Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low cost options at SS!

Low cost options at SS!

These guys may not be studs, but they are solid MLB players who could help us down the stretch at a position of need for us. These guys wont demand high prospects from their respected teams, so what doe you think?

1)Marco Scutero-SS RH bat 33yrs old FA after 2009.

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
    86 346 62 98 25 1 6 37 56 41 7 4 .283 .382 .413 .795

2)Willie Bloomquist-SS/Utility RH bat 31yrs old FA??

67 209 26 58 3 6 2 18 17 35 15 2 .278 .329 .378 .707

3)Ramon Santiago-SS SwitchHitter 29yrs old FA??

45 130 18 35 4 1 6 25 7 34 0 2 .269 .302 .454 .756

All these guys are Right handed play SS and would allow Hairston to be used less in a starting role and more in the utility role he is best suited. Then if/when Gonzo comes back he becomes a platoon guy/bench player.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Low cost options at SS!

Pass. I'm tired of the low cost options who come into Cincinnati, put up some decent numbers for part of a season then get rewarded with a ridiculous contract. Get a strong starting shortstop, serviceable vet, or develop your own, but don't settle on mediocrity.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Yunel Escobar would be great, imo.

I bet Juan Castro's available.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

I'd put this guy high on my draft list next year:

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=941619

People I've talked to who've seen him play say that he's the real deal.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Would lovvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeee Scutaro that guy can play and contribute with bat and glove.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

I just wanted to congratulate Jojo on this;

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/0...etancourt.html

Royals Acquire Yuniesky Betancourt
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 10, 2009 at 2:17pm CST]

The Royals acquired Yuniesky Betancourt and cash from the Mariners for a pair of minor league pitchers, according to Joe Hamrahi of Baseball Daily Digest. Betancourt makes at least $10MM before his current deal expires, so it'll be interesting to see how much the Mariners are contributing.

Here's some info on the pitchers, from Ryan Divish of the Tacoma News Tribune. Danny Cortes, 22, will report to AA. He's 6-2 with a 3.12 ERA in his last eleven games after a rough start to the year in the Royals organization. He was the Royals' minor league pitcher of the year last year and Baseball America labelled him the best minor league pitcher in the organization entering this year.

Derrick Saito, 21, has struck out more than a batter per inning in A ball. The 21-year-old lefty will begin his Mariners career in A ball.

Getting players with a heartbeat for Betancourt. let alone actual prospects might be the deal of the century.

Gives me hope that the Reds could get something for Taveras...
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

No on Scutaro (smoke and mirrors). No on Bloomquist (only smoke). Don't really know Santiago...

I'd be okay with a Yunel Escobar and not angry with a Jack Wilson. I think I'd most prefer that the Reds bring up their own SS talent (Chris Valaika? Zach Cozart?)
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I just wanted to congratulate Jojo on this;

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/0...etancourt.html

Getting players with a heartbeat for Betancourt. let alone actual prospects might be the deal of the century.

Gives me hope that the Reds could get something for Taveras...
    As long as there is a Dayton Moore, there is hope.....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

BTW, both arms KC gave up will most likely be in the pen if they make the dance but in a bullpen role, both have some real upside.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

BTW, Julio Lugo is almost definitely going to be released in less than a week. I have no idea what the Royals imagine Betancourt does better, but good for the M's to get something for nothing.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Interesting note from Sporting News today. They rank Heisley and Escobar as two minor leaguers ready to make major league noise. With Hardy at SS for Brewers, can we take advantage of the logjam MIL has and either pick up Escobar or Hardy as our SS of the future?

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    Interesting note from Sporting News today. They rank Heisley and Escobar as two minor leaguers ready to make major league noise. With Hardy at SS for Brewers, can we take advantage of the logjam MIL has and either pick up Escobar or Hardy as our SS of the future?
    I think Hardy is the one they'd entertain trading and the price would be driven higher because of the Ms.

Apparently the Red Sox are willing to pay most if not all of Julio Lugo's salary if a team will agree to take him in a trade.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9...-Lugo-is-dealt

The Red Sox, facing a roster bind as they prepare for the returns of shortstop Jed Lowrie and third baseman Mike Lowell, have informed teams that they are willing to assume virtually all of shortstop Julio Lugo's remaining salary in a trade, according to a major-league source.

While another source told FOXSports.com earlier Thursday that the Sox were "desperately" trying to move Lugo, the second source offered a different view.

The Red Sox, he said, recognize that Lugo is a "sunk cost," and would accept a fringe prospect for him in return. In other words, they are willing to assume the same financial burden that they would if they released him.

A release could be the ultimate outcome. The Red Sox are likely to designate Lugo for assignment if they are unable to trade him once Lowrie returns.

The problem with Lugo's trade value — besides his erratic defense since returning from knee surgery — is his contract. Lugo, 33, is owed the remainder of his $9 million salary this season, plus $9 million next season. The Sox have been trying to move him since last off-season.

Manager Terry Francona told WEEI Radio in Boston that Lowell is expected back from his hip strain on Friday and Saturday, while Lowrie is set to return from wrist surgery on Saturday. The Red Sox also need to clear a roster spot for right-hander Clay Buchholz, who is scheduled to make his first start of 2009 on Friday night.

The Sox can demote first baseman Aaron Bates to clear a spot for Buchholz, then demote Buchholz to clear a spot for Lowell or Lowrie. But under virtually every scenario, Lugo would be the odd man out.

Lugo is batting .284 with a .352 on-base percentage in 123 plate appearances, but the Sox are 11-16 when he starts at shortstop, compared to 42-15 with Nick Green. A number of clubs want to acquire a young shortstop. But few teams, if any, are looking for an expensive veteran.

I'd be pro-Lugo at this point.

Hell, it might even get Dusty to give up on the Willy T leadoff experiment.

Turn Off Ads?