Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Opens tonight. From the previews, I'm excited, but there's one trailer that has me scratching my head. It looks like they took a scene from the 7th book and placed it in this one. If that's the case I'll be most displeased.

Anyway, I'm going to see it tonight at midnight.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Are you going to dress up like a wizard?

I'm really excited about this. From all the advance press, it appears to be leaps above the tepid Order of the Phoenix and the best since Cuaron's Prisoner of Azkaban.

Are you referring to the attack on the Burrow? It's an added scene, so I'm not sure if they'll show the wedding attack in Deathly Hallows.

You mean differently than any other day?

I've enjoyed all the HP movies.

Emma Watson is 19 now.

After she started to uh mature, I said to a friend of mine, how creepy is it that I notice that a girl who's playing a 15 year old is hot.

My friend looks it up and says, "When she's actually 15." Yikes.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I'll be seeing it tomorrow, most likely.

"Half-Blood Prince" was probably my 4th favorite book in the series (Behind Azkaban, Goblet, and Deathly), but still a very good book. It's very heavy on exposition, especially with the Voldemort-history stuff, so I'm curious how they're going to handle all of that (or if they'll deal with it at all).

Hopefully it'll stand on it's own as a good movie (ala Azkaban) as opposed to just a visual-aid for reading the book like a couple of these movies have been.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I thought only children read these books?

I'll be going to the midnight showing tonight too as much for the crazies who dress up as for the actual movie...

I've heard the ending does not exactly follow the book, which is sure to upset some fans...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I see BaseClogger is already in line...

Wow nice heels BaseClogger.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I've heard the ending does not exactly follow the book, which is sure to upset some fans...
    Well not exactly, but I've gotten to the point where I trust a little artistic license. It's funny the movie didn't have the two scenes I was most interested in seeing and I'm still pretty happy with the overall product.

I thought the movie was awesome, but my costume couldn't touch the Hagrid costume I saw...

After the first viewing, my ranking of the films is as follows:
    6>>3>>4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>5>>>>>2=1

I think HBP will go down as the Empire Strikes Back of the HP series. Great acting, incredible cinematography and art direction, overall fantastic tone throughout.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Saw the movie tonight -- I really liked how they handled it. I'll need to watch it again to decide if I like it more than Azkaban, but my first impression is that they acquitted themselves quite well.

** SPOILERS BELOW ** (Though really, all this stuff has been out in print for almost four years now)

I haven't read the book in a while, so I can't give a blow-by-blow of the changes made -- though, the one that stood out as *really* being downplayed was the "Who is the Half Blood Prince?" subplot, which I thought was interesting given that it's the title of the film/book and all.

They also completely cut out the Voldemort family history stuff -- which I can't say that I missed too much. I found most of that interesting in the book, but I don't think it was necessary to the overall plot. In the book, it felt like a half-cocked attempt to bring a third dimension to Voldemort's character when, in reality, Voldemort works better as a menacing force with an only slightly known past (ala Darth Vader). Just IMO, but I think the movie worked better without them.

I thought the climax felt a bit rushed too -- they spent a ton of time following Malfoy in the "Room of Requirement" with the vanishing cabinet (an even more explicit setup than the book gave) and then, when he lets the Death Eaters into Hogwarts, they kill Dumbledore and bail. I would've definitely preferred that they have played that out more and involve the Order of the Phoenix the way the book did.

I thought the one aspect of the book they nailed, although changing significantly, was the development of the Harry / Ginny relationship and the ongoing Ron / Hermione subplot. I thought it felt very organic here, whereas in the book (as I recalll) it seemed to come slightly out of left field and as the result of Harry drinking the "luck" potion more than anything else. The scene with Harry and Hermoine in the stairs (right after Ron runs off snogging Lavander) where she asks him how it feels when he sees Ginny with someone else was a great addition in that regard.

And, although it didn't add anything -- I loved getting some more Quidditch scenes. It's total fanservice, but it's beyond cool and nice since we definitely won't see any more from here on out. I hope I'm alive long enough to see technology leap forward enough to let kids play this game.

Quote Originally Posted by MilotheMayor View Post
    I think HBP will go down as the Empire Strikes Back of the HP series. Great acting, incredible cinematography and art direction, overall fantastic tone throughout.
    It's funny -- when the movie ended, I thought that it was a direct homage to the ending of "The Empire Strikes Back," where Luke and Leia are standing together on the medical frigate looking into the starlight. This movie ends on a very similar note (heroes together, taking a moment of reflection, before heading off on their journey) with a very similar shot (standing at the rail/window, looking into the light). I'm not certain if it was intentional, but it definitely came off that way to me.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?