Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should Micah Owings get some starts in the OF?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, unleash the Owings

31 47.69%
  • No, it will invite the mockery of sports columnists

34 52.31%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Micah Owings get a few starts in the OF?

Should Micah Owings get a few starts in the OF?

Simple question here. With Bruce out and Dickerson nursing a bad back, would you give Micah Owings a few starts in RF?
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Should Micah Owings get a few starts in the OF?

Is he going to be better than Johnny Gomes? Offensively he's like Gomes without the walks. I wouldn't want him to risk hurting himself so long as he's putting the up the solid #5 starter numbers on the mound.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

We are the closest to seeing him that we have ever been. These injuries may do it.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Is he going to be better than Johnny Gomes? Offensively he's like Gomes without the walks. I wouldn't want him to risk hurting himself so long as he's putting the up the solid #5 starter numbers on the mound.
    I think if he played more and got more AB's, he'd start walking. Dude gets maybe 4 PA's a week at this point. Hack-a-matic.

He's probably the third best offensive player on the team, after Votto and Phillips. Get him some PA's.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Hell yeah. Unleash the fury.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I think if he played more and got more AB's, he'd start walking. Dude gets maybe 4 PA's a week at this point. Hack-a-matic.

He's probably the third best offensive player on the team, after Votto and Phillips. Get him some PA's.
    If he got more PA's, pitchers would also find his weaknesses and begin to exploit them with greater regularity. It goes both ways. I have no problem using him as our primary RH pinch hitter. But running around the OF is an invitation for an injury.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Not worth the injury. I also agree with RedManRick.. as soon as he becomes a starting OF, there will be scouting reports on him (which will be remembered when he PH).
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I really don't think he is anymore than a really good hitting pitcher. If he was to get regular ABs he'd beat Wily Mo Pena minus.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Cool thread idea though.. Got to have something interesting to talk about.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

If Chip's boy-toy the latin love machine Javy Valentin can play 3B @ Yankee Stadium (what a stage for a debut, right?), then why the heck not trot Micah Owings out to play some OF.

Maybe we should have Janish begin a regular throwing regimen to get more work in the bullpen too, since clearly at this stage of the season I'm ready for anything.

... and, while we're at it, why don't we give Brandon Phillips some starts @ SS

But not when Janish is on the mound.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

M2, shame on you for no public poll

If Nix, Gomes and Hairston are all injured, and it's a choice between Owings and Janish in left field, then maybe. Otherwise, absolutely not.

Playing the field is where most injuries occur. And he really wouldn't be able to make any throws to the infield, so as to not risk his pitching arm. One bad throw and you could lose him for the season on the mound. Just not worth the slight improvement you get in terms of OPS, if you get any at all.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Here's my thing on the injury potential, so what? You can get injured stepping into the shower. Think of how cool it would be if he started a few games a week in the field and took his regular turn in the rotation. It's a game. Have some fun with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    M2, shame on you for no public poll
    Sorry, I just used the default settings when the poll came up. Honestly gave it no thought.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

On the other hand, he can't be any worse than Taveras.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Turn Off Ads?