Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why i severely dislike umpires!!!

Why i severely dislike umpires!!!

Ok anybody watching the game tonight will probably know what im talking about.

This last one up against Dickerson just set me off. I was getting a bit flustered with the guy behind the plate all game but this dickerson one at the end of the 7th is just absolutely rediculous!

Dickerson is called out on VERY VERY low called 3rd strike. I believe all the outs that innig have been called third strikes against the reds.

But the umpire calls this 3rd strike. Dickerson Quickly says something along the lines of Oh cmon" or bull**** a quick comment we all make in high tense situation. This MALL COP umpire presides to tear off his mask BARKING spitting AND FOLLOWING dickerson back to the dugout. Granted dickerson hasnt said a word since the quick comment.

IMO umpires like this guy should be fined for provoking a player to turn around and say something back. UMPIRES need to be trained to keep their dang mouths shut. You cant follow a player back to the dugout barking sweet nothings down his neck and expect nothing in return. If a player did that to a blue he would be quickly ejected from the game.

i cant stand umpires like this who just look like their trying to pick a fight because they can and because they feel HIGH and Mighty because of the authority they have over the game. I know lots of former hall monitor not good enough to play the game type umpires That just like to feel worth something when their behind the plate.

END RANT! /

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Votto = MVP

Re: Why i severely dislike umpires!!!

Much like the situation with Weathers in what I believe was San Diego. The ump with the goofy mustache stared him down and was saying stuff to him the entire time Weathers was walking back to the dugout. While I understand you can't go off on an ump and get away with it, I think it's absolute crap that they can mouth off to you and you're expected to put your head down and not respond.
    2009 Attendance Record: 7-2

he's been consistent all night

you don't argue balls and strikes

going up against an offense like the phils an ump like this benefits the reds

i mentioned the same thing in the game thread...umps need to be above jawing back at players, i dont really mind stare downs, but jawing back at players is bush league. especially when your job description is that you might be questioned about calls.

How about the play at 1st base in the Reds 9th where it looked like he should have been safe? Baker argued but the umpire was professional by not jawing back etc.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by bgwilly31 View Post
    Ok anybody watching the game tonight will probably know what im talking about.

This last one up against Dickerson just set me off. I was getting a bit flustered with the guy behind the plate all game but this dickerson one at the end of the 7th is just absolutely rediculous!

Dickerson is called out on VERY VERY low called 3rd strike. I believe all the outs that innig have been called third strikes against the reds.

But the umpire calls this 3rd strike. Dickerson Quickly says something along the lines of Oh cmon" or bull**** a quick comment we all make in high tense situation. This MALL COP umpire presides to tear off his mask BARKING spitting AND FOLLOWING dickerson back to the dugout. Granted dickerson hasnt said a word since the quick comment.

IMO umpires like this guy should be fined for provoking a player to turn around and say something back. UMPIRES need to be trained to keep their dang mouths shut. You cant follow a player back to the dugout barking sweet nothings down his neck and expect nothing in return. If a player did that to a blue he would be quickly ejected from the game.

i cant stand umpires like this who just look like their trying to pick a fight because they can and because they feel HIGH and Mighty because of the authority they have over the game. I know lots of former hall monitor not good enough to play the game type umpires That just like to feel worth something when their behind the plate.

END RANT! /

I thought the same thing. Keep your mask on and walk away. The umpiring in this series has left a lot to be desired.

I agree with most....BUT, I also think you should be tossed the "second" you argue a ball or strike....no warnings, no hesitations....your gone. Most umps, including last nights will give you a little leeway but at the same time said ump is gonna give you his thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    I agree with most....BUT, I also think you should be tossed the "second" you argue a ball or strike....no warnings, no hesitations....your gone. Most umps, including last nights will give you a little leeway but at the same time said ump is gonna give you his thoughts.
    dont know about that. let the players/coaches holla at bit, if they get up in your face as your walking away, then ya toss em. but if the ump is walking away and a guy is standing and yelling from a distance then just let him play it out. the jawing back is ridiculous by umps

BUT, I also think you should be tossed the "second" you argue a ball or strike....no warnings,.
    You would toss everybody out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic View Post
    dont know about that. let the players/coaches holla at bit, if they get up in your face as your walking away, then ya toss em. but if the ump is walking away and a guy is standing and yelling from a distance then just let him play it out. the jawing back is ridiculous by umps
    why is jawing back from the ump bad but jawing by the players is not? players should not argue NOTHING......we hire and pay absurd amounts to these mangers,let them do the arguing. When players salaries are as high as they are, we cannot afford to lose a player to suspension.....I am just a firm follower of the fact that balls and strikes should not be argued. For no reason at all. not even the slightest mumble.

You would toss everybody out of the game.
    yeah I know....That is one of my few pet peeves about pro sports....players should not argue a call at any cost.....but as we all know, players feel the need to voice their opinion....as if it might change the umpires mind. We have coach's for a reason....let them do their job.
    My kid argued a called strike in her softbsll game last week and I asked the coach to yank her out of the game....she had a shutout going into the 5th inning. He obliged.
    Kids see these players doing it and they think its OK for them to do it. You can make your point known to an umpire without arguing and throwing your helmet and bat down in disgust.

My point is this....respect the ump and he will respect you. even if the ump sucks....file a complaint if your that pissed about it. arguing does nothing to change his call.........with that said, I loved me some Big Lou P. getting fired up and throwing stuff!!!!! But he is a coach.

why is jawing back from the ump bad but jawing by the players is not? players should not argue NOTHING......we hire and pay absurd amounts to these mangers,let them do the arguing. When players salaries are as high as they are, we cannot afford to lose a player to suspension.....I am just a firm follower of the fact that balls and strikes should not be argued. For no reason at all. not even the slightest mumble.
    have you played serious baseball...

For one, check your grammar. You sound like a 5 year old from Kentucky. Secondly, I hate how managers have to come out and "protect" their players. Half the time they don't get a very good view of the pitch or a play at a base. They can only see the height of the pitch. They have no perception of inside or outside. Why then, should they come out and argue with an umpire if the player thinks a ball was outside? The manager has absolutely NOTHING to go off of, except what the player says. I think players should be able to complain about calls, including balls and strikes. If a pitch was off the plate and it was called a third strike, players have a right to complain. Whoever made up this rule about not arguing balls and strikes was flat out stupid. Umpires are human, and any time a human is making judgment calls there will be mistakes. Why should a player have to live with these mistakes without being able to complain? Now, obviously if they say some choice words to the ump or if they argue excessively, yeah toss them out. But, there's no reason why they can't complain on their way back to the dugout.

If the guy isnt told he's doing something wrong. How will he ever get it right. ^^^

have you played serious baseball...
    come on pal.....I have played D3 in college....not serious baseball but still competetive.....and whats that got to do with knowing the game? I supposed all opinions only matter if you played "serious baseball"? I have friends who played for Ohio State and they couldnt sniff some D3 talent, why does it matter if you played serious baseball?
    bgwilly, your normally right in the mix of some great conversations on this board, your opinion is usually pretty spot on....but please tell me again why playing the game has anythign to do with knowing the game.

Turn Off Ads?