Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are some exciting plays you have seen at a Reds game?

What are some exciting plays you have seen at a Reds game?

I was thinking with the differnt position players asked about, I wondered what exciting things has Reds fans on here seen in person?

1) Deion Sanders scoring from 2nd on a routine gronder to SS.. I was at the game and was like WOW he is fast!! I dont rember who it was against.. but the ball was near up the middle.. the SS fielded the ball and thru to 1st and Deion didnt stop when he hit 3rd and scored on that play..

2) I witnessed back-back-back homers 2 different times, 2 seasons in a row!! I think 1999 was one of the years.. i might be wrong..

3) Watching the Reds hit 4 homers (might have been in one of the same games mentioned above) in the 8th inning and almost had 5 as Hal Morris had his caught next to the wall to end the inning..that was a great comeback win!!

4) 1999 game against the Cards.. the Reds kept battling back and tied it in the ninth then won it in the 10th on a Pookie Reese walk off.. It was near the end of the season and the reds needed that win..that was one of the most exciting games i saw..

5) Saw Reggie Sanders throw out a runner at home in 5 consecutive games i went to when he was a Red.. one was almost at the warning track, he threw a seed to home and nailed the runner.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What are some exciting plays you have seen at a Reds game?

In person and not on TV.

I went to all the 1990 Playoff and WS games so

1) Glenn Braggs robbing a HR in Game 6 of the NLCS.

2) Paul O'Neill's throw to nail Andy Van Slyke at 3B in the NLCS.

3) Joe Olivers game winning hit in Game 2 of the WS. I would have a heart attack if I jumped around that much in celebration today.

4) Eric Davis HR in Game 1 of the 90' Series. It was like throwing a punch and knocking Ali down in the first round.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I was going to say O'Neill's throw to get Van Slyke too.

Most exciting defensive end to a game I witnessed was against Cleveland, on 7/7/2000 (my wife's birthday, no less). Up 2-0 in the 9th inning, Graves comes in to close it out.

Graves gets the first batter out, then gives up a single to Alomar. Thome, pinch hitting for Vazquel, flies out to LF. Alomar moves to second with no throw from the Reds with Travis Fryman batting. Fryman walks.

Russell Branyon pinch hits for Sexson and doubles to LF. Alomar scores, but Fryman is thrown out at the plate trying to score with a beautiful throw from Alex Ochoa to Barry Larkin to Santiago. Wow, we just went nuts!
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Game 4, 1990 NLCS at Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh.

Eric Davis throws Bobby Bonilla out trying to stretch a double into a triple.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

eric davis legging out a triple to complete the cycle

browning strking out Tracy Woodson to pitch the only perfect game in Reds history

walkoff hr from Dunn against the expos before a sellout crowd
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

All of Javy's walkoffs.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Man Pills

Barry Larkin stealing home in 1995.

Barry Larkin throwing out a White Sox in some interleague game in 97 or 98 I think. From his knees waaaaay out in left.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    All of Javy's walkoffs.
    I was there for the one against Valverde and the D-Backs.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I was there, just behind the 3rd base dugout (1991?) when Rob Dibble was enraged with himself for nearly blowing a save, and when the catcher tossed him the ball at the end of the game, he turned, and from between the mound and home plate, launched one into the green seats in CF, striking a departing fan.

good times.

On the other hand, it IS something I'll never forget.

Griffey's walkoff inside the park HR. When the ball bounced so awkwardly and strong off the makeshift batter's eye everyone kinda new he would try for it. Trying to see him running and the Cardinals (IIRC) outfield scrambling to get the balln at the same time...it was intense. Screaming "RUN, @#(&%&# you, RUN!" When he slid in safe at home the place just erupted.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. That’s the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I was there, just behind the 3rd base dugout (1991?) when Rob Dibble was enraged with himself for nearly blowing a save, and when the catcher tossed him the ball at the end of the game, he turned, and from between the mound and home plate, launched one into the green seats in CF, striking a departing fan.

good times.

On the other hand, it IS something I'll never forget.
    I just read about a similar thing in this book I'm reading about Lou Brissie, the WWII vet who went on to play MLB after a serious injury in battle. He mentioned a pitcher for the St. Louis Browns who did this after the manager came out to remove him from the game. The manager told him afterwards to be at the ballpark early the next day. Arriving, he had the grounds keeper there who proceed to measure the distances from the mound to where the ball landed in the seats (not much chance it hit anybody at a Browns' game!) and fined him a dollar per each foot he threw it (not an insubstantial amount in that day).
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Chris Stynes' walk off 3 run homer in 1999.

Adam Dunn and Joe Randa go back to back on opening day. That was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Game 4, 1990 NLCS at Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh.

Eric Davis throws Bobby Bonilla out trying to stretch a double into a triple.
    To me, the greatest play ever in Reds' history.
    Sabermetrics is this: A batter's goal is to extend the inning. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than him.

Forget the rain. It's never an official game until the Reds piss away a run between third base and home plate. - Bluegrass Redleg

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Griffey's walk off two run HR in the 9th vs. Pittsburg last year with my two sons. I think we knew it would be our last Griffey harrah.

Randa and Dunn back to back on OD was cool.

Personal fave: WMP hitting a walk-off HR versus the Drays in interleague and on his own bobblehead night to boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Turn Off Ads?