22 14.29%
  • Keep both & move Heisey to RF or LF

82 53.25%
  • Trade both & use Dickerson in CF

4 2.60%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Vote: Stubbs or Heisey

Re: Vote: Stubbs or Heisey

Could Heisey become a Cincinnati version of Jason Werth? Is there enough talent in the tank to get him to that level?
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished

Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The base you want to acquire is home.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I agree with Doug Willie T starts 2010 and bats leadoff. I wouldnt trade either

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    keeping both isn't a good option as we have holes elsewhere and a stopgap left fielder (until Frazier or Alonso is ready) shouldn't be too hard to find.
    I don't agree. We don't need to trade one at this point. Besides we don't even know if trading one would fill one of those holes anyway. For every trade there has to be a match. We just need to pickup a FA for left. Every other spot can be filled internally unless a really good offer comes our way.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I don't agree. We don't need to trade one at this point. Besides we don't even know if trading one would fill one of those holes anyway. For every trade there has to be a match. We just need to pickup a FA for left. Every other spot can be filled internally unless a really good offer comes our way.
    We don't need to trade one to trade one, but this team has other problems that do need to be addressed in the trade market. There just aren't guys in the pipeline for certain areas and the team is going to need to aquire some one. They can't really afford free agents that can help much, so if there is no trade from areas of depth, how does the team go about acquiring what it needs?

Stubbs/Heisey along with Valaika/Frazier, Francisco/Soto and a few of the young pitchers are the depth areas that this team needs to draw on to improve the major league team.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    Could Heisey become a Cincinnati version of Jason Werth? Is there enough talent in the tank to get him to that level?
    I wonder if he could be a Victorino type player? A guy who has sneaky power, is able to play all 3 outfield positions, hit in the 2 hole, and be a very valuable player.

If Stubbs is truely a great defender, Heisey can hit, and Dickerson can do what he is doing, they may not have an outfield with a whole lot of pop, but they will have an outfield that gets on base and will catch anything in sight. If the Reds are able to be a plus bat at 3b I would be quite content running 2 of Dickerson, Stubbs, and Heisey out there every day.

IMO too much is made over whether a player has a powerful enough bat for a certain position. Especially in GABP, if a player has some pop in his bat he will hit 20+ HRs a season. IMO Heisey should have enough pop to play LF.

Two rookies (plus the addition of Frazier, wherever and whenever he sticks in the Queen City) in the OF? Seems like a lot to ask. I don't see them breaking in two or three OFers with no experience. (Though I think both are good enough to be positives on the team.)
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Two rookies (plus the addition of Frazier, wherever and whenever he sticks in the Queen City) in the OF? Seems like a lot to ask. I don't see them breaking in two or three OFers with no experience. (Though I think both are good enough to be positives on the team.)
    I have fonder memories than most, I guess, of the Kal Daniels/Paul O'Neill/Tracy Jones influx that happened just after Eric Davis established himself. Of all the positions on the diamond to carry and be successful with youngsters, OF is, in my opinion, the easier place to break them in and have success.
    Last edited by membengal; 07-15-2009 at 03:43 PM.

I do not think Taveras will be the starting CF in 2010. I have confidence in the Reds' leadership to admit their mistake eventually. By this time next year, WT will either be on the bench or with another team. I hope they don't let me down.

Stubbs is Stillwell. Heisey is looking more and more like Larkin. Heisey's performance this year has caused me to change my perspective. Keep Heisey, trade Stubbs.
    Go BLUE!!!

Marlins some how continuously play all these young cheap guys. Leadership can be bought for cheap.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

If one must be dealt my pick would be Stubbs to go. That said he's probably the only true CF we have so keeping them both doesn't bother me either but I do think trading him now would be wise in the long run, assuming we get back something of substance.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I think I favor an option that's not listed. Keep both and let them compete for CF. And go from there.

Keep both, move Frazier to 3B, if you have to trade anyone, look at Alonso and EE. Depth is never a bad thing, I would rather have 12 guys on a team capable of starting and pushing each other than 8 starters and 4 you hope don't play enough to hurt the team.

Just curiously, what is the history of players who have done what Heisey has done? That is, be a mid round draft pick, play decently if uninspired for two or three seasons, then turn it on and dominate AA and/or AAA pitching.

Who has done that before, or something like that before, and how did they end up playing in the majors?

I am not looking for any one answer, or trying to make a point. I just have no idea and think it's a good question to ask.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Just curiously, what is the history of players who have done what Heisey has done? That is, be a mid round draft pick, play decently if uninspired for two or three seasons, then turn it on and dominate AA and/or AAA pitching.

Who has done that before, or something like that before, and how did they end up playing in the majors?

I am not looking for any one answer, or trying to make a point. I just have no idea and think it's a good question to ask.
    Jason Bay was a 22nd round draft pick. He posted a .727 OPS in High-A and .743 OPS in Rookie Ball.

Shane Victorino - 6th round pick. Posted a .748 OPS in AA, .759 overall in the minors.

Nate McLouth - 25th round pick. .765 OPS in AAA, .794 in minors.

Mike Lowell - 20th round pick. .651 OPS in Rookie Ball, .768 OPS in Low-A.

I'm sure there are more. I'm just thinking of guys off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post

Chris Denorfia circa 2005 comes to mind, although as BA noted few players (let alone late round picks) have had as much of a meteoric rise as Heisey has in the first half of this year.

FWIW, I never really believed in Denorfia. I'm starting to come around on Heisey.
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-15-2009 at 04:42 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?