Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Great TV shows that hung on too long

Re: Great TV shows that hung on too long

Shows with families as the central cast always seem to go too long. They'll try to introduce a new character (cousin Oliver) or do something completely wacky (Roseanne wins the lottery).

I'd say these all went way too long:

The Brady Bunch
    The Cosby Show
    Roseanne
    Family Ties
    The Waltons
    Little House on the Prairie

And as much as I love Spongebob Squarepants, I think he's getting close to the point of oversaturation and redundant episodes.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Grey's is certainly getting there if it hasn't already. Last season was brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    I would have said that, but this past season was really good. I think the last couple years on NBC not knowing if they would get canceled or have to change stations weighed them down a bit. With Braff and the director leaving, they really put a lot into the season.
    Agreed. IMO, Season 8 made up for the lackluster 6 and 7.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Agreed. IMO, Season 8 made up for the lackluster 6 and 7.
    I actually thought Season 8 was pretty poor, with the exception of the last few episodes. One thing telling was that ABC showed it back to back, and my wife and I would inevitably say, "Well that was good for about one show between the two of them."

One other thing on Scrubs, if they do come back, especially without JD, I'd like to see an entire episode of nothing other than Dr. Cox insulting someone. Not as a clip show, I want 22 minutes(only interrupted by commercial) of continuous insult. I think they could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I can't believe no one has mentioned Friends.
    Friends hit a rough patch a couple of years before it ended. I always thought the last two season, when there was constant speculation if this was the last episode, were pretty damn good.

I want to say Mad About You. I hated the way it ended with them divorced (I think) and Janeane Garofalo as their kid.

But I really loved that show.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    This is what I didn't care for. The show hit us over the head with "War is Hell" instead of being, you know, funny and stuff.

The sharp dialogue and wit that highlighted the show largely left around the time Larry Gelbart did.
    Agreed. I thought every replacement - Henry Morgan, Mike Farrell, David Ogden Stiers - was a step down. Yes, Frank was cutout, but that's generally the idea with comedy.

There's nothing wrong about a comedy being about something, like war being hell, just don't forget to be funny. MASH forgot.
    Last edited by Rojo; 07-16-2009 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark T View Post
    Scrubs. It had a few good years, and Sara Chalke is a natural comedienne of the Lucille Ball variety, but c'mon. Enough already.

One episode was too long for me. One thing I can't stand is "cute". Cute isn't funny. All great comedy is based on loathing.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    The Simpsons gave us 8 amazing seasons (2-9), three mediocre seasons(1, 10-11), and then a dozen good episodes spread out over the following 9 years.
    That sounds about right -- I was going to say it started to go south in the late 90's.

Part of the problem was that it hired a generation of writers who grew up with the show. They were trying to write good Simpson's episodes instead of using the show to flail everything ridiculous in our times. Watch "Trash of the Titans" from 98 to see how its done.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    That sounds about right -- I was going to say it started to go south in the late 90's.

Part of the problem was that it hired a generation of writers who grew up with the show. They were trying to write good Simpson's episodes instead of using the show to flail everything ridiculous in our times. Watch "Trash of the Titans" from 98 to see how its done.
    Yes. That episode is a fantastic example of how The Simpsons used to be able to sustain a single, strong narrative over an entire episode without losing the craziness. Conversely, "Lard of the Dance" http://www.snpp.com/episodes/5F20 from the following season was a great illustration of how The Simpsons used to be able to take two seemingly disjointed narratives and weave them together. Most of the recent episodes are like three mini-episodes glued together.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    That's because it wasn't that good to begin with.
    * high five *
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 07-16-2009 at 05:39 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

While in junior high, I loved Get Smart, but the show ran too long. By the time Maxwell Smart and Agent 99 got married in the last season, the gags had all run out. Still, it remains one of my all-time favorite shows.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    While in junior high, I loved Get Smart, but the show ran too long. By the time Maxwell Smart and Agent 99 got married in the last season, the gags had all run out. Still, it remains one of my all-time favorite shows.
    I'm watching through the series right now, and you are absolutely right. By that time, the shoe phone and cone of silence were becoming very old hat.
    It seems the producers knew that about that time, as well - shortly before the marriage, they threw in a bunch of guest stars (Bob Hope, Carol Burnett, Ernest Borgnine) - which for the most part, fell flat (though Carol's was rather good).

Wonderful thread.

"Good Times" after James died would be one I'd say that hasn't been mentioned.

Also, a basic category of jumping the shark is when a love interest and the protagonist finally "hook-up." Once the sexual tension is gone, the shark, she has been a-jumped. A few examples:

Ross/Rachel: Friends
    Sam/Diane: Cheers
    Tony/Angela: Who's the Boss
    Bruce Willis and Cybil Sheppard from Moonlighting
    Kevin Arnold/Winnie Cooper - Wonder Years
    David/Darlene - Rosanne

Wow, I can't believe how many of these I am remembering. Man I used to watch too much TV.
    Last edited by Fon Duc Tow; 07-16-2009 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fon Duc Tow View Post
    Wonderful thread.

"Good Times" after James died would be one I'd say that hasn't been mentioned.

Also, a basic category of jumping the shark is when a love interest and the protagonist finally "hook-up." Once the sexual tension is gone, the shark, she has been a-jumped. A few examples:

Ross/Rachel: Friends
    Sam/Diane: Cheers
    Tony/Angela: Who's the Boss
    Bruce Willis and Cybil Sheppard from Moonlighting
    Kevin Arnold/Winnie Cooper - Wonder Years
    David/Darlene - Rosanne

Wow, I can't believe how many of these I am remembering. Man I used to watch too much TV.

I believe Ed suffered from this

Turn Off Ads?