Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TSN's article on stadium rankings

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

TSN's article on stadium rankings

They have GABP #25 and worst of all the recently-built parks. I can't possibly believe that. I know it's not a Top 10 place, but there's an awful lot to like about it. Personally, I don't think there are too many better views from the upper level looking out beyond the outfield. I've seen places like the new Busch, Comerica and Turner Field. They aren't better than GABP.

For the record, here was the top and bottom five:

1. Fenway
    2. PNC
    3. Wrigley
    4. Camden
    5. AT&T

26. Rogers Center
    27. Oakland-Alameda
    28. Land Shark
    29. Metrodome
    30. Tropicana
    Rounding third and heading for home...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: TSN's article on stadium rankings

There is nothing special about GABP and honestly its John Allen and Carl Linder's legacy for being a horrible executive and a cheapskate owner. The most important thing about GABP was that it came in under budget.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

GABP just looks tacky to me, the steam boat and pipe just don't impress me. GABP is certainly no where close to PNC park, but then again the Pirates make trips to PNC rather bad if you support the home team.

i know there is so much "history" at wrigley (except any world series wins), but that place is a dump. i have been there multiple times and there is nothing special about it. it's a cool place to go to say that you have been there, but it is nasty. everyone has to leave out of one small door so it takes about 30 minutes to leave, there are massive columns that may impede your view, the fans are all drunks. definitely not deserving of 3. i wouldn't take these rankings too seriously. gabp is a great ballpark in my opinion and it's very fan friendly. $5 tickets, great view from any seat, easy to get to your seat no matter where you are, and it's relatively easy to leave even with big crowds

Quote Originally Posted by sivman17 View Post
    i know there is so much "history" at wrigley (except any world series wins), but that place is a dump. i have been there multiple times and there is nothing special about it. it's a cool place to go to say that you have been there, but it is nasty. everyone has to leave out of one small door so it takes about 30 minutes to leave, there are massive columns that may impede your view, the fans are all drunks. definitely not deserving of 3. i wouldn't take these rankings too seriously. gabp is a great ballpark in my opinion and it's very fan friendly. $5 tickets, great view from any seat, easy to get to your seat no matter where you are, and it's relatively easy to leave even with big crowds
    Agree 100% The ivy and scoreboard are pretty cool, but there's nothing particularly nice about it. And the fans couldn't be any more clueless. When we went there a few years ago, they only stayed until last call and Sammy's last steroid-powered AB. It's not a baseball town like BOS or STL or CIN.

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Agree 100% The ivy and scoreboard are pretty cool, but there's nothing particularly nice about it. And the fans couldn't be any more clueless. When we went there a few years ago, they only stayed until last call and Sammy's last steroid-powered AB. It's not a baseball town like BOS or STL or CIN.
    When you go to Wrigley its fun. They have a totally different atmosphere there than in GABP. At GABP if you are yelling at the players or booing or even cheering really loud you get dirty looks from nearly everyone. GABP is nice its just not charming and there is nothing special about it, its boring. The Reds dropped the ball on their new stadium IMO. The team is stuck with a boring bland stadium for the next 40 years, thanks for being cheap Uncle Carl.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

i just wished they had built it closer to the river and put fewer rows in right field so we could have splash hits like in San Fran. obviously it wouldn't have been original but i think everyone enjoys seeing a ball hit out of the park

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    When you go to Wrigley its fun. They have a totally different atmosphere there than in GABP. At GABP if you are yelling at the players or booing or even cheering really loud you get dirty looks from nearly everyone. GABP is nice its just not charming and there is nothing special about it, its boring. The Reds dropped the ball on their new stadium IMO. The team is stuck with a boring bland stadium for the next 40 years, thanks for being cheap Uncle Carl.
    Agreed. I can't argue with GABP being called the worst of the newly built ballparks. There looks to be nothing particularly special of interesting about it, its just like a standard barebones stadium it seems like.

Maybe some fans here are old enough to remember, I'm wayyy too young as it was gone about 13 years before I was even born, but Crosley Field looked a lot like got Wrigley Field is. It had that old school feel of baseball.

Anyone else think it would have been cool to make an updated model of this park design?

Quote Originally Posted by LouisvilleCARDS View Post

Anyone else think it would have been cool to make an updated model of this park design?
    that would be awesome. definitely!

Quote Originally Posted by sivman17 View Post
    Why do you think they fill up GABP whenever the Cubs are in town?

at the foul ground at Crosley.

Very unique dugout positioning, too. I've never seen them where they're behind home plate like that.

I have never seen so much foul territory...wow.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Why does every stadium have to face downtown? While I think that presents a nice backdrop, I don't mind the pastoral effect created by the backdrop of great american ballpark.

I like it there. It's nice, modern, clean, and easy to get around. I don't like how the first base seats have a different seating bowl arrangement than the third base ones, but...........whatever.

On a related note, I'd love to see us hang 8 on the Cardinals by the 5th inning sometime.

Old Red Guard Reject

I think one of the reasons why GABP gets such low rating is because of PNC park. Two cities that are small markets, play in the same division and the ballparks built relatively in the same time frame. GABP gets compared to PNC and almost always comes up on the short end of the discussion. I like GABP personally, but would have still liked to see it more unique or more upscale. Too much white steel beams and tacky stuff like the steamboat, although it is an upgrade from the ridiculous big, black batter's eye. St. Louis and Philly have lots of brick which makes it look more upscale.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Turn Off Ads?