Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who has lately caught your attention?

Re: Who has lately caught your attention?

Valiquette is much more highly regarded as a prospect than many would think. A 22 year old lefty who throws 95 and is having success. In a recent conversation, I asked a pitching coach in the Reds organization for his top three prospects and he had Valiquette in there.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Valiquette is much more highly regarded as a prospect than many would think. A 22 year old lefty who throws 95 and is having success. In a recent conversation, I asked a pitching coach in the Reds organization for his top three prospects and he had Valiquette in there.
    I believe it. But I'm still skeptical as to whether or not another team really believes he could stick on a major league roster right now.

But for Rule V protection purposes, I'd have to think a team would have more confidence in a guy like Viola sticking right now than Valiquette, if for no other reason than Viola has thrown 140 innings above A ball (including 40 in AAA) whereas Valiquette has only 23 innings in AA to his name. Wouldn't you agree?
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-28-2009 at 07:52 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Personally, I'd never have a reliever in the Top 5. I dont think many here saw Stewart as Top 5, definitely not Top 3, until he became a SP.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Personally, I'd never have a reliever in the Top 5. I dont think many here saw Stewart as Top 5, definitely not Top 3, until he became a SP.
    I'd assume he meant pitching prospects being that he asked a pitching coach. I'm obviously not sure, but I also think said coach may be a little colored if he happened to coach Valiquette and hasn't seen some of the other guys (Stewart, Sulbaran, Fairel, Viola, whoever)
    Go BLUE!!!

Lets see. As far as openings go, you'd have Hernandez, Gonzalez, Weathers and Hairston go as free agenst and Nix, Richar and probably Thompson would be unlikely to be claimed if DFA. With Castillo coming off the 60 Day DL, that would leave the team with 6 openings. Gomes is a wildcard at this point.

IMO, its another reason why the Reds should have made a couple of packages of two or three of these guys sooner for a solid vet or two. The team is likely to lose some guys anyway. Its possible that the Reds include some in the salary dumps to lessen the amount of money to be eaten. For example, I'd imagine dealing Willy would be hard, but stick a middling arm like Valiquette or Manuel with him and you may be able to avoid eating any cash and it would open some space.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Shane Carlson has been batting very well since he was drafted. The good thing about it? Its in High A, in the FSL, no less
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Mine isnt in the Reds Farm System but I wish the Reds could figure out someway to get this guy. Starling Marte (RF/CF WV Power) has absolute blazing speed, the little bits Ive gotten to see him is that he reads the ball off the bat very very almost freakishly well. Hitting I think .317 with 1 HR right now, sorry I cant provide more stats but I'm usually working when the games are going on. Only 20 yrs old so the power could come.

I don't believe he will be the power bat that he gets hyped to be but he should be maybe Todd Walker (15-20) like where he has enough power for you to respect him. The few times I have gotten to see him he seems to have a very smooth short swing. Feel free to tell me I am a moron if Im crazy. Anything (almost) that stays in the park is in Marte's range in CF, the radio guy for the Power said he's playing RF a bit due to a very strong arm but if he has a future its going to be CF IMO.

Again feel free to call me an idiot if I know nothing .
    Last edited by Slyder; 07-28-2009 at 11:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Lets see. As far as openings go, you'd have Hernandez, Gonzalez, Weathers and Hairston go as free agenst and Nix, Richar and probably Thompson would be unlikely to be claimed if DFA. With Castillo coming off the 60 Day DL, that would leave the team with 6 openings. Gomes is a wildcard at this point.

IMO, its another reason why the Reds should have made a couple of packages of two or three of these guys sooner for a solid vet or two. The team is likely to lose some guys anyway. Its possible that the Reds include some in the salary dumps to lessen the amount of money to be eaten. For example, I'd imagine dealing Willy would be hard, but stick a middling arm like Valiquette or Manuel with him and you may be able to avoid eating any cash and it would open some space.
    Middling results/control perhaps not a middling arm. Manuel I agree he's the epitome of middling.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post

Agree totally about the packages. I haven't weighed in on the trade threads (to me, it's peeing in the dark), but that's the main reason why I'm in favor of trading veterans. In the Reds' particular case, I don't see it as selling out or starting over. The fact is, none of their veterans--with the exception of Cordero and maybe the ancient set-up guys, although I think others can fill that role capably--are irreplaceable. Like most, I'd rather see Hanigan catching than Hernandez, Janish or Cozart (maybe even Valaika or Rosales) at short than Gonzo, Stubbs or Heisey or Dickerson or for that matter Josh Fellhauer or Yorman Rodriguez (OK, exaggeration there) in CF in place of Taveras. I think your best chances for 2010, and surely beyond, are to keep piling up good young players. And to get back to the point, that may even require moving some young players who aren't quite up to the level of the guys you'd get back in trade or the guys you want on the 40-man.

I agree about the packages too, and have been advocating this for a while.

I still wonder if they can't call up Seattle and give them their choice of Sutton/Valaika/Rosales/Richar in exchange for the recently DFA'd Wladimir Balentien. After all, they did just trade away the great Yuniesky Betancourt. Maybe add Janish or Francisco to the mix to see if you can't also pry away Jeff Clement (if it's not already too late.)

The only problem I see with the packaging scenario is what if no other teams have any interest in these guys? It's not like any of them are setting the world on fire. Sure you could maybe net a PTBNL or two, but is that even worth it?
    Go BLUE!!!

Agree very much in general about the packaging plans, but I have to say I doubt anybody's going to take WT's contract for a Valiquette or a Manuel (and I like Valiquette a lot!) I think we're simply stuck with WT as we have been with AG.

Perhaps this has been reported elsewhere, but the Reds traded Manuel to Seattle today.

Perhaps this has been reported elsewhere, but the Reds traded Manuel to Seattle today.
    Maybe they read this thread
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Maybe they read this thread
    Let's start suggesting as many ways of trading WT as possible.

Don't know if this is the place to post it, but I just looked at the Sarasota roster and noticed we have Zach Ward on it. Doug, or anybody else, when did we pick him up?

Turn Off Ads?