move to more flyball friendly park will help. What park is more flyball friendly for LHH's than GABP?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Harang for Kemp
    Weathers for Hermida

How about a Hermida-Kemp-Bruce OF in 2010? Dickerson as the 4th OF? Stubbs and Heisey traded for blue chip pitching? Now we're talking!
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    No it shows that save percentage is near worthless in evaluating a pitcher. Danny Graves, even at the bottom of his barrel could save 80% of his games. It's just not a difficult "skill".
    I agree... to a point. It's a job most good relievers can do, but they're human and some people can shrug off the blown saves easier than others. More to the point, a July pennant race is a dicey time to audition new closers. Their pursuit of Capps makes it clear they want a guy who's done the job. Which makes a deal for Roenicke unlikely, since they already have some in-house options for manufacturing a closer if they can't acquire a so-called proven one.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Harang for Kemp
    Weathers for Hermida

How about a Hermida-Kemp-Bruce OF in 2010? Dickerson as the 4th OF? Stubbs and Heisey traded for blue chip pitching? Now we're talking!
    I kind of doubt they would take Weathers for him, Burton OTOH especially if he can come back and pitch well after the break for a week or so. I'd hate to see Burton go but for Hermida it could be well worth it, especially if you could get him to sign a 3 year deal (giving up a year of FA).

But if they did this and still dealt for Kemp and Rolen?

Going out Burton, Harang, EE, Maloney/Ramirez and coming in Kemp, Hermida and Rolen? Not bad! Only thing better would be if it were Arroyo, Weathers and EE.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I kind of doubt they would take Weathers for him, Burton OTOH especially if he can come back and pitch well after the break for a week or so. I'd hate to see Burton go but for Hermida it could be well worth it, especially if you could get him to sign a 3 year deal (giving up a year of FA).

But if they did this and still dealt for Kemp and Rolen?

Going out Burton, Harang, EE, Maloney/Ramirez and coming in Kemp, Hermida and Rolen? Not bad! Only thing better would be if it were Arroyo, Weathers and EE.
    Yeah, you're probably right about the Weathers-Hermida idea. Fish would be crazy to do that deal. And, as you say, Burton might be a better option.

While I love the idea of getting Kemp and Hermida, I'm not sold that Rolen would be that much of an upgrade, especially with injury and cost concerns factored in. That said, he would definitely make the lineup look a bit more formidable right away, so it would be more fun to watch the team in 2009.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Turn Off Ads?