Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who has lately caught your attention?

Who has lately caught your attention?

I'm not talking about high draft choices (Billy Hamilton, Tyler Cline, etc.) or guys you knew about last year (Junior Arias, Byron Wiley, Yorman Rodriguez, Miguel Rojas, etc.) or players who began to distinguish themselves earlier in the season (Kevin Coddington, Logan Ondrusek, Matt Fairel, etc.). I'm asking who you've just begun to notice since, say, the rookie leagues started up (although I wouldn't confine the list to newcomers).

Here's my Top 20:

Yimmi Lopez, DSL -- a 16-year-old catcher who has an OBP over .400 (yes, yes, small sample).

Carlos Sanchez, DSL -- 18-year-old 1B whose four homers equal the rest of the team's.

Luis Machuca, DSL -- At 21, he's old for the league. But he's 6-1 (with a WHIP under 1.00) for a team that's not so hot.

Starlin Gerson, DSL -- Almost 21, and almost as impressive as Machuca. And 6-foot-4.

Carlos Tineo, DSL -- He's only here so I can mention his 15 BB in 6.1 IP. Holy smokes.

Henry Rodriguez, GCL -- 19, switch-hitter, infielder, looking good.

Theodis Bowe, GCL -- 18, small, presumably speedy OF. Sounds like a ballplayer.

Nathan Driessen, GCL -- Just-turned-18 LHP from Australia, doing very well. Throws from Down Under. Not sure about his arm slot, though.

Harold Johnson, GCL -- 18-year-old RHP more than holding his own in limited time. 6-foot-4.

Jesus Adames, GCL -- Ibid.

Mariekson Gregorius, Billings -- 19, SS, bats left, .885 OPS for starters. Got to think that a teenager from the Netherlands, who can do all that, has some serious upside.

Alexis Oliveras, Billings -- OF, 20, doing nicely at the top of the order.

Mauricio Pimental, Billings -- Skinny, switch-hitting IF who's not doing a thing. Don't know why I'm intrigued. Just a hunch, I guess.

Daniel Corcino, Billings -- 18-year-old RHP with 12 K in 9.1 IP.

Ezequiel Infante, Dayton -- 20-year-old lefty made short work of Billings.

Josh Fellhauer, Dayton -- Recent draftee has the CF thing going on.

Curtis Partch, Dayton -- RHP, suddenly dominant.

Mark Pawelek, Sarasota -- LHP, former top pick of Cubs, reclamation project at 22. Doing just fine so far.

Lee Tabor, Carolina -- Lefty moved to rotation out of necessity, and Eureka!

Matt Klinker, Carolina -- Probably too veteran to be included, but seems to have recently found something that hitters can't hit. And he's tall, which everybody seems to think is good.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who has lately caught your attention?

Klinker has a solid 15 BB/71 K ratio in 67.1 innings, including 7 BB/29 in 25 innings with Double-A Carolina. IIRC, he posts over on Redleg Nation sometimes, so it's nice to see him doing well.

Starlin Gerson looks intriging. 6'4", 175 pounds. 2.81 ERA and 16 BB/42 K in 41.2 innings. I'd like to see him in the GCL next season.

The two that have really caught my eye are LHP Ezequiel Infante and RHP Daniel Corcino. Infante is a diminutive 20-year old lefty (5'10, 152) with a 2.70 ERA and 3 BB/13 K in 13.1 innings. Last season he posted an eye popping 0.19 ERA in 47 innings in the DSL. Daniel Corcino's ERA isn't very impressive at 5.25 in 12 innings, but he's only 18 years old and has 14 strikeouts in those 12 innings, including 12 in 9.1 innings with Billings. He's had three outings where he just dominated hitters but he's also had a couple outings where he got beat around a bit. I'll be keeping an eye on him in the future.

