Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Still Want to Trade Edwin?

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Still Want to Trade Edwin?

Not all were for trading EE. But many were and there were reports that mentioned his name in trade talks. Since his return from the DL (July 3) in 11 games...

> 38 AB, 15 H, 3 HR, 7 EBH, .395 BA
    > .452 OB%, .763 SLG, 1.216 OPS

Hot bat. Fluke or a sign that the 26-yr-old can be a force in the future for this team? Maybe "it" has snapped into place and he has broken on through to the other side. Many have waited for "it", many weren't sure but hoped "it" would happen, some wanted to unload him. The deadline looms and his production since his return from the DL might have changed the mindset of the FO.

I stick with him. There is no one in the minors who can help and money can be better spent on other positions. I hope "it" has happened.

Nice work since the return, Edwin.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Still Want to Trade Edwin?

I'd trade anybody for the right return... that said, I've always been one of Edwins biggest supporters. I hope the Reds hang in there with EE, when healthy he will produce.

This Club has much bigger problems to address than Edwin at 3B.

Well, he's not a 1.200 ops bat? And he can't play third base.

I don't understand why some people can't just accept Edwin for what he is at this point. He's going to be an .800 OPS streak hitter who has a chance to improve and maybe put it all together at one point. He had 33 doubles and 15 HRs in 2006 in only 406 ABs, and last year he hit 26 homers. For his career he has an 80 point BA/OB split, so he has a decent eye at the plate. He's probably the most sure thing hitter on the team next to Votto (yes, I'm including Bruce who obviously has more upside), and he's 26 years old. Edwin has the ability to be an .850-900 OPS guy, and at worst you can expect an OPS right around .800 OPS from him. On a team that has Taveras, Hairston, and Laynce Nix starting on it something should be said for a guy like Edwin. He's underappreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

EE can be frustrating at times but the biggest problem with him is the defense. See if someone like Mike Schmidt can help him. Next year he'll be 27. Isn't 27 the mythical age when things for some players start to click? I'd hold onto him for now.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Pretty small window if you ask me. Lets see what he does in the second half. But I'm rootin' for the kid. But he needs to "turn that corner".

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I don't understand why some people can't just accept Edwin for what he is at this point.
    Why do we have to accept it when what we have seen out of him, up to this point, has been a disappointment due to his inconsistency?

who has a chance to improve and maybe put it all together at one point....Edwin has the ability to be an .850-900 OPS guy
    How many chances and opportunities does he get? When? When are we going to start to see this? That's what Red fans are asking themselves.

On a team that has Taveras, Hairston, and Laynce Nix starting on it something should be said for a guy like Edwin. He's underappreciated.
    One does not justify the other. Just because we have a Taveras and JHJ on this team does not shine up EE's star any more then what it has been, or make him somehow immune from scrutiny. But the analogy does bring up another valid point. IMHO, EE possesses greater talent and potential then those other guys. Notice I said possesses. Yet so far we really haven't seen it come to fruitation. Why?

Let me put on my psychiatry cap for a second. I'm no psychiatrist, but I have stayed in a Holiday Express.....

Because from what I have read on this kid, he is a very emotionally withdrawn individual. He has his emotional highs and lows. And he allows it to affect him in an adverse way. Right now he is on an emotional high. I watched the game last night and when he hit that Hr he was all smiles as everyone was huddling around him and patting him on the back. A good thing. But it seems like he always needs that positive reinforcement because he is somehow unsure of his own abilities. He lacks self-confidence in his own potential. And when he goes into a funk he withdraws, and it affects his play.

This coaching staff has bent over backwards working with this kid for the last several years trying to help him realize that potential and improve defensively at 3B.

So it's not an issue of being under-appreciated as much as it's frustration on the fan's part, who see the kid's potential and talent, and wonder when is HE going to see it?

But he's back, and he's healthy. So leave him alone and lets see what he does in the second half. But he needs to have a good second half, or the criticism is going to come, and IMO, it's justified.

But 3B is not a huge, pressing problem right now. We have other fish to fry.
    Last edited by GAC; 07-18-2009 at 07:33 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

I'd trade EE in a heart beat.

He has the talent, but I don't believe he'll put it all together. He's a terrible 3rd baseman and most likely will stay that way. He can hit, at times, but his month-long disappearances cripple the offense.

If I'm the Reds, I try to sell high on EE and Arroyo with their current hot streaks.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Not really. Not so interested in Rolen any more.

EdE is healthy now, and he's young. If he puts his offensive game together -- patience plus power plus full-field approach -- he could put up impressive numbers. Low risk -- he's relatively cheap still -- high reward. The defense will never be great, but he can probably reduce his throwing errors over time. Patience isn't easy, but Edwin could be on the brink of an impressive breakout, and there's no real reason not to find out if he is.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Hard to believe EE is only two years older than Stubbs and Heisey. For me, that really puts things in perspective. I'm not against trading him, but if he is traded it better be for an absolutely vital piece of the puzzle (like a young SS). The team has other options on the way, but none are guaranteed to be what Edwin already is.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

yes. however i am ok with keeping him at 3B until Frazier arrives in about 12 months.

I'd deal him tomorrow, not because he's horrible, but because he probably has some value (right now, he's a Type B with a good shot at Type A free agency status after 2010 and he can OPS 800 or so with seriously subpar defense). Not only that, the Reds have Frazier, Francisco, and Soto who should all be ready in consecutive years starting at around the All Star Break 2010.

Like posters have said, he's not a huge problem, but, overall, he's been below average to date. Perhaps he does find "it". If so, great. I'm guessing he's going to be much the same as he's been.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

If only the entire league was made up of Braden Looper and Jeff Suppan.

I hope EE is getting it, I really do. But until he realizes right field exists...he will continue to aggravate with lunging ground balls pounded to third on those pitches on the outer half of the plate. The loop and pause in his throwing motion still exists, and while there haven't been an onslaught of errors so far, that tendency will certainly bring more.

The Reds have had the keen ability to trade guys 3 years to late, tremendously diminishing any value they may have in return.
    Harang/ Arroyo/ Cordero/ EE have all passed their prime trading value....but can all be part of a pretty signifcant haul this year if the cards are played well.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

He's not untouchable. He can be dealt if it improves the team. For the record, I don't think the Reds have a 3B in the system capable of year as good as the one EdE had in 2008. I think Edwin has a few more of those in his future. Trading him to get rid of him and make way for kids who would have to top out to match him is simply settling for lesser players at a lower cost, but if he can be dealt to fill an important need and one of the kids can be used to backfill with an acknowledged probable loss in production, the team may still come out ahead.

Dealing EdE is dependent completely on what he could bring back. Otherwise keep him and deal the kids.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

The other thing nobody is factoring in on EE is that he was probably playing hurt in April before he went on the DL.

This was from BP back in late April:
    Encarnacion had been dealing with some wrist soreness since spring training, but it got significantly worse after Monday's game. Tests showed a chip fracture in his wrist, possibly signaling a stress fracture as the cause of the previous soreness. These are extremely difficult to diagnose, even with imaging, so it's hard to blame the Reds; it does at least explain why Encarnacion was struggling at the plate.
    EE's April number vs. July numbers:
    April: .127/.286/.190 for an OPS of .476 with 1 HR in 76 PAs.
    July: .395/.452/.763 for an OPS of 1.216 with 3 HRs in 41 PAs.

Obviously, EE will not continue to be a 1.216 hitter, but I don't place the difference primarily on him being streaky, I place it on the injury.
    ďThis one was a perfect one. I donít know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. Ö I didnít know he could speak like that.Ē Brayan Pena 5/21/14

At the risk of starting another huge thread on it, EdE is streaky. Extremely so.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Turn Off Ads?