Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best play you've seen a Red's catcher make?

What is the best play you've seen a Red's catcher make?

I'm 41, and my memories of Bench are a bit dim. So my nominee will sound a bit strange.

Though I cannot remember the game exactly, or the opponent, maybe someone can help me out. It seem like a drive to LF. Corky Miller was stationed very nonchalant just inside the baseline. He completely deked the runner and tagged him out. I could not stop laughing. Seems like it was 2004 or maybe 2003.

I think it was Miller... Anybody remember a Reds catcher doing this. It's possible it was Ross, but for some reason it seems like it was Miller.
    Suck it up cupcake.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What is the best play you've seen a Red's catcher make?

I dont remeber that play, but i do remember Johnny Bench once near the end of his career, a foul tip, bounced off his glove up in the air and he was like trying to catch it between his free hand and glove hand back and forth till he finally caught it and he did so in the far end of the right handed batters box.. i was like wow.. and you could tell he was like "Wow, i didnt drop it!"..lol

Bench was so adept at the one handed swipe tag at the plate. Very athletic. Saw him make a boatload of fabulous plays. He was very good on pop-ups and bunts as well.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Bench was so adept at the one handed swipe tag at the plate. Very athletic. Saw him make a boatload of fabulous plays. He was very good on pop-ups and bunts as well.
    I tried to find it but there is a picture of Bench flying in the air just like Superman attempting to put a one handed tag on I think it was either Mays or Aaron.
    It's prob my favorite Bench pic.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I'm 41, and my memories of Bench are a bit dim. So my nominee will sound a bit strange.

Though I cannot remember the game exactly, or the opponent, maybe someone can help me out. It seem like a drive to LF. Corky Miller was stationed very nonchalant just inside the baseline. He completely deked the runner and tagged him out. I could not stop laughing. Seems like it was 2004 or maybe 2003.

I think it was Miller... Anybody remember a Reds catcher doing this. It's possible it was Ross, but for some reason it seems like it was Miller.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were Corky. He's a pretty savvy guy. I think he stole home once because the runner on 1st dived back in and the 1st baseman was right handed so his back was to Corky.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I tried to find it but there is a picture of Bench flying in the air just like Superman attempting to put a one handed tag on I think it was either Mays or Aaron.
    It's prob my favorite Bench pic.
    Think I know the picture you are talking about. It is a great picture. Think it might have been Billy Williams that he was tagging.

John Wooden

Bench- vaulting out of the crouch on a bunt to field the ball and fire to second, nailing the lead runner. He did it about a zillion times.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Haunted by walks

This might be the photo you're thinking of.

http://www.affordablehomegoods.com/r...ny_bench_5.jpg

Can't remember the game, but I recall JB taking a throw from the outfield, there were two guys trying to score on a double from first and second the second one about 10 feet behind the first). Johnny got the tag down on the first ina bang-bandg play to the inside of theplate then lunging to the outside and tagging the second guy trying to slide around him.

Seems like I remember Ross making a heck of a block with his leg while stretching for the throw then bringing it back for the tag.

Always like watching Santiago snapping throws from his knees too.

He was even a stylist when blocking the plate. He'd often give a clear path to the plate, then slide in front of the runner once he committed to slide, blocking with his shinguard. Give it to them, then take it away.

He remains the gold standard, IMO.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

A catch Bench made at Wrigley Field. A foul pop up went back behind the plate,Bench went back to catch it near the brick wall. As he caught it he put his leg up against the wall, pushed off of it and threw to 2nd to try to get the runner. I don't think he got the runner but to have the presence to know to push off that wall and throw it was just amazing to me.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Bench- vaulting out of the crouch on a bunt to field the ball and fire to second, nailing the lead runner. He did it about a zillion times.
    He did that better than anyone else. When watching those old World Series games I am amazed at how easily he did that. We just took it for granted back then.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I have always been pretty fond of the double Joe Oliver hit to win Game 2 of the 1990 WS.

If we're talking offense, I was pretty fond of Bench's homerun to tie the game in the 1972 Championship Series against the Pirates.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    If we're talking offense, I was pretty fond of Bench's homerun to tie the game in the 1972 Championship Series against the Pirates.
    Very fond of that one and his entire 1976 World Series.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?