Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SI: Earl Weaver today

Re: SI: Earl Weaver today

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Palmer and Weaver were the analysts for the ALCS one year in the early 80s. Might have been 82 or 83 but it was highly entertaining cause they just sniped at each other all the time.
    I bet they send each other Christmas cards, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the grandchildren weren't allowed to read them.....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Thanks for posting this story Roy. It's a great read.

Great article. Thanks Roy.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    He had some rather surprising comments about steroids.
    A great read, though. Earl has always been one of my favorites.
    I wasn't really surprised by that. Buck O'Neal said essentially the same thing in the book I read about him. Players were always looking for any edge they could find.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I wasn't really surprised by that. Buck O'Neal said essentially the same thing in the book I read about him. Players were always looking for any edge they could find.
    Yep and fans are looking for hero's in the wrong arena if they don't expect to see that sort of reality from time to time from the folks actually playing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yep and fans are looking for hero's in the wrong arena if they don't expect to see that sort of reality from time to time from the folks actually playing the game.
    It makes one really wonder about the source of moral indignation emanating from many sportswriters... It seems a bit out of touch with the game they are covering.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Weaver managed 12 full seasons in the big leagues, not counting... 1986, part of a brief tenure when he was coaxed out of retirement (by good friend owner Edward Bennett Williams) to help the Orioles sell tickets

I remember Auto-Pilot Earl in 1986. Entire scenario sort of reminds me of Walt Jocketty. Same guy, but it weren't the same.

Neither was the team.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Great read. Several laugh out loud moments, even though I've heard most of these stories before. Does anyone remember the story of Weaver storming out of the roast in his honor?
    Stick to your guns.

She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    He had some rather surprising comments about steroids.
    A great read, though. Earl has always been one of my favorites.
    Guys have always been cheating. Period. It just takes a little different form today. I'm just glad they didn't have steroids when I was playing. I don't know what I would have done. It's very difficult to go out and perform when you know the guy next to you is taking steroids or some kind of drug to make you perform better and not do it yourself, to let this guy get an edge on you.

I don't know that I really criticize the guys. Whoever the first guy is that started it, that's the guy I criticize. The rest of the guys just followed suit. I don't think its OK. I'm not sanctioning it, but I understand why it happens."

Bob Gibson
    http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2009/07/14/b...eating-period/

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    Weaver managed 12 full seasons in the big leagues, not counting... 1986, part of a brief tenure when he was coaxed out of retirement (by good friend owner Edward Bennett Williams) to help the Orioles sell tickets

I remember Auto-Pilot Earl in 1986. Entire scenario sort of reminds me of Walt Jocketty. Same guy, but it weren't the same.
    Yea, its the same but different.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Yea, its the same but different.
    be more proactive, not so reactive my friend. I'll bet you're holding out on us

Turn Off Ads?