Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Wednesday 7/15/09 Minor League Updates

Re: Wednesday 7/15/09 Minor League Updates

Say, did Eric Young, Jr. play in the game?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    If he did I don't think they mentioned his name very much. I do know his dad was doing the announcing.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    If he did I don't think they mentioned his name very much. I do know his dad was doing the announcing.

I'm surprised he wasn't named MVP.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Stubbs has a great eye up there.

Stubbs goes WAAAAYYYYYYY OUUUTTTT for a LOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGGGG HR!
    It got out by two inches as it hit just above the top of the wall. Great blast, though. Nice showing at the ballpark, too. It was a great game all the way to the last out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    He made the last out, representing the tying run.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Stubbs crushed that ball. I'm guessing 420 feet.

Dangit. I was going to predict a home run by Stubbs tonight just as a joke but I walked outside and forgot to post it.
    It's a short distance to Left Field and the ball was on the downward slope. It was probably only about 380-390 feet. Actually, Vancouver Red is probably more accurate at 370 at best.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 07-16-2009 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    It got out by two inches as it hit just above the top of the wall. Great blast, though. Nice showing at the ballpark, too. It was a great game all the way to the last out.
    Two inches? It cleared the wall by a wide margin.

Quote Originally Posted by davereds24 View Post
    what a great park they have there.
    Redesigned and renovated only 6 years ago specifically for minor league baseball, the new mayor ( http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/...gay_mayor.html ) is a member of the "Timbers Army", a soccer fanclub, and manipulated a deal to have the baseball team (and Portland State sports) kicked out beginning in 2011, as the stadium will be renovated to support Soccer only (and it's 8 home games a year). There will be no minor league baseball in Portland beginning in 2011.

It is a beautiful park as it sits right now.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Two inches? It cleared the wall by a wide margin.
    There's just a metal railing above the wall and it would have had to hit that railing to come back in. The Railing only stands about 3-1/2-4 feet high made up of two horizontal posts with a 1-1/2 feet of air between the posts. It couldn't have been much over the wall as it would have gone through to the people.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Redesigned and renovated only 6 years ago specifically for minor league baseball, the new mayor ( http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/...gay_mayor.html ) is a member of the "Timbers Army", a soccer fanclub, and manipulated a deal to have the baseball team (and Portland State sports) kicked out beginning in 2011, as the stadium will be renovated to support Soccer only (and it's 8 home games a year). There will be no minor league baseball in Portland beginning in 2011.

Not completely accurate. They are trying to find a spot for the AAA Beavers- but the first two proposals (the first was tearing down the old Coliseum in the Rose Quarter, the second was building a new park in the Lents section of the city on the east side) were shot down for various reasons.

They're going to find the Beavs a spot. Merritt Paulson owns both the Beavers and the Timbers, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    They're going to find the Beavs a spot. Merritt Paulson owns both the Beavers and the Timbers, after all.
    It'd be nice to find a different spot for soccer since the current stadium was good enough to host the AAA All-Star game. What is Portland State going to do?

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...soccer_re.html

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

It'd be nice to find a different spot for soccer since the current stadium was good enough to host the AAA All-Star game. What is Portland State going to do?

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...soccer_re.html

Frankly, PSU is pretty low on the priority list from all I can gather. I'm sure there's some idea for them given that they just went Division I a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    Frankly, PSU is pretty low on the priority list from all I can gather. I'm sure there's some idea for them given that they just went Division I a couple of years ago.
    ....all for 8 silly soccer games a year because the Mayor likes soccer. I played college soccer. It's fun to play, but sucks to watch.

A lot of political maneuverings....the refinancing of the stadium is draining the city, and other funding right now. Getting soccer in there will allow refinancing of bonds, private $, and a much bigger short term financial impact.
    Portland will keep the Beavers, several other options have surfaced in the last 10 days.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Turn Off Ads?