Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2009 British Open

Re: 2009 British Open

Cink par, Watson bogey. Both hit the fairway and found a greenside bunker on their second shot. Cink got up and down. Watson not so much. Moving to the second hole.
    Last edited by texasdave; 07-19-2009 at 02:10 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Hole two: Cink hits on and two putts for par. Watson hits a horrible tee shot that goes down an embankment. He has a blind second shot. Somehow Watson gets up and down for par. Remarkable par save by Watson.

Hole three is still being played but it is pretty much over. Cink on in two on the par five. Meanwhile, Watson's drive found the deep rough. He couldn't advance the ball much and was still in the rough. His third shot ran up well short of the green. His fourth shot is on but he is away. Cink will undoubtedly go to the last hole with a minimun of a two-stroke lead. A 3-stroke lead is probable.

Painful to watch Tom melt down. I'm trying to convince myself that him just walking to 18 with the lead and being in a playoff for a major at 59 is enough, but it's not the same. Sad thing is, he hit a great tee shot and a great approach shot on 18. It just rolled a little too far.

Major downer.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Hole three is still being played but it is pretty much over. Cink on in two on the par five. Meanwhile, Watson's drive found the deep rough. He couldn't advance the ball much and was still in the rough. His third shot ran up well short of the green. His fourth shot is on but he is away. Cink will undoubtedly go to the last hole with a minimun of a two-stroke lead. A 3-stroke lead is probable.
    What a collapse by Watson. The storylines have been there; however, the majors this year have been very poorly played and disappointing.

Cink getting it done.

But Tom Watson gets a great big old

Whale of a tournament, Tom.

Poor old Tom, all he needed to do was stay on the 18th green. So close!
    Aside from the 86 Masters, that's really the only time I have ever really rooted for a guy, shot for shot.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I'm still in a little disbelief. All he had to was get up and down from about 25 feet. He makes par from there probably 70% of the time. He was SO close.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I'm still in a little disbelief. All he had to was get up and down from about 25 feet. He makes par from there probably 70% of the time. He was SO close.
    Thought sure he'd cozy that third shot up to the hole on 18. He knocked the heck out of that second shot.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Too many decelerations of the putter today for Watson.

What should have been the winner on 18 in regulation, decel...

I rooted for you all day today Tom, but I'm not upset that Cink stole it from you.

Tom WOATson had one of the great chokes yesterday.

How the heck do you lose by 6 shots in 4 hole playoff?

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    Tom WOATson had one of the great chokes yesterday.

How the heck do you lose by 6 shots in 4 hole playoff?
    I wouldn't call it a choke job. It was an awful putting stroke he put on his final put, but overall he played one heck of a round. Cink also played a great round but it will go down as Watson choking.

Its easy to lose a playoff by that margin. When you are down and trying to make something happen you can end up losing big. Watson did exactly that. After his poor tee shot on 17 he needed to make something happen because Cink had an iron into the par 5. Even if Watson pars 17 he is 2 down.

This is what I don't understand. You see players in all kinds of sports "choke". And Watson obviously tightened up on that putt on 18. But if a person tries to make the same claim about baseball players it is just good ole 'random variation'.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    If this happens I don't know whether to be impressed or not. On one hand, there is no other major that a guy like Watson could perform this well in. This isn't exactly the toughest course in the Open rotation and conditions have been fairly benign. The competition isn't exactly a Who's Who of pro golf.

On the other hand, Watson's 59 and has a fake hip. That's pretty awesome to go out and do this well in any pro tournament much less a major. A guy like Tiger couldn't even make the cut. And, even though these aren't the greatest golfers in the game, they aren't slouches and a lot of them are more used to playing this kind of course.

If this happens, I think Nicklaus' Masters' victory would be a greater feat since it was a tougher course and he beat some of the best players in the game in their prime.
    I agree with the middle paragraph. The winning score was -2; it seems to me the course played up to the Scottish standard with its 23 mph winds.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    This is what I don't understand. You see players in all kinds of sports "choke". And Watson obviously tightened up on that putt on 18. But if a person tries to make the same claim about baseball players it is just good ole 'random variation'.
    I think thats because in baseball where you are set up to fail,its harder to divine what is actually choking.

I mean if a guy's a .300 hitter in the regular season, and he strikes out with runners on 2nd and 3rd in the 9th inning, is it because he choked, or because 6-7 times out of 10 he makes an out?

If Watson choked, it was the putt on 18. After he missed that putt he looked like he knew he didn't have four more holes in him.

Turn Off Ads?