Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will the Reds trade?

Who will the Reds trade?

We're headed toward the deadline in the next two weeks. Who will they trade? Feel free to say nobody.

I'm guessing Todd Frazier and Josh Roenicke. If veterans, I'll go with Arroyo and Weathers.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-17-2009 at 06:05 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who will the Reds trade?

Easy answer - not who I want them to trade.

Serious answer - Weathers. Nice player but not worth the money owed for his 2010 option. Plus we have a lot of young RH relievers.

Arroyo (to a Northeast team), Harang (to a California team), Taveras (any team could use a pinch-runner and outfield speed), Hernandez (if someone's regular catchers gets injured), Gomes (to the AL)

I'm guessing Rhodes, Arroyo, Harang, and Encarnacion all go, along with Travis Wood and Josh Roenicke. Perhaps Drew Stubbs. Thinking of a huge salary purge for an off-season spending spree.

Probably not much of anyone. They will likely try to save a few bucks so I'll go with Arthur Rhodes who is probably the most likely to be sought after and with the way good bullpen arms are currently being hoarded should bring back something solid in return. I suspect Gomes and Nix will be dangled just for slight salary relief. Stormy could be dealt but for some reason I suspect he won't be. I doubt any big salaries get moved but if so Harang is the one most likely to go as he represents a solid arm for contending teams who doesn't make an alarming amount of money relatively speaking.

If I had my way it would be Weathers, Arroyo, Taveras, Gomes, and maybe EE.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I don't think we see much action at all. They're terrified of scaring away the fans by trading somebody who would net a return worth trading for and they don't have the guts/payroll to make a significant enough move to make a difference for this year.

If any move is made, it will be for a relatively small upgrade, if that, in the OF.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I doubt we see any trades, it's the same old "maybe we'll get hot and win 82 games" logic that has been a Reds tradition for years.
    Go Gators!

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I think they want top move Arroyo but no one is going to bite.

I think they will move Harrang...outside shot at Weathers
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I'm guessing Rhodes, Arroyo, Harang, and Encarnacion all go, along with Travis Wood and Josh Roenicke. Perhaps Drew Stubbs. Thinking of a huge salary purge for an off-season spending spree.
    Just curious here, but in what scenario are the Reds dumping salary and trading top prospects?
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Just curious here, but in what scenario are the Reds dumping salary and trading top prospects?
    Perhaps one similar to the Brewers trading Carlos Lee to the Rangers along with top prospect Nelson Cruz for Francisco Cordero, Kevin Mench and prospect Laynce Nix. I always assumed Cruz was included because Lee was expensive and the Rangers knew that signing him was unlikely. The Rangers wanted something of value for the long run for their players.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

If the Reds had solid lineup, a great rotation and a solid lefty out of the pen was one of the final few pieces to make a pennant run, I'd take Rhodes in a heartbeat. Maybe a team in truly in that position will feel the same and offer something of value - and Jocketty will jump on it.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 07-17-2009 at 09:41 PM.

I'm with the not much action at all group. The question being who will the Reds trade rather than who do I wish they'd deal.

Senor Votto

No one

I'd like to think Walt would see how much he can get out of Bronson, now that he is lukewarm - but I have a feeling the "we're so close" ideology will rule instead.

Yeah, I talk about what I would try to do if I called the shots, but if we're talking really real reality here then the answer is not much to nothing at all. The same strategy of mediocrity this franchise has followed for the last decade that will likely result in the same mediocre results.

They won't trade veterans who shouldn't be part of the nucleus for the next three years for young talent that might becuse it will be harder to sell the fan base that they're in the thick of the race. They won't trade youngsters for veteran guys who might actually allow them a chance to compete either because it will cost them money.

The result is likely to be a roster in the next couple of years with five or six guys taking about 40-50%of the payroll that other clubswon't tough, with younger guys who could probably put up similar numbers blocked because of said guys making said payoll dollars.

There will probably also be the same hole in the middle of the lineup come next spring with the FO telling us all is fine because they were able to sign Cory Willy Patterson-Taveras III at a real bargain.

Turn Off Ads?