Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 82

Thread: Great TV shows that hung on too long

  1. #61
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,608

    Re: Great TV shows that hung on too long

    Quote Originally Posted by Fon Duc Tow View Post
    Wonderful thread.

    "Good Times" after James died would be one I'd say that hasn't been mentioned.

    Also, a basic category of jumping the shark is when a love interest and the protagonist finally "hook-up." Once the sexual tension is gone, the shark, she has been a-jumped. A few examples:

    Ross/Rachel: Friends
    Sam/Diane: Cheers
    Tony/Angela: Who's the Boss
    Bruce Willis and Cybil Sheppard from Moonlighting
    Kevin Arnold/Winnie Cooper - Wonder Years
    David/Darlene - Rosanne

    Wow, I can't believe how many of these I am remembering. Man I used to watch too much TV.
    Throw in Northern Exposure as well.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,197

    Re: Great TV shows that hung on too long

    I always liked MASH but it went on several years too long and it seemed they never knew how to deal with the chronology. Potter came after Blake left/died yet there were episodes where Blake was there in 1952 and Potter was there in 1951??And for a 3 year war you were supposed to ignore the fact that Alda aged 20 years?

  4. #63
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Great TV shows that hung on too long

    Anyone said Seinfeld?

  5. #64
    15 game winner Danny Serafini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sultanes de Monterrey
    Posts
    4,183

    Re: Great TV shows that hung on too long

    Roseanne set the gold standard for how not to run a final season. Yikes.

    You can tell when Gilligan's Island and The Beverly Hillbillies both fell apart, it's like as soon as the series went to color they became garbage. Weird timing with that. I mean really, how many things can you make out of coconuts?

  6. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,173

    Re: Great TV shows that hung on too long

    Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    I always liked MASH but it went on several years too long and it seemed they never knew how to deal with the chronology. Potter came after Blake left/died yet there were episodes where Blake was there in 1952 and Potter was there in 1951??And for a 3 year war you were supposed to ignore the fact that Alda aged 20 years?
    Harry Morgan played another role before he came in as Col. Potter, is that what you were talking of?

  7. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,197

    Re: Great TV shows that hung on too long

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Harry Morgan played another role before he came in as Col. Potter, is that what you were talking of?
    No...having seen every episode of that series numerous times over the years I just remember episodes where they would specifically say what year it was and one minute with Blake it would be 1952 then 2 or 3 seasons later with Potter it would be 1951.

  8. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    160

    Re: Great TV shows that hung on too long

    Despite being a big fan, I think The Office is overstaying its welcome.

  9. #68
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,638

    Re: Great TV shows that hung on too long

    Quote Originally Posted by MilotheMayor View Post
    Despite being a big fan, I think The Office is overstaying its welcome.
    It's been on a steady downhill since Season 4 started, IMO.

    Granted, S1-S3 were about as high as a TV series gets, so even factoring in the slippage, it's still an amazing show.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  10. #69
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,210

    Re: Great TV shows that hung on too long

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Roseanne set the gold standard for how not to run a final season. Yikes.

    You can tell when Gilligan's Island and The Beverly Hillbillies both fell apart, it's like as soon as the series went to color they became garbage. Weird timing with that. I mean really, how many things can you make out of coconuts?
    Gilligan was only on three seasons before it was cancelled. I think it probably ended about the right time. You are right you can only make so many coconut pies.
    Beverly Hillbillies did go on way too long. Probably three seasons too long.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  11. #70
    15 game winner Danny Serafini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sultanes de Monterrey
    Posts
    4,183

    Re: Great TV shows that hung on too long

    Giligan only lasted 3 years? Wow, sure seemed longer than that.

  12. #71
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,173

    Re: Great TV shows that hung on too long

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Giligan only lasted 3 years? Wow, sure seemed longer than that.
    Especially if you were on the island.

  13. #72
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,210

    Re: Great TV shows that hung on too long

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Giligan only lasted 3 years? Wow, sure seemed longer than that.
    I looked it up to be sure. It was three seasons and 99 episodes. The pilot to the series was actually first shown in 1962 but the series didn't start until 1964.

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057751/
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  14. #73
    Stat geek...and proud
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New Paris, OH
    Posts
    2,563

    Re: Great TV shows that hung on too long

    Quote Originally Posted by Fon Duc Tow View Post
    Wonderful thread.

    "Good Times" after James died would be one I'd say that hasn't been mentioned.

    Also, a basic category of jumping the shark is when a love interest and the protagonist finally "hook-up." Once the sexual tension is gone, the shark, she has been a-jumped. A few examples:

    Ross/Rachel: Friends
    Sam/Diane: Cheers
    Tony/Angela: Who's the Boss
    Bruce Willis and Cybil Sheppard from Moonlighting
    Kevin Arnold/Winnie Cooper - Wonder Years
    David/Darlene - Rosanne

    Wow, I can't believe how many of these I am remembering. Man I used to watch too much TV.
    Cheers never jumped.

  15. #74
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    east of WOY
    Posts
    5,045

    Re: Great TV shows that hung on too long

    I'm not sure if this really fits the category, but just about all of the major networks' local and national news broadcasts in the evenings. The way the news cycle is these days, there is no new news in the evening news. The cable news channels are breaking everything throughout the day that by the time you come home and turn on the TV for the evening news, it's stuff you already heard a couple hours earlier. The local news is mostly fluff pieces, maybe someone died or there was a shooting somewhere, and the sports and weather. Aside from the fluff pieces, there are so many sources for the other information that we don't rely on getting in from the TV in that early evening time slot anymore. Just seems like a dinosaur to me.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

    Cincinnati's premiere expedited trucking company

  16. #75
    Big Red Machine RedsBaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Out Wayne
    Posts
    22,795

    Re: Great TV shows that hung on too long

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Especially if you were on the island.
    Three years on the island with Ginger and Mary Ann could have been fun.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25