Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Introducing Todd Frazier, Five-Tool Stud Who'll Help Rebuild the Cincinnati Reds

Introducing Todd Frazier, Five-Tool Stud Who'll Help Rebuild the Cincinnati Reds

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...d-todd-frazier

Lately, the Cincinnati Reds have been on a youth movement, building their team from the farm system. Jay Bruce and Joey Votto are both great examples of that.

But there is another prospect in the Reds' farm system who will be a star when he gets the call to the majors.

That future star is Todd Frazier.

Some people might be scratching their heads, wondering who this kid is. Allow me to make the formal introductions for you.

Frazier is only 23 but not shy of being in the spotlight.

In the 1998 Little League World Series, Frazier, who was 12 at the time, was the main star for the Toms River, New Jersey team that won the championship that season by defeating Japan. Frazier went 4-for-4 with a clutch, late-inning home run that helped the Toms River team defeat Japan. After that game, the team was on every talk show from Rosie O'Donnell to Oprah Winfrey.

Frazier's next path was being the star of the Toms River High School South Indians baseball team. In his freshman year of 2001, he started in center field and batted .350. The team got to the New Jersey state finals but lost the final game.

His sophomore year Frazier was moved to shortstop, his most natural position, and moved from the No. 3 hole to leadoff. Frazier was the leading hitter of that team, batting nearly .400, and led the team in home runs.

That year, the Indians went 8-1 down the stretch to finish 20-9 and won the New Jersey State Championship. Frazier, now 16, had already won two major titles before he had even driven a car yet. He was named second team All-State in New Jersey.

His junior year was even better. Frazier batted over .420 as the leadoff hitter, belted over 10 home runs (which is like 40 in MLB comparisons), and helped guide the Indians in 2003 to a second New Jersey State Championship. Frazier was also named First Team All-State in New Jersey. Frazier had won back-to-back titles in high school.

His senior year, the Indians were still a playoff team but regressed, as they finished 18-10 and were eliminated from the New Jersey state playoffs in the semifinals. But Frazier ended up breaking several school records, including the one for home runs. Frazier hit .521 that year and ended his high school career with a .443 average.

In the June 2004 MLB Draft, Frazier was selected in the 37th round by the Colorado Rockies but did not sign with them because of his scholastic obligations to Rutgers University.

Frazier shined at Rutgers. In 2005, he won All-American honors from Baseball America. In 2007, he was a First-Team All-American and was named 2007 Big East Player of the Year. He finished 2007 with 22 home runs, which was fourth best in the nation. He finished his career with Rutgers as a .347 hitter.

In the June 2007 MLB Draft, the Reds drafted Frazier in the first round as a supplemental draft pick.

In 2008, Frazier played 100 games for the lower-level Single-A Sarasota Reds, hitting .281 with 12 home runs and 54 RBI, and then finished playing 30 games with the higher-level Single-A Dayton Dragons, hitting .321 with seven home runs and 20 RBI.

So in 2008, Frazier finished with a .301 average, hitting 19 home runs and 74 RBI. Not too bad as a 22-year-old in his first season in baseball, even if it is the minors.

So far in 2009, while playing for the Double-A Carolina Mudcats, Frazier is hitting .312 with 10 home runs and 46 RBI, plus was named as a starter in left field for the Southern League All-Star Game.

You might be wondering how I know so much about Frazier. I was one of his teammates in high school on the 2001 and 2002 teams, so I too was a part of that state championship squad. I've seen Todd evolve from a 12-year-old prodigy into a 23-year-old slugger with so much potential.

Frazier's family is not unfamiliar to the Major League scene; Frazier's eldest brother Charlie was drafted by the Marlins in 1999, and their middle brother Jeff was drafted by the Tigers in 2004 in the third round. Jeff is currently with the Triple-A Toledo Mud Hens as an outfielder and hitting .270 (Jeff is also one of my former teammates from high school and is getting closer to making the major leagues).

At 6'3" and 220 pounds, Frazier has the power to slug home runs like Alex Rodriguez, hit for average like Joe Mauer, and play great defense like Torii Hunter in the outfield and Derek Jeter in the infield. Frazier is currently a left fielder, but if needed, he can play shortstop, third base, and first base, plus has a history of pitching.

