Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How good can Joey Votto be?

How good can Joey Votto be?

The general impressions of Bruce & Votto have been as follows:

Votto is older. Spent more time in the minors. More polished. Better than Bruce now but with a lower ceiling. Will be a nice major league player.

Bruce is the man child. Raw but the sky is the limit. HOF potential.

Watching Votto the last couple months of 2008 I was impressed.
    He seemed to improve as the year went on.
    Watching him in the WBC, spring training & so far this year I am very impressed. Awesome power to the opposite field. Very patient. Calm at the plate. Much improved in the field.

Are we underestimating Votto's potential?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How good can Joey Votto be?

If he's lucky? Half as good as Jim Coombs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

High five!

His ceiling is "really good" and I think his basement is "pretty good."

That's how good!

I could see a Jeff Bagwell-type career. Maybe not as good as Bags was at his absolute peak, but close.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Are we underestimating Votto's potential?
    Yes.

Votto will likely get over looked this season because of Berkman and Pujols at 1b. But I have a feeling he will put up very good numbers. He has good plate presence, good opposite field power, and a decent speed. He has the potential to become a top 2-3 1b in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    If he's lucky? Half as good as Jim Coombs.
    What's the Canadian exchange rate right now? He might be worth 1.25 Coombseses.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I could see a Jeff Bagwell-type career. Maybe not as good as Bags was at his absolute peak, but close.
    Not to single you out, but stuff like this is why some very good players end up getting crapped on by fans if they don't approach that level.

Before a guy named Pujols came along, Jeff Bagwell was the greatest first baseman in National League history. Greater than Mize. Greater than McCovey. Greater than Allen. Heck, Bagwell's arguably the 4th or 5th greatest first basemen all-time in the history of game.

Joey Votto's an outstanding looking young hitter, but let's not get carried away here ...
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Some guys peak a bit later than others.
    While they may have come up a bit earlier in their careers than Joey (some by only one year), the likes of Perez, Foster, Griffey and Dressein had the better parts of their careers after hitting 25.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Not to single you out, but stuff like this is why some very good players end up getting crapped on by fans if they don't approach that level.

Before a guy named Pujols came along, Jeff Bagwell was the greatest first baseman in National League history. Greater than Mize. Greater than McCovey. Greater than Allen. Heck, Bagwell's arguably the 4th or 5th greatest first basemen all-time in the history of game.

Joey Votto's an outstanding looking young hitter, but let's not get carried away here ...
    Agree with Cyclone here. Too many high expectations early on result in disappointment later. And, therefore, ragging on the guy. I think this happened to a certain left fielder the Reds used to have.

I think Votto can be a very good-excellent player. I'm hopeing for Tony Perez like production. If he reaches that, it will be more than the Reds were expecting when they drafted him and they, as well as Reds fans, will be thrilled to have him.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post

I understand what you're saying about the getting carried away, but I didn't say he was going to be Jeff Bagwell. I guess it was a poor analogy on my part. I knew what I was trying to say, did a poor job in communicating it. To rephrase it, I think he'll be one of the better 1B in the NL over the duration of his career. How about Will Clark, with a little more power, but not as good of an OBP (Clark's career OBP is .384. Yikes)

And after looking at Bagwell's career stats, I got WAY carried away. I guess I'm too young to remember Bags at his VERY, VERY best.

Joey Votto, I'll take Mcgriff, but I won't saddle him with loftier expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Joey Votto, I'll take Mcgriff, but I won't saddle him with loftier expectations.
    Really? I was starting to think Lou Gehrig....

With the work ethic that he brings, if he stays healthy, he may surprise a lot of folks.

Votto is not as naturally gifted as some, but he outworks them, and he has a great head for hitting. Keith Hernandez with power.

Since He Who Shall Not Be Named has left the team Joey Votto is my favorite Red.

Take THAT David Weathers!

Turn Off Ads?