Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the logic in benching Bruce for 2 days

What is the logic in benching Bruce for 2 days

He struggles against lefties right? They sat him against Moyer who doesnt exactly dominate lefties, and then they are sitting him against a right hander in Neive tonight.

Just to bring him back to starting against Santana? What is the logic behind this one? Anyone have any ideas on why Dusty would do this?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What is the logic in benching Bruce for 2 days

I would just leave him out till the break. He can't hit anyone right now.

I think the logic is he's terrible, and not the best option to play right now.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    I think the logic is he's terrible, and not the best option to play right now.

What an absolutely un-informed post. Jay Bruce is a 22-year old who is having difficulty at the plate for the first time in his life. To call him "terrible" is to trash him for his first slump ever.

Then, to call him not the best option to play right now, is just as ridiculous. You would rather see Willy Freaking Taveras in the line-up then Bruce?!?!?!

You know that's his competition. Not Johnny Gomes, not Drew Stubbs, Not Chris Heisey, but Willy Freaking Taveras.

Your post is one that I can't wait to quote a couple years from now when Jay Bruce gets settled in the major leagues and starts dumping on major league pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    What an absolutely un-informed post. Jay Bruce is a 22-year old who is having difficulty at the plate for the first time in his life. To call him "terrible" is to trash him for his first slump ever.

Then, to call him not the best option to play right now, is just as ridiculous. You would rather see Willy Freaking Taveras in the line-up then Bruce?!?!?!

You know that's his competition. Not Johnny Gomes, not Drew Stubbs, Not Chris Heisey, but Willy Freaking Taveras.

Your post is one that I can't wait to quote a couple years from now when Jay Bruce gets settled in the major leagues and starts dumping on major league pitching.
    At no point in my post did I say he won't ever be good. However, how long do you continue to let a guy thats hitting .205 and can't get runners in from 3rd with less than 2 outs run out there. I never mentioned Willy Taveras first of all. They have other outfielders such as Gomes, and Nix. I'm not saying they should bench him all the time, but I don't really see how you can criticize someone for doing so. Also this is more than a slump it's for the most part been the entire season, and he hasn't been that great since the first month or so that he came up.

I dont care about benching him for a couple days. My question is why on earth did Dusty pick to bench him against 2 guys he might not struggle against just to bring him back against Santana?

Seems like some awful managing to me. Then again we should expect it.

Why have Bruce come back tomorrow? As Dusty puts it, “Because left-handers hit Santana better than right-handers.”
    Steve
    Project-43
    http://www.project-43.com

I'd agree with whoever said bench him until the break, give him a long break to clear his head.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Over the last two years, lefthanders have hit about 30 points higher against Santana than righthanders. Recently, it has not been unusual for managers to start left handed batters against him. Call it the Warren Spahn effect. Bruce faced him 6 times last year and had two hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockermann View Post
    Why have Bruce come back tomorrow? As Dusty puts it, “Because left-handers hit Santana better than right-handers.”
    Oh yea I forgot Dusty doesnt care about sample sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Over the last two years, lefthanders have hit about 30 points higher against Santana than righthanders. Recently, it has not been unusual for managers to start left handed batters against him. Call it the Warren Spahn effect. Bruce faced him 6 times last year and had two hits.
    The point is he is benching him against not so good pitchers just to bring him back against one of the best lefties in the game.

Dude needs to be in Louisville until August 1st. He sucks right now, and if he isn't careful, he's going to be Adam Dunn with a better glove.

btw, while We are at it...

Ryan church who kills us almost everytime we play was traded to atlanta for frency.

I'm likely gonna get blasted for this but oh well. Jay Bruce can not hit anything but a fastball out over the plate if it has any type of wrinkle he will just swing and miss or hit weak pop ups and slow grounders. His plate discipline is horrid, swinging at every thing does not make a quality hitter. His problem lies in pitch recognition he's thinking that major league pitches are going to just toss fastballs over the plate is skewed. If I was facing Bruce he'd never see anything near the plate and if it did it would have some kind of wrinkle on it. For lack of better terminology he's a horrible hitter, RIGHT NOW.

I wasn't a proponent of sending him to Louisville for the longest time but I think a stint down on the farm could be just what the doctor ordered. He needs to regain confidence in his ability as a hitter using the entire field this would inter him to cutting down that humongous swing as well. As for the pitch recognition snafu well a shorter and quicker swing would allow him to have a better chance at hitting those off-speed offerings he so badly can't hit now. Yes, he needs to change his approach at the plate or he'll never live up to his lofty status prior to coming to Cincy. The major problem is he is unable to hit righties or lefties.

Watching Chase Utley hit over the last four games with his short, quick swing made me envious toward the Phillies wishing we had some of that on the Reds.

This isnt tells us how much Jay Bruce sucks thread.

Turn Off Ads?