Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: 7/12/09 Reds vs Mets

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: 7/12/09 Reds vs Mets

I have to say that I thought Willy Taveras was an answer to a question the Reds had this offseason. I admit I was wrong. Enough pop ups and bad fielding plays like in the first today have tipped the scales. He does not deserve the regular beating that he gets on here because nobody does. But he is not a good baseball player. Bring on the rookies.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I have to say that I thought Willy Taveras was an answer to a question the Reds had this offseason. I admit I was wrong. Enough pop ups and bad fielding plays like in the first today have tipped the scales. He does not deserve the regular beating that he gets on here because nobody does. But he is not a good baseball player. Bring on the rookies.
    I came to this as a final conclusion last night when he failed to pull up short on a blooper into CF where I think we'd have had a chance to at least get the runner at second on a force. It was clear he was not thinking out there. He may a fine friendly guy, but the club made a mistake. I'm like you in that I thought perhaps the club was seeing something they could work with, but he's a huge drag at this point and should find a new home. He's not the sole problem with this club, injuries and all, but he's not part of the solution either.
    ďIn the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.Ē - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

This one was depressing.

At the ASB, 4.5 games out of first (with four teams ahead of them) and 6.5 games out of the wild card (with 7 teams ahead of them).

Assuming the Cards went .500 over their remaining 72 games, the Reds would need to go 42-33 over their remaining 75 games (i.e. play .560 ball). They'd also have to hope the other teams ahead of them don't surge.

It's looking like a real tough road to victory. Certainly, they could win-it's not impossible. But the division being theirs for the taking is more illusion than reality.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I was wondering Hernandez was at first and Rosales still in. So Rosales moved out to the outfield, Hanigan slid behind the plate? (I was out gardening)
    Hanigan came in in the middle of the 8th. In the field Hanigan comes in to catch, Hernandez moved to first and Rosales left the game. Hanigan actually came into the batting order in the pitcher's spot.

I don't understand why Dusty let Rosales bat with two men on in the 8th with Hanigan's bat on the bench and then brought Hanigan if after Mendoza, oops, I mean Rosales strands the runners.

Replay of Vottos ejection from the Mets network:
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/media...ent_id=5557407

They have an overhead view around the 1 minute mark that shows the ball was off the plate.
    Mets announcers also thought Baker was slow to get out and protect his player from getting ejected.
    Last edited by CTA513; 07-13-2009 at 02:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Replay of Vottos ejection from the Mets network:
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/media...ent_id=5557407

They have an overhead view around the 1 minute mark that shows the ball was off the plate.
    Mets announcers also thought Baker was slow to get out and protect his player from getting ejected.
    The Mets announcers "it was close enough" uh, yea. Those backup pitches are causing problems for the umps. They are not consistently applying "where the ball crosses the plate." Many of these backup pitches, of which Weathers does not get consistently, seem to be moving into the zone AFTER they cross the plate. That pitch was inside, and that had been building for Votto, who has been upset about called strikes in every game of this series.

The Mets announcers "it was close enough" uh, yea. Those backup pitches are causing problems for the umps. They are not consistently applying "where the ball crosses the plate." Many of these backup pitches, of which Weathers does not get consistently, seem to be moving into the zone AFTER they cross the plate. That pitch was inside, and that had been building for Votto, who has been upset about called strikes in every game of this series.
    To me the overhead angle is the definitive answer. Joey was penalized for being a good hitter. I can see why he'd be ticked.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I came to this as a final conclusion last night when he failed to pull up short on a blooper into CF where I think we'd have had a chance to at least get the runner at second on a force. It was clear he was not thinking out there. He may a fine friendly guy, but the club made a mistake. I'm like you in that I thought perhaps the club was seeing something they could work with, but he's a huge drag at this point and should find a new home. He's not the sole problem with this club, injuries and all, but he's not part of the solution either.
    I'm with you guys. I was willing to give him an opportunity, and I'm still not going to pile on, but I have seen enough of Taveras. He reminds me too much of Curtis Goodwin.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    To me the overhead angle is the definitive answer. Joey was penalized for being a good hitter. I can see why he'd be ticked.
    Yup, he has a great eye at the plate. That is why when he starts woofing, the umps should listen. It works for Sir Albert

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I absolutely agree. I just watched the overhead and was horrified by the call. There is no way a major league umpire should miss that one. Votto should have walked away, but then again it has to be hard to show restraint when you've been rung up twice on questionable pitches.

I, too, love the homerism of the Mets announcers. "It was close enough." Riiiiigggggght.

Turn Off Ads?