Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2009 British Open

Re: 2009 British Open

Nicklaus was big, but he was 6 years removed from winning 2 majors in a season. less than 3 yers earlier he had a runner up finish in a major. He was even 6th the previous year and had won the Memorial two years prior. So it was a big deal, but I think this dwarfs that (if he can pull it off).
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    Jack winning in 86 at the Masters was pretty special. John Daly winning the PGA in 91 being the 8th alternate was a pretty big win as well.
    Those were great, but if Watson wins tomorrow it will blows those two out of the water. He's 59 and he's leading a major with a round to go. He's also the best links player ever.

This is crazy. I'm looking forward to watching. Too bad Tiger or Phil aren't playing with him tomorrow. Then, it'd be off-the-charts interesting.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

It's already a beautiful thing.

If Old Tom Watson pulls this off, it will be the greatest feat in golf history.

Nicklaus in '86 was awesome in its own way. He came from behind on the last day with a blistering back nine.

Watson has been under intense scrutiny the whole way, which brings much more pressure. The interviews, the commentary, the weight of carrying the lead through the whole tournament, it's so improbable, so unlikely, if Hollywood wrote it, we'd never believe it.

Do it, Tom.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I hope he can pull it off. It is amazing what Watson has done so far. I was just reading the numbers and Watson last won a PGA event back in 1998 and he last won a major in 1983. If he wins he would be the oldest person to win a major by 11 years.

If this happens I don't know whether to be impressed or not. On one hand, there is no other major that a guy like Watson could perform this well in. This isn't exactly the toughest course in the Open rotation and conditions have been fairly benign. The competition isn't exactly a Who's Who of pro golf.

On the other hand, Watson's 59 and has a fake hip. That's pretty awesome to go out and do this well in any pro tournament much less a major. A guy like Tiger couldn't even make the cut. And, even though these aren't the greatest golfers in the game, they aren't slouches and a lot of them are more used to playing this kind of course.

If this happens, I think Nicklaus' Masters' victory would be a greater feat since it was a tougher course and he beat some of the best players in the game in their prime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Tom Watson tied for the lead with three holes to play. Westwood in trouble on 16.

Update: Westwood with a bogey on 16. Watson alone at -2 and safely on the green in regulation at 16.
    Last edited by texasdave; 07-19-2009 at 12:49 PM.

Watson rolls in a little tester at 16 for par and walks to the 17th tee leading by one. Change coming rapidly at the British Open. Westwood in the rough off the tee at 17 makes a remarkable second shot and has a putt for eagle. Stewart Cink birdies 18 to grab a share of the lead with Watson. The ball is falling into the hole again and this Championship is up for grabs still.
    Last edited by texasdave; 07-19-2009 at 12:59 PM.

Westwood strokes his eagle putt and it does everything but go in the hole. He taps in for birdie and moves back to -2. Watson is just off the fairway and hits a fairway wood that rolls just off the green. If he gets down in two from about 20 feet he will retake the lead at -3.

Watson up one going into the final hole, bring it on home.

Tom Watson birdies 17 and is heading to the final hole of the Open with a one-stroke lead. Cink is in the clubhouse at -2. Westwood is playing 18 at -2 but hit a fairway bunker off the tee. Par, in all likelihood, wins it for Watson. Four strokes from history.

Watson with an excellent drive on 18. Now hit it on the green, two putts, history.

Update: Westwood bogies 18 to finish at -1. Watson hits his second and rolls off the back of the green. He needs an up and down to win this thing or else both Watson and Cink will head out for a 4-hole playoff.
    Last edited by texasdave; 07-19-2009 at 01:21 PM.

Got some work to do now.

Watson rolls it about 6-8 feet past. Yikes! Nerves got to Watson on that putt. It never had a chance. Playoff between Cink and Watson.
    Last edited by texasdave; 07-19-2009 at 01:26 PM.

Playoff. Cink will probably take this one. Pulling for Watson though, isn't everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    Playoff. Cink will probably take this one. Pulling for Watson though, isn't everyone?

Definitely pulling for Tom.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?