Props in general to the rejuvenated international department:

Yorman (VZ)
    Gregorius (Neth Antilles)
    Junior Arias and Gerson (DR)
    Kuo (Taiwan)
    Driessen (Australia)

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Props in general to the rejuvenated international department:

Yorman (VZ)
    Gregorius (Neth Antilles)
    Junior Arias and Gerson (DR)
    Kuo (Taiwan)
    Driessen (Australia)
    Lollipop -- Where did you see that Gregorious was from the Netherlands Antilles? The bio on the Billings web page says he's a native of Amsterdam. Antilles would make more sense, of course. But I thought I also saw somewhere that he was signed by the guy who signs all their Europeans.

Lollipop -- Where did you see that Gregorious was from the Netherlands Antilles? The bio on the Billings web page says he's a native of Amsterdam. Antilles would make more sense, of course. But I thought I also saw somewhere that he was signed by the guy who signs all their Europeans.
    When he was signed, it was widely reported he was out of Curacao. Could have been born in Amsterdam and moved later. My guess is he grew up in the Caribbean, playing year round.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    When he was signed, it was widely reported he was out of Curacao. Could have been born in Amsterdam and moved later. My guess is he grew up in the Caribbean, playing year round.
    You're right.

http://www.flixster.com/user/straightupafro

I'm wondering if Andrew Bowman isn't finally starting to come around. He's old for his league, 23, at Dayton, but was very highly regarded at the time of his drafting, 5th round. On the year he's 5.06 ERA/48 innings/ 43 hits/2 HRs/26 W's/53 K's. 1.34 GO to AO, .238 BA against. Hits to innings, home run figure, ground outs, K's to innings all look pretty good.
    Last ten games he's 4.09/ 22 innings / 15 hits/ 10 ER's /12 W's/ 24 K's. If you back out one really disastrous 2/3 of an inning, though, he's 21.3/ 3 ER's. Looks to me like there's real progress here and some solid fundamentals in the categories I listed above.

I was close to listing Bowman. Until recently, I used to cringe every time I saw him entering a game. He seemed to blow up on a nightly basis. But lately, it's been very different. I also seem to recall redsof72 saying that he (Bowman, not redsof72) has quite a bit of velocity. Plus, he's another tall guy. And left-handed.

Harold Johnson, this year's 11th-round draft choice, took another step today with four 1-hit innings.

Anybody know anything specific about Bowman's velocity, stuff?

A lot of guys are standing out recently just because they are new. But I read on another forum that a poster went and seen the GCL Reds for a short time and was impressed with Yovan Gonzalez (catcher) from a defensive standpoint (citing his arm and athleticism IIRC). Don't know the guy but the way he talked seemed to have at least some general idea of what a good defensive catcher should look like. I thought I'd toss that out there because his bat sure isn't garnering him any attention just yet.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Define, "lately".

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Define, "lately".
    I'm asking who you've just begun to notice since, say, the rookie leagues started up (although I wouldn't confine the list to newcomers).

Gregorius really doesn't excite me.he didn't start doing well until he was demoted from Sarasota. Henry Rodriguez looks nice.

I just saw Mace Thurman stats. Guy must throw fire judging by his K total. Had some trouble with wildness last year, but this year he seems to have overcome it. Lefty too. Does he count?

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Gregorius really doesn't excite me.he didn't start doing well until he was demoted from Sarasota. Henry Rodriguez looks nice.

I just saw Mace Thurman stats. Guy must throw fire judging by his K total. Had some trouble with wildness last year, but this year he seems to have overcome it. Lefty too. Does he count?
    I didn't include Thurman because he's somebody I liked last year, but there are no hard and fast rules here. It's good to get his name in the mix, seeing as how his last two seasons have been pretty impeccable. He had another 2.1 scoreless tonight. The guy's a machine. Does anybody know what he throws?

I believe that Gregorious was just sent to Sarasota to fill in for a bit. He was there anyway, for extended spring training, and they needed a SS. He's 19 and didn't have near the experience to be placed in the FSL under normal circumstances. Billings appears to be the right level for him, and I certainly wouldn't begrudge the success he's having there.

Turn Off Ads?