Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where will we find a SS?

Where will we find a SS?

So there is one thing that we can all agree on and that is that the Reds need to find a new SS.They have to find one soon and certainly cannot go into the 2010 season without making a move.I think I'd rather have Yanish then any of the available FA consider how old they are and what we might need to pay them.If I were to make one big trade this season it would be for a SS.The RH power bat for the middle of the line up can be found much easier this off season imo.Here is what we have to choose from as fan as FA go.

Orlando Cabrera (35)
    Alex Cora (34)
    Craig Counsell (39)
    Bobby Crosby (30)
    Adam Everett (33)
    Chris Gomez (39)
    Alex Gonzalez (32) - $6MM mutual option with a $500K buyout
    Khalil Greene (30)
    Jerry Hairston Jr. (34)
    John McDonald (35)
    Marco Scutaro (34)
    Miguel Tejada (36)
    Omar Vizquel (43)
    Jack Wilson (32) - $8.4MM club option with a $600K buyout

Make your case for one of these guys if you would like but I'd rather hear some trade idea's.I'll throw one out there.I recently read that the Indians would consider trading Jonny Peralta.I for one would give a lot for him.I love Masset but if the Indians wanted him and a top prospect I'd deal.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Where will we find a SS?

Usually, positioned between the second and third base bags, slightly more towards shallow left field.

To answer the title question.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    Usually, positioned between the second and third base bags, slightly more towards shallow left field.

To answer the title question.
    That might be the case with most teams.Let ask you this.If someone is standing on the field in the position you have stated does it actually make them a SS or could they just be pretending.
    Last edited by Captain Hook; 07-14-2009 at 08:27 PM.

I still don't get not playing BP there and find a second baseman.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
    I don't really understand everyones infatuation with that. It's one thing if we had a capable 2B, or could bring in a 2B that was much better than a SS we could bring in, but does anyone have something in mind or just want to move Phillips? Moving him for the sake of moving him seems pointless this to me. I wanted them to sign Orlando Hudson this offseason, which wouldve been a very nice tandem up the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    So there is one thing that we can all agree on and that is that the Reds need to find a new SS.They have to find one soon and certainly cannot go into the 2010 season without making a move.I think I'd rather have Yanish then any of the available FA consider how old they are and what we might need to pay them.If I were to make one big trade this season it would be for a SS.The RH power bat for the middle of the line up can be found much easier this off season imo.Here is what we have to choose from as fan as FA go.

Orlando Cabrera (35)
    Alex Cora (34)
    Craig Counsell (39)
    Bobby Crosby (30)
    Adam Everett (33)
    Chris Gomez (39)
    Alex Gonzalez (32) - $6MM mutual option with a $500K buyout
    Khalil Greene (30)
    Jerry Hairston Jr. (34)
    John McDonald (35)
    Marco Scutaro (34)
    Miguel Tejada (36)
    Omar Vizquel (43)
    Jack Wilson (32) - $8.4MM club option with a $600K buyout

Make your case for one of these guys if you would like but I'd rather hear some trade idea's.I'll throw one out there.I recently read that the Indians would consider trading Jonny Peralta.I for one would give a lot for him.I love Masset but if the Indians wanted him and a top prospect I'd deal.
    I'd rather pick someone from Louisville than any one of those players.

Only name on the list even slightly intriguing is Tejada, and that would only be if you could get Rolen for 3rd. Surronding him with GG's at 3rd and 2nd would make his D okay. Only way Reds could afford that though is if they trade both EE and Arroyo, and all of their contracts.

That's the thing that frustrates me the most about Cincy. Let's say they're able to trade EE and Arroyo. They still wouldn't do something like that, as it's too risky for them, and they'd probably have to add about 5 million to the payroll. Plus look at the potential outfield D.

I mean look at the potential 2010 team:

1. Dickerson Cf
    2. Tejada SS
    3. Votto 1st
    4. Rolen 3rd
    5. Phillips 2nd
    6. Bruce Rf
    7. Hanigan C
    8. Heisey/Stubbs Lf

1. Harang
    2. Volquez
    3. Cueto
    4 Homer
    5. Owings

Bullpen would be roughly the same, minus Weathers
    Last edited by NeilHamburger; 07-14-2009 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    I don't really understand everyones infatuation with that. It's one thing if we had a capable 2B, or could bring in a 2B that was much better than a SS we could bring in, but does anyone have something in mind or just want to move Phillips? Moving him for the sake of moving him seems pointless this to me. I wanted them to sign Orlando Hudson this offseason, which wouldve been a very nice tandem up the middle.
    I dont either, I think one person mentioned it, and others have taken it and run with it, it makes no sense to me. It would be a different thing if BP wasnt GG at second already.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Jocketty and Castellini will talk a good game this offseason then a few weeks later say they can't bring in players due to being a small market team. After taking the cheap route Paul Janish will be the shortstop next season.

Those are some pretty scruffy FA's... And old.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda......He is playing 3rd base for the White Sox. We chose Yonder, then the Sox took Gordon Beckam.

Zack Cozart/Chris Valakia or AGon on a cheaper cotract after the buyout.

Personally I don't understand why more people arent higher on Cozart on this board. He has improved his approach at the plate the last 2 years. Skipped a level and proabaly compares well with Janish in the field. He has enough power, .444 slugging this year after he had a .457 last year, a solid OBP .372 up from .330 last year. He already has walked 15 more times this year in 105 less AB's and OPSing .816 up from .787 last year even with his slugging slightlly down and is hitting .313 wRISP. I would bet he could put up slightly better numbers at the plate than AGon right now as a 23 year old. I really would like to see him get a promotion next month to AAA so he has a "shot" in Spring Training next year.

Hes in AA, and will be in AAA before the season is over.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Hes in AA, and will be in AAA before the season is over.
    I've internally wondered if that is why Valakia made the switch to 2B to allow a spot for Cozart eventually in AAA...

Old Red Guard Reject

Quote Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post

I would move BP and live with it if we could acquire Willy Aybar BP is a good athlete and probably would be at least above-average over there. His bat certainly is above-average for the position.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Turn Off Ads?