Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who has lately caught your attention?

Re: Who has lately caught your attention?

Gregorius did well at high A for a 19 year old who had played only in the GCL (3 levels lower). Now he's hitting .423 in Billings. Not saying he's a top prospect, because he does not appear to have power, but he is clearly demonstrating advanced hitting skills for a 19 year old. The fact that he's also a SS makes him interesting -- the question is, how's the defense?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Gregorius did well at high A for a 19 year old who had played only in the GCL (3 levels lower). Now he's hitting .423 in Billings. Not saying he's a top prospect, because he does not appear to have power, but he is clearly demonstrating advanced hitting skills for a 19 year old. The fact that he's also a SS makes him interesting -- the question is, how's the defense?
    The Billings announcer last night called him Dee Dee, although he didn't spell it for me.

The Billings announcer last night called him Dee Dee, although he didn't spell it for me.
    Did he say anything else interesting about the kid?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Did he say anything else interesting about the kid?
    Not that I heard. I just discovered the broadcast in the 10th inning. But the announcer is not a dull fellow, and I'll surely tune in again at some point.

It was my first experience with minor-league radio, and I'm sure others here can cite chapter and verse, but I was startled by how easy it was. Looking at the line score on minorleaguebaseball.com, I happened to notice a little audio icon, clicked on it, and presto.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Not that I heard. I just discovered the broadcast in the 10th inning. But the announcer is not a dull fellow, and I'll surely tune in again at some point.

It was my first experience with minor-league radio, and I'm sure others here can cite chapter and verse, but I was startled by how easy it was. Looking at the line score on minorleaguebaseball.com, I happened to notice a little audio icon, clicked on it, and presto.
    I've started checking while I'm at work in the afternoons to see if there are day games on. Since I'm in the office alone all but two days a week, it's nice background while I work.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Speaking of Gregorius...

In The Dugout - Mariekson "D.D." Gregorius
    Steve Cusumano | Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 8:40

This probably isn't too surprising, but when covering the Mustangs we will occasionally run into a language barrier. A number of the Mustangs speak little English, and I know I don't trust my high school Spanish for...well, for anything. However, it's safe to say D.D. Gregorius hasn't run into problems like that too often.

Born in Amsterdam, Netherlands before moving to Curaçao, Mariekson "D.D." Gregorius in fact speaks four languages, and he's currently learning Taiwanese so he can talk with teammate Yen-Wen Kuo.

But for all his linguistic prowess, it's been Gregorius' bat that is doing the talking this season: he's hitting .379 in 16 games with the Mustangs this season, and opened his time in Billings with a 13-game hitting streak.

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/ba...cc4c002e0.html

There's a video on Gregorius inside that link.

Josh Fellhauer
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Mesoraco. He's two years out of high school ball and he's making progress in a tough high A league.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Speaking of Gregorius...

In The Dugout - Mariekson "D.D." Gregorius
    Steve Cusumano | Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 8:40

This probably isn't too surprising, but when covering the Mustangs we will occasionally run into a language barrier. A number of the Mustangs speak little English, and I know I don't trust my high school Spanish for...well, for anything. However, it's safe to say D.D. Gregorius hasn't run into problems like that too often.

Born in Amsterdam, Netherlands before moving to Curaçao, Mariekson "D.D." Gregorius in fact speaks four languages, and he's currently learning Taiwanese so he can talk with teammate Yen-Wen Kuo.
    But for all his linguistic prowess, it's been Gregorius' bat that is doing the talking this season: he's hitting .379 in 16 games with the Mustangs this season, and opened his time in Billings with a 13-game hitting streak.

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/ba...cc4c002e0.html
    Gregorius seems rather gregarious...
    But seriously, he seems like an impressive kid and pretty interesting prospect at ss. Ill definitely be rooting for him

Bowman's fastball is 92-95 and he has a big league breaking ball. He will look like a big leaguer for an inning and then give up three runs in the next inning due to inconsistent mechanics.

Probably does not fit the criteria but the guy that is the talk of the organization this year as far as going from the verge of being released out of A-ball to likely going on the 40-man is Logan Ondrusek.

How about someone starting a thread about who will go on the 40-man before the Rule V Draft? I am going to guess that the list will look like this: Heisey, Stubbs, Wood, Francisco, Ondrusek, Valiquette, Valaika, and Jordan Smith. That's a large first year class.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    How about someone starting a thread about who will go on the 40-man before the Rule V Draft? I am going to guess that the list will look like this: Heisey, Stubbs, Wood, Francisco, Ondrusek, Valiquette, Valaika, and Jordan Smith. That's a large first year class.
    Thats an awfully lot of movement that is going to have to be made this offseason.

Francisco's already on the 40-man. But yeah, there will be a lot of hard decisions. As difficult as determining who goes on the roster is who comes off. Aside from trades and contracts expiring, decisions will have to be made on guys like Thompson, Bray, Ramirez, Manuel, Castillo, Tatum, Janish, Richar, Rosales and even somebody like Nix.

I'm assuming a player like Jukich doesn't have to be protected, does he? He has played in parts of three seasons, but started in midseason 07. That gives him another year, right?

Good idea for a thread.

Francisco's already on the 40-man. But yeah, there will be a lot of hard decisions. As difficult as determining who goes on the roster is who comes off. Aside from trades and contracts expiring, decisions will have to be made on guys like Thompson, Bray, Ramirez, Manuel, Castillo, Tatum, Janish, Richar, Rosales and even somebody like Nix.

I'm assuming a player like Jukich doesn't have to be protected, does he? He has played in parts of three seasons, but started in midseason 07. That gives him another year, right?

Good idea for a thread.
    I'd like to keep Manuel Janish and Rosales fromt hat list. I would lose sleep over any of the others but I'd like to have one of Thompson or Ramirez, and one of Castillo/Tatum (assuming no catching move is made in the offseason).

My mistake on Francisco. Yes, he is on. Jukich will have to protected. He would be considered. Viola also could be. Yes, that is a lot of players. But this is the strongest class they have had in many years.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post

Good idea for a thread.
    Out of the players you named, I'd keep Bray and Thompson depending on their health status.

The Reds need to make a decision on Janish/Rosales/Sutton/Valaika/Richar. I can only imagine two (maybe three) of the those guys sticking with the big club. The other two can be exposed as far as I'm concerned, as they are fairly redundant.

I'd think that Janish is probably the best fielder and weakest offensively, and I'd think that Rosales is probably the best hitter and weakest defensively. Regardless, there's no reason to have all five of them taking up spots on the 40 man.

Similarly, a decision on LeCure/J.Smith/Jukich/Ramirez should be made. No need to keep all four- I'd say two are sufficient.

Depending on whether Gomes is brought back, I might replace Nix with Dorn as a LH bat off the bench. (I don't think you can have absolute butcher OFs on the roster. Dorn might be the less-experienced, lefty version of Gomes.)

I can't imagine someone would think Valiquette is ready for the majors. While he's looked good, he has logged <25 IP above A ball.

I also hope that Stubbs is traded before the Rule V Draft. And if someone wants to pluck Wilkin Castillo or Craig Tatum away, bon voyage!

IN SUMMARY, ON THE 40 MAN I'D HAVE

Chris Heisey
    Travis Wood
    Drew Stubbs (if he's not traded)
    Logan Ondrusek OR Robert Manuel (no need for both)
    Danny Dorn OR Laynce Nix (no need for both- depends on whether you bring back Gomes)
    Two of Viola/Bray/Thompson (depends on the latter two's health)
    Two of Jukich/LeCure/Smith/Ramirez
    Three of Janish/Rosales/Sutton/Valaika/Richar
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-28-2009 at 05:58 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?