22 14.29%
  • Keep both & move Heisey to RF or LF

82 53.25%
  • Trade both & use Dickerson in CF

4 2.60%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Vote: Stubbs or Heisey

Re: Vote: Stubbs or Heisey

I don't remember anyone ever projecting Smitherman as an above average regular. That's what scouts are projecting Heisey as.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I don't remember anyone ever projecting Smitherman as an above average regular. That's what scouts are projecting Heisey as.
    Maybe not those "in the know" but the Marty Brennamens and Lance McCallisters of the world were very excited about him.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I am seeing plenty of love for both prospects in the above results, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Maybe not those "in the know" but the Marty Brennamens and Lance McCallisters of the world were very excited about him.
    And that's worth how much??

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    And that's worth how much??
    Gotta remember it in the context of the time. JR, Dunn, Kearns, and Pena were all entrenched, with Freel as hustle depth. The casual fans weren't begging for the next big thing. I remember several conversations when Griffey was hurt, about putting Dunn at first and calling up Smitherman to go with Kearns and Pena in the OF.
    Last edited by LoganBuck; 07-16-2009 at 09:24 PM.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Very true. It seemed the Reds didn't have much interest in calling him up, but his numbers pretty much forced them to give him a try. Steve Gibralter had a similar story back in '95.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    According to Cot's, these are the free agents available after this season:

Shortstops
    Orlando Cabrera OAK
    Bobby Crosby OAK
    Adam Everett DET
    Alex Gonzalez * CIN
    Khalil Greene STL
    John McDonald TOR
    Marco Scutaro TOR
    Miguel Tejada HOU
    Jack Wilson * PIT

Tejada can still hit, but isn't a good SS. Scutaro is having a career year. Not much else.
    I don't know why he isn't listed there but I'm pretty sure Macier Izturis will be a FA as well.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If the Reds want to go out and get a legit SS of MLB caliber, then lets go for it. However if the Reds are going to go out and spend 5 million per year on another questionable shortstop, then what is the point?

Now as for Cozart and maybe being an answer... well thats just chance the Reds are going to have to take if they aren't willing to spend 10 million a year on a shortstop and well, the odds aren't good that they are going to be doing that anytime soon. Cozart has shown at a relatively high level in the minors that he has strong plate discipline, no glaring offensive weakness and that he is a good glove man.
    Hmm, a popular opinion but one I don't agree with. SS is one of, if not the most premiere everyday positions on the field and yet 5 million for a good defender who has at least some offensive capability at that position is somehow again and again construed as a bad investment. 5 million-ish per for Gonzo at the time was a good price IMO no matter what followed.

And I would also spend 5 million-ish per on Izturis next offseason assuming he's available (am pretty sure he is a FA). You may not get a guy who can do it all with him but he does enough to warrant 5 million based on what others at the position make. He's a solid defender with no glaring weaknesses, and isn't an offensive liability even though he's no offensive juggernaut. Now I would give him a 3 year deal and tell him up front that he will be given every opportunity to win and keep the job but that our organization plays the best players (despite the fact we know better in reality) and that he should never get comfortable. And if in a year or 2 Cozart can take his job well then we have an expensive bench player but one who has done it before and can play both MI spots and would be a solid guy off the bench. Or a fairly priced guy who should bring something solid back in a trade down the road.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I don't know why he isn't listed there but I'm pretty sure Macier Izturis will be a FA as well.
    I see him listed on one site as arbitration eligible this upcoming offseason and a FA after 2010. Cots has him listed under 3rd basemen in the tab:

Potential Free Agents for 2011
    The following players have contracts expiring or should have the six years of service necessary to become free agents after the 2010 season.

Third Basemen
    Garrett Atkins COL
    Wilson Betemit CWS
    Jorge Cantu FLA
    Eric Chavez OAK *
    Pedro Feliz PHI
    Bill Hall MIL *
    Brandon Inge DET
    Maicer Izturis LAA
    Mike Lowell BOS
    Melvin Mora BAL
    Nick Punto MIN *
    Scott Rolen TOR
    Ty Wigginton BAL
    Last edited by redsfandan; 07-18-2009 at 01:06 PM.

Chris Smitherman played baseball!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I see him listed on one site as arbitration eligible this upcoming offseason and a FA after 2010. Cots has him listed under 3rd basemen in the tab:

Potential Free Agents for 2011
    The following players have contracts expiring or should have the six years of service necessary to become free agents after the 2010 season.

Third Basemen
    Garrett Atkins COL
    Wilson Betemit CWS
    Jorge Cantu FLA
    Eric Chavez OAK *
    Pedro Feliz PHI
    Bill Hall MIL *
    Brandon Inge DET
    Maicer Izturis LAA
    Mike Lowell BOS
    Melvin Mora BAL
    Nick Punto MIN *
    Scott Rolen TOR
    Ty Wigginton BAL
    Ah, even better good find RFD. 1 more year of arbitration maybe we can buy it out if we make a deal for him. Why they have him at 3rd I'll never know his best position is SS, although he can play 2B and 3B but I doubt his arm is quite good enough to be considered a 3B, adequate maybe but not ideal.

--Woody Hayes

Drew Stubbs: The Reds’ outfield is not instilling much fear in opponents as of late. Willy Taveras and Laynce Nix each have OBPs below .300. With Jay Bruce’s 18 homers on the DL, Nix leads the outfielders with eight dingers on the year. Thankfully, the organization keeps churning out outfield prospects. Stubbs is absolutely dripping with potential, athleticism and tools. Although he’ll likely always struggle to hit for a high average due to his contact issues (25.4 K%), the left-handed hitter could still manage to bat .250-.270. He has just two homers on the year, but Stubbs has the potential to hit 10-15 with his fair share of walks in the Majors when he matures as a hitter. Currently, he has 36 steals in 42 attempts and plays a plus centerfield

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/ind...mpacts-july-23

Obviously a mistake by the writer as Stubbs is a RH batter.

obm where ya been man

Quote Originally Posted by aubashbrother View Post
    obm where ya been man
    Myrtle Beach. I checked minor league scores on my brothers laptop but I stayed away from Redszone. ORG has been tough to read lately with the way the Reds are playing. Checking out hotties in bikinis or debating the Reds problems on Redszone? Hmmm, tough choice.

Myrtle Beach. I checked minor league scores on my brothers laptop but I stayed away from Redszone. ORG has been tough to read lately with the way the Reds are playing. Checking out hotties in bikinis or debating the Reds problems on Redszone? Hmmm, tough choice.
    The Reds seem to be checking out the hotties while they're playing. Or checking out something other than the game, LOL.

Myrtle Beach sounds nice about now.

The Stubbs-Heisey dilemma is a nice one right now.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Turn Off Ads?