These next 9 games is make or break time... with the Cards and Brewers having somewhat easy schedules the next 10 games we need to play good ball. If not and we sink back to 8 or 9 game behind 1st place people will get traded. Walt is saying he looking for a bat, but we all know there really isn't a solid bat out there who is on the trading block and we can afford. Good news is Magglio Ordonez is expected to be released when Carlos Guillen comes off the DL, HOWEVER I doubt we are still in the race by then.
Prediction: The Reds go 3-6 in the next 9 games and fall to 7-8 games behind 1st place. The next 9 games takes us to a week before the deadline when things will start to happen.
SP Aaron Harang: Phillies, Yankees, Rangers, Mets, and Dodgers
SP Bronson Arroyo: Mets, Tigers, and Angels
RP Arthur Rhodes: Tigers, Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, Rockies, and Dodgers
RP David Weathers: Same as Rhodes
C Ramon Hernandez: Mets, Angels, and Rockies
OF Johnny Gomes: Mets, Giants, Braves and Cardinals
OF Laynce Nix: Same as Gomes
Best Case Scenario:
1. Phillies fall out of contention for Roy Halladay and are willing to part with a package centering around Michael Taylor for Harang.
2. Mets need for another starter becomes too much, we pick up half of Arroyo's contract and pick up a major league ready SS or CF.
3. Rhodes gets picked up by the Dodgers to help out their bullpen and in doing so we grab a major league ready SS or CF which ever one we didn't get from the Mets.
4. Rockies need for bullpen help is obvious so they get a veteran in Weathers and we pick up their young catcher in the minors. (cant remember his name on baseball america top 10 in rockies org.)
5. Ramon may be unmovable because alot of teams dont need catchers, but Angels could be interested for 2 mid-level prospects.
6. Package Gomes with Arroyo to the Mets for another player in the deal.
7. Send Nix to the Braves for 2 PTBNL.