Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Church traded to Braves for Francouer

Ryan Church traded to Braves for Francouer

To Atlanta for Frenchy?
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ryan Church traded?

yes. I just listened to the radio broadcast. Cash went across as well (from Atl. to NY)

NEW YORK (AP) ó The slumping New York Mets have traded outfielder Ryan Church to the Atlanta Braves for outfielder Jeff Francoeur.

The deal came Friday, with the injury-ravaged Mets trying to avoid falling farther back in the NL East race.

Church is hitting .280 with two home runs and 22 RBIs. Francoeur is hitting .250 with five homers and 35 RBIs.

The comments at the link above are gold. They seem to alternate between "fire Wren," "fire Minaya," "parade for Wren" and "parade for Minaya."

Must be a good trade!
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Francouer will get butchered in New York
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Is it just me, or did the Mets lose this trade big time? IMO, Church is decent enough player--and Francoeur, well, he just isn't very good. Right?
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Is it just me, or did the Mets lose this trade big time? IMO, Church is decent enough player--and Francoeur, well, he just isn't very good. Right?
    Church has an average that is 2 points worse than Francoeurs OBP.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    That was my immediate reaction as well. Church is a solid all around player while Francoeur is brutal most of the time.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

This is a clear win for the Braves even if the money swap means their salaries are "even".

Church's true talent looks to be defined by a wOBA=.350 and a glove worth +8 (corner OF).

Francouer's true talent looks to be defined by a wOBA= .322 and a neutral glove (corner OF).

That translates to Church being worth about 12 runs or 1.2 wins more than Francouer over the remaining half season. Church can also play CF.

Both players have failrly large platoon splits but Church is a lefty so he'll get more opportunities to hit to his strength than the right-handed Francouer.

This isn't a blockbuster by any means but what an outstanding deal for the Braves. They've basically upgraded two OF positions to "above average" via trade this season.

Neither deal was a blockbuster but it's great GMing.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I think there are behind the scenes things at play here. church apparently wansn't too happy with NYC and the Mets mgr. Perhaps some things will come out. It sounded like, during the announcement of the trade, Mets GM Omar Minaya was simply saying that it was a change of pace for both players - and at lesat it is some kindof change for a floundering ballclub (the Mets). Maybe batting coach HoJo can help Frenchie out...

Also, Minaya said that the Mets needed a righty.

Quote Originally Posted by wally post View Post
    Also, Minaya said that the Mets needed a righty.
    But at what price? (rhetorical question)
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Re: Ryan Church traded to Braves for Francouer

We should be glad that Walt didn't go for either of these two.

Local radio was pretty mixed about the Braves moving JF.

My biggest concern is what Frank's Franks are going to do now?

Not as cool as McCann's cans.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

odd that that trade went down between division rivals but whatever....I used to hear constantly down here how Frenchie was HOF bound...glad he's flamed out...at least here in Dixie.

Turn Off Ads?