Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Introducing Todd Frazier, Five-Tool Stud Who'll Help Rebuild the Cincinnati Reds

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Introducing Todd Frazier, Five-Tool Stud Who'll Help Rebuild the Cincinnati Reds

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Really? If EE is so bad and Frazier is so good, why haven't they been playing him at 3rd every freaking day instead of moving him around the diamond? Frazier may be so bad at 3rd we'll be longing for the days of EE at 3rd. It just seems to me that if they think a guy is going to be a catcher, they catch him as much as possible in the minors to see if he can handle the position. I know Francisco's in AA with him but if Frazier is the heir apparent at 3rd, send him to LOU to play 3rd every day. I worry about a guy like this that he's going to be pigeonholed as a utility player.
    Frazier is fine at 3B. I don't think the Reds see him as a 3B though for whatever reason. That said, does anyone honestly think Edwin Encarnacion should be playing 3B every day with his defense? If so, I have to ask why.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Introducing Todd Frazier, Five-Tool Stud Who'll Help Rebuild the Cincinnati Reds

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Frazier is fine at 3B. I don't think the Reds see him as a 3B though for whatever reason. That said, does anyone honestly think Edwin Encarnacion should be playing 3B every day with his defense? If so, I have to ask why.

That's a question the Reds need to address.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Which I don't get. Unless Frazier plays third, one of Alonso, Votto or Frazier has to go, and soon now. I'd just assume Votto in left, Alonso at first and Frazier at 3rd. This along with a (hopefully) improved Bruce goes a long way to making the offense good without making a trade.

Ok, then who are the Reds planning at playing at 3rd after 2010 if not Frazier? EE again?? Unless EE can show some improvement I'd rather see what Frazier could do.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Ok, then who are the Reds planning at playing at 3rd after 2010 if not Frazier? EE again?? Unless EE can show some improvement I'd rather see what Frazier could do.
    Francisco seems like the guy they want.

Francisco seems like the guy they want.
    But is it safe to say that he'll be ready to take over on day 1 in 2011?

But is it safe to say that he'll be ready to take over on day 1 in 2011?
    In my mind, no way. In the Reds.... probably. They obviously don't care about OBP. If he can hit .260, he will play. Even if that means he posts a .285 OBP.

Well if Francisco is the future at 3rd hopefully the Reds DON'T rush him and use Frazier or pick up a decent FA on a short-term deal as a stop-gap.

Well if Francisco is the future at 3rd hopefully the Reds DON'T rush him and use Frazier or pick up a decent FA on a short-term deal as a stop-gap.
    They have already rushed him. He barely posted a .300 OBP in Sarasota last year and was promoted.

They have already rushed him. He barely posted a .300 OBP in Sarasota last year and was promoted.
    I think they will make up for it by leaving Francisco at AA next year. It will be a big year for him, he has to improve.

As I've posted before, I'm less concerned about Francisco's OBP problem, I think he can overcome it and still hit. He has always hit for extra bases. But the guy makes so many errors, it's really hard for me to see him as a third baseman in the big leagues.

I refuse to believe they think Frazier is a lesser prospect than Fransisco.

In my mind, no way. In the Reds.... probably. They obviously don't care about OBP. If he can hit .260, he will play. Even if that means he posts a .285 OBP.
    It is frustrating to project things for the REDS when the right players won't get the proper at-bats at the big-league level under the current decision-makers.

It can feel like your wasting your time. Someday, Dusty will be gone. Keep doing your great work about the REDS' minor leaguers. It's well appreciated.

Until a significantly better defensive replacement at 3rd Base comes along, who can post at the very least a .750 OPS, I'd rather have EE there through the end of 2010, as I can't see EE posting less than an .840 OPS in 2010. I'll take the 90 points from the Right-handed bat over the better defense. But, I'll take the significantly better defense if the OPS difference is less than 90 points in 2010.

One of the issues with this is Shortstop. Right now we don't have offense or defense at shortstop. With no defense at shortstop, I'd go with more defense at 3rd base and less offense. But, with more defense at shortstop, I'd go with more offense at 3rd base and less defense. With both no defense and no offense at shortstop, I'll take the Offense at 3rd Base, because I already have no Offense at Centerfield. That's just too many spots with no Offense.

Before the season began I wanted the same thing as many others wanted. Very good Defense in Centerfield (Dickerson), and great defense at Shortstop, whatever it takes to make that happen, whether it was Gonzalez or someone else. The Gonzalez solution was a mistake. I would have made the same mistake, as it looked like he was healthy. But, I wouldn't have had Hairston as my backup. I would have obtained a better utility player defensively than Hairston because it was highly likely that Gonzalez would hit the DL at some time during the season. To support EE, you need a great Shortstop. Otherwise, it puts too much pressure on your pitchers.

Dusty's great at putting too much pressure on his pitchers with his lineup construction.

Perhaps the acquisition of Sutton will slow that down, and allow them to handle him better this season and next season.

If EE hits at an .850 OPS clip from this point forward through the end of 2010, then Frazier can stay in the minor leagues and work on raising his OBP.

Damage done is damage done, I know.

You must mean Fransisco

Turn Off Ads?