Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Minor League Game Updates - Sunday, July 12

Re: Minor League Game Updates - Sunday, July 12

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    He will not move to first. We definitely disagree on his speed. His speed is average based on conversations with scouts who have clocked him to first base. His range in the outfield is below average. His arm is well below average for a left fielder. Overall, his defense is well below average, comparable to an Adam Dunn, although his arm is weaker than Dunn's. His power potential and overall offensive potential is the highest of any hitter on the current Dayton team.
    who's faster Bruce or Wiley???

2. Turn Off Ads?

No game thread today but Fairel dealing, Means with two more infield hits. Eight infield hits in the last six games. He can absolutely fly.
    I like Fairel more than most, yet I believe you projected him as a lefty reliever. Any more logic behind that?
    Go BLUE!!!

Bruce is much faster. Encarnacion is faster.

Fairel had a rough inning and may take the loss. Comparisons to Maloney. Four lefties having success under 90 mph, one at each level with Wood and Horst also.

Fairel had a rough inning and may take the loss. Comparisons to Maloney. Four lefties having success under 90 mph, one at each level with Wood and Horst also.
    Would be great if we had a lefty with success over 90mph.
    Go BLUE!!!

Andrew Bowman is a lefty with a FB 92-95. On some days, he looks like a major leaguer. On other days...well, his ERA is 5.28. The organization still has hopes for him.

How about Mark Pawelek? I believe he fits the bill if he ever has success.
    Go BLUE!!!

Bruce is much faster. Encarnacion is faster.
    thats funny

Tell you what Icehole3. I respect anyone's opinion. Just for you, the first five scouts I see at games this week, I will ask what they have Wiley's speed rated at on the 2 to 8 scale and I will post the responses.

Again, I would not describe Wiley as a lumbering guy, but he is not particularly fast. He has average speed, as I have been saying. And in the outfield, his range on fly balls is below average.

Not that stolen bases are great measures of foot speed, but when Encarnacion was in the Midwest League, he stole 25 bases and was thrown out seven times. Wiley, on a team where every player on the team has the green light to run at any time, on a team where the catcher, who admits he never stole more than five bases in a season in high school, has eight steals, well, Wiley has four steals in nine tries. Last season at Billings, Wiley had two steals.

Wiley is hotter than hot as a hitter and I have seen him hit balls in BP that made me shake my head. But I will guess that he is a 5 runner.

Wiley is hotter than hot as a hitter and I have seen him hit balls in BP that made me shake my head. But I will guess that he is a 5 runner.
    May not be a fair question, but, redsof72, do you think Wiley may be able to move up the ladder quickly?

Tell you what Icehole3. I respect anyone's opinion. Just for you, the first five scouts I see at games this week, I will ask what they have Wiley's speed rated at on the 2 to 8 scale and I will post the responses.

Again, I would not describe Wiley as a lumbering guy, but he is not particularly fast. He has average speed, as I have been saying. And in the outfield, his range on fly balls is below average.

Not that stolen bases are great measures of foot speed, but when Encarnacion was in the Midwest League, he stole 25 bases and was thrown out seven times. Wiley, on a team where every player on the team has the green light to run at any time, on a team where the catcher, who admits he never stole more than five bases in a season in high school, has eight steals, well, Wiley has four steals in nine tries. Last season at Billings, Wiley had two steals.

no need to my friend, I was just defending the guy a little, all the talk about him being nothing more than a 1st baseman got to me a little, I think we both agree he's an average base runner, his OF play, I saw him play center in the Big 12 tourney and he went in the gap and flagged down a fly and thats all I was saying is he can play OF, I respect your opinions for the most part we just didnt agree fully on this one and I think we're on common ground on this kid, we all will see this thing play out and as long as he's a Red we should both be thrilled we have another decent prospect, my job used to hand me 4 or 5 Dragon tickets a year, due to the economy thats out the window, so I have to pretty much go with what you say on the Dragons but I have all the FSN channels so I get to see some old college games from the past so I get to see some Reds draftees from time to time, Im a straight shooter and you can take me for my word.

No offense intended or taken. I emailed a pro scout that I know from an NL Central team that saw Wiley on the last road trip. I asked him for his time on Wiley to first base. Here was the reply. Don't kill the messenger, and again, I am not trying to be a jerk, just providing information:

"The best time I had was a 4.40, which from the LH side is a 30 runner, or well below average…"

Turn Off Ads?