Anywhere he is positioned, he is going to do well. His history says so.

So Reds fans, get ready for the next superstar to get called up to play alongside Bruce, Votto, and Brandon Phillips.

Frazier might be a young adult at 23, but the spotlight has never scared him since he was on national television as a 12-year-old. Once called up, Frazier will be a star in the majors for years to come.

For you Reds fans, you just have to hope Walt Jocketty doesn't deal Frazier away before he gets to put on that Cincinnati uniform, because I promise you, he is worth waiting to see play.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Introducing Todd Frazier, Five-Tool Stud Who'll Help Rebuild the Cincinnati Reds

You might be wondering how I know so much about Frazier. I was one of his teammates in high school on the 2001 and 2002 teams, so I too was a part of that state championship squad. I've seen Todd evolve from a 12-year-old prodigy into a 23-year-old slugger with so much potential.
    At 6'3" and 220 pounds, Frazier has the power to slug home runs like Alex Rodriguez, hit for average like Joe Mauer, and play great defense like Torii Hunter in the outfield and Derek Jeter in the infield. Frazier is currently a left fielder, but if needed, he can play shortstop, third base, and first base, plus has a history of pitching.
    Ok, exaggerate much? I love Frazier but he took that a bit far. Although I do think he is an important player for our future, maybe one of the most important. Fun read all the same.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Re: Introducing Todd Frazier, Five-Tool Stud Who'll Help Rebuild the Cincinnati Reds

Good to hear we have the greatest player to play the game in our system.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post

I am a huge Todd Frazier fan but this guy went a bit overboard on his scouting report. I'll cut him some slack though since he apparently went to school with Todd. Naturally he's going to be excited about Frazier since he played with him but he went a little too far.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...d-todd-frazier

.... play great defense like .... and Derek Jeter in the infield. .
    Jeter? Seriously?

hahaha Good catch, klw. Anyone who has seen Jeter play defense lately might actually prefer Frazier at shortstop to Jeter.

Senor Votto

The more I read about this guy the more I get excited about him. And the more I dislike Edwin. I can't wait till he's starting somewhere for the Reds. Hopefully at 3rd base

My only question is how much can we consider him a future option at 3rd? Can he play 3rd and be ok defensively for 1-2 seasons until Soto/Francisco can take over?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    My only question is how much can we consider him a future option at 3rd? Can he play 3rd and be ok defensively for 1-2 seasons until Soto/Francisco can take over?
    Right now, I think he would be a better defender than either of them at 3B and certainly a better bat moving forward than Francisco.

Whoever wrote this doesn't understand low A ball and high A ball very well

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Right now, I think he would be a better defender than either of them at 3B and certainly a better bat moving forward than Francisco.
    I guess what I'm asking is how does he compare to EE defensively?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I guess what I'm asking is how does he compare to EE defensively?
    How does he compare to the worst defensive 3B in the league 4 years running? I would wager to say better.

Ok, I guess that answers that question.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 07-18-2009 at 01:17 PM.

If we let EE play out his contract, he'll probably be a "Type A" Free Agent when we lose him. I would like to get a late 1st Round pick for him. If not, the worst scenario is that we trade him mid-way through the 2010 season because we have a replacement that's pushing him out, and we get an offer much better than a "potential" player from a late 1st Round pick. It's likely that EE has yet another season next year of .800+ OPS, and it's even more likely that he has the best year of his career and has an .850+ OPS. As a 3rd Baseman Offensively, that would put him among the Top-4 in the National League next season. And, at his age, we could get a lot for him, irregardless of what kind of Defense he has at the time. A team can live with his defense when they get that much offense.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    How does he compare to the worst defensive 3B in the league 4 years running? I would wager to say better.
    Really? If EE is so bad and Frazier is so good, why haven't they been playing him at 3rd every freaking day instead of moving him around the diamond? Frazier may be so bad at 3rd we'll be longing for the days of EE at 3rd. It just seems to me that if they think a guy is going to be a catcher, they catch him as much as possible in the minors to see if he can handle the position. I know Francisco's in AA with him but if Frazier is the heir apparent at 3rd, send him to LOU to play 3rd every day. I worry about a guy like this that he's going to be pigeonholed as a utility player